13th Annual Ruger Forum East Coast Gathering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Once again, it was our honor to host a fun, and special gathering of like minded folks. The Good Lord,, once again blessed us with FINE weather, and it was a great Gathering.

CG,, we did miss you & wiz! Ron provided a very delicious chocolate cake for Friday & Sat. No soft shells,, but that's ok,, just having FM & his son Will attend was even better.

FM, I hope your trip home was un-eventful and comfortable. We were all concerned about your health, and hope you had no further issues. Keep us posted. We all enjoyed meeting Will, and it was very obvious he was your son. A fine gentleman,, who not only made sure you were taken care of,, but was spotted leaving a lot of lead deposits as well. :D

Blume's badges were really nice. I cheated,, I had a shirt on with my name already on it. :D Once again,, the drinks & such were appreciated by all. I didn't get time for us to get over on the USPSA stage like we normally do. But I think I heard you over there.

Pictures; I left it up to others,, and didn't try & get any. Normally Blume has his camera going, as well as the drone. I never heard the buzz of the drone,, so I knew it was AWOL. Hopefully Kevin & a few others got some stuff to post.

Taterman,, you should hook up with 32MagFan,, he's from Ky, and was here. Come on down!

Watertender,, that cat is Miss Penny's baby. He's a real cute one. And actually, his eyes aren't normally that wide open. He's got a "soft, sleepy-eyed" look most often. And Kevin,, he's usually very calm & relaxed. Taking pictures of him is easy.

Some of the folks are on the road right now,, headed back to their homes. Safe travels my friends.

I had a couple of guys who are local to me,, and shoot USPSA here that I had invited. John & Anthony. I had invited a couple of other good guys,, but one was off to Ga with family to see his new, and 1st grandbaby. One guy, who's also local,, is mostly a lurker here. But he's been a regular for several years. (Danny.) His kids are also invited when they can come. This year,, one of his daughters came,, Katie,,, and she didn't want to stop shooting even when we put out the low country boil supper Saturday. We were filling plates & faces and she was still downrange burning powder. I may have to hide my GP-100 MC from her. :D
Anthony & I have known each other for a few decades,, and he's one of my two gentlemen who runs my USPSA matches when I'm away,, (Usually only once a year,, when I go to the ROCS/OGCA show.)
John is a "newer" shooter,, but who's also a VERY good USPSA shooter with his Carry Optics division gun. (He placed second overall in last weekends match,, losing out to an Open class top shooter.) But John had asked me a bit about revolvers.
Well, I took the time to introduce him to our wonderful world of revolvers,, mostly in the SA line. Even though he's quire capable as a shooter,, I started him out with a .22 Wrangler,, and progressed upwards in calibers. .32 H&R mag, .327, .357, .256 Win (in a Hawkeye,) 45 Colt with medium loads, .44 mag, .480 & .454 Casull. By the time he'd gotten through the various guns, and calibers,, and seeing his smiles,, I simply asked him; "Well, whatcha think now?" He replied, (very enthusiastically) "I'm SOLD on Single Actions! I want some!" He also played with a few of my DA revolvers,, including my Super GP-100 9mm, and a Super Redhawk in .480. Lots & lots of smiles there.
But it was fun to hear a few comments on how John cleaned the Texas Star quickly & with only 5 shots, or how fast he smoked the Steel Challenge "Five to Go" stage.

Sam Summey came down,, as well as bringing one of his son's,, Cliff to enjoy a fun relaxed day at a range. Cliff is also an aviator,, and dern good too. He's the only son who lives close enough to be able to attend with his dad fairly easily. I was busy with other stuff,, so I didn't get to see what all they were playing with.

NC-FNS & his wife visited for a while,, and I think he is planning a much longer stay for next year. He seemed to be smiling a lot at all the "stuff" and such. Glad he was able to visit.

32MagFan,, quietly slid in from Ky. But his layout of Rugers,, well,,, impressive. He & I were enjoying watching John progress through the various revolvers,, and both of us were chuckling at his responses & smiles after each one went off.

HvyMax was seen with an eclectic selection of unique guns,, and made the range echo with several loud booms & such. I know he was able to burn off a lot of ammo, (and calories as he kept going back & forth with several firearms.) :D

Kevin,, after a normal display of a Texan,, (driving across my driveway cable & not realizing it was there,) settled in & shot an assortment of different stuff. After watching him bang & clang the steel of the "Five to Go" with that STI 2011, in .40 S&W,, I was afraid we were gonna have to put it under lock & key to prevent it from sneaking west of here. :D

Ron kept quietly slipping downrange to bust primers & make the suppressors speak softly. His wife Jackie & Miss Penny had left the boys to play as they went to Asheville to a quilt show.

gramps dog was quite happy early as she wandered from hand to hand getting a lot of petting. But she's not a big fan of loud gunfire so she retired to her place,, guarding the front seat of the truck once the shooting started.

Cholo fired the last shots,, with a big boom, of a .480 Ruger SBH.

But for me,, the best part was just having everybody visit & enjoy themselves. From the normal, relaxed discussions while sitting in the shade,, to the sounds of very quiet pops of a suppressor, to the loud booms of heavy 12 ga slugs, and of course,, seeing folks enjoy a bit of good food & fellowship. Often,, it's the sitting around & various discussions we enjoy that seem to be as popular as the shooting.

I know others will chime in here as they return home & get time to share their memories. So I'll stop rambling,, and just say,, "We'll do it again next year,, Good Lord willing."

Those were not my badges another one of the forum members produced those, I apologize for not remembering his forum name. I hope he will take credit... he had some nice revolvers....

As for Foxmike's Ruger P95.. that was a really head shaker.... it had gone to Ruger and been worked on and the factory said it was fine.. .but it kept jamming....first we decided it was not limp wristing.. in my experience it is almost impossible to do this with a p95, some one pointed out a burr in the forcing chamber and so I suggested we put the barrel in the p95 I had brought... I showed Foxmike's son, I thought he was his grandson, how to disassemble the pistol and we put my barrel in... did not fix the problem.. so next we tried one of my magazines... did not fix the problem but one of Contender's friends tried the pistol and the interesting thing is it worked fine if you fired it fast like almost in full auto but jammed when fired like us old slow guys shoot.... So then I said let's try my recoil spring ... and so I put my recoil spring in with my barrel and magazine but also decided to lube the hell out of the pistol... we shot it and could not make it jam and so decided it was the recoil spring but then walking back to the tables I started thinking it could have been the lube.... and so I put all the original parts back in the now wet pistol and went back and tried it... pistol functioned fine? duh! So, it seems that Ruger had replaced a lot of parts and this was a almost new pistol and just needed extra lube to break it in... at least that is my latest determination.

I'd like to also say thanks to both you and Miss Penny for hosting this event each year. It's very nice, and as I said each year your range just gets nicer and nicer. You've done a lot to keep it up.

And man, that STI was so very nice. I've never shot a 40 caliber before. But that gun made it effortless. I couldn't remember but knew STI changed their name it's Staccato now. So I'm not sure if that model of gun is still available or not. Hmmm. I'm going to have to look for one. 😀

But that's another thing really enjoy about this meet. Each year there are so many new guns to shoot.

And now I'm over in Pigeon Forge. Ugh, there are so many people. Through the National Park it was car after car, more like an interestate than a Park. Just gross.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
It was great to meet some fellow forum members, and I learned a lot from the wealth of knowledge that was there! Maybe I can convince Mrs. NC FNS to come again and go to the quilt show, if it coincides again with East Coast 14 next year. Hopefully my work schedule permits me to attend the whole sh'bang next year.
I encourage anyone who hasn't heard some of Contender's critter catching stories to seek him out next year. They were very entertaining, especially when it came to "the rest of the story" (ala Paul Harvey).

Mrs. Watertender and I have a saying. "Someday is Today". I am still working full-time and we have been running short staffed but I am planning on attending one of your shoots in the future. I missed the OGCA show this summer because of health problems with elderly relatives in both my 1st and current wives families and will try to make it next year. I love the Ruger people and know I would have had a fantastic time with everyone. Tyrone is good people and so are Ron and Jackie. I am sure that I might have known some of the other attendees. Glad everyone had fun and good fellowship. Thanks for the invite

Cholo

Staff member
Contender and Miss Penny outdid themselves once again! Thank you!

For me it's all about the fellowship and everyone who attends is good people :)

I really enjoyed contender's Bisley 480 loaded with 400 grain bullets! I could appreciate the Bisley grip with a fairly hard kicking cartridge.

For those who have never been, come on out! If it's quite a distance, east TN and western NC are vacation paradises with plenty of things to do.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

For Blume's benefit he said: "...I showed Foxmike's son, I thought he was his grandson, ...". Not only is he my son but he and I share the same birthday. I turned 44 the day he was born ... on 6 May.

What was done a LOT.

8J9FmcPl.jpg

:):)

Last edited:

32magfan

Blackhawk
I finally made it home to little old Burkesville. I want to add a big Thank You to Contender and Miss Penny for the great food and hospitality. It takes some work to put on a successful shindig like we enjoyed this weekend.
It was also great to meet the other fellow RF members and Contender's fellow USPSA shooters. Everyone brought interesting stuff to shoot (some of which I missed out on which was my fault). I was able to shoot a Hawkeye and a Maxi for the first time…. A couple of guns moving nearer to the top of the wish list.
HvyMax brought some very interesting things to shoot.

For those who have not attended and are "thinking about it ", life is too short to put things off. This is a very good event with lots of other like-minded folks with great guns to shoot and delicious food.

32Magfan

Thank you to Contender
And Ms Penny. Opening up their home and gun range to the forum members. Friday nights food was "down home cooking" at its finest, Thank you Ms Penny. Saturday was boom day. I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. We shot guns, we shot the bull, we swapped stuff, did I mention we ate? Snacks and drinks were present. If you are diabetic—— bring extra medicine lol. Wonderful fellowship with old friends, new friends etc. My pup is old, and the constant gunfire Had her tore up, so we left Saturday night, since I don't sleep well anyway. Pulled off in Knoxville, got turned around and got on I 40 the wrong way, my phone was down to 1%, and I wandered around Ohio and Texas street till I found a way back onto I 40 going WEST!!! Oh well. The rest of the trip was uneventful. Got home at 0230.
Again Thanks for the use
of the facilities Ty and Penney!!!
gramps, who took no pictures nor prisoners lol

contender

Ruger Guru
To help identify the folks in the picture;
Left to right, clockwise;
seated; Kevin, standing red shirt, RoninPa, seated, black shirt, HvyMax, far back, seated FoxMike, Myself standing (in my custom Hawkeye shirt,) seated, black hat, gramps, standing, blue shirt, 32MagFan, & lastly our own Cholo.

A note of fun; Cholo is the only member here,, who has attended ALL 13 of the events.

Yes,, it's a bit of work,, but as often felt,, it's a "Labor of Love." we truly do enjoy the Gathering here.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, that's Will,, FoxMike's son. I missed that.

Anybody else get any other pictures? I was busy,, and also lax in thinking that others would do the honors.