woods carry, who carries what?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
mobius, it's fed a diet of 10grs Unique, CCI 300, and a 255gr Keith-style cast, semi-wadcutter.

BusMaster007X

Bearcat
jackruff said:
Super Blackhawk .44 magnum 5.5", or GP100 .357 magnum 6", or SP 101 2.5" .357 magnum.

On a slidiing scale, these choices would work...until the fingernail, bite-back option! :wink:

"Nice puppy at the door picture" turns into:
Yellowstone_201_-800x554.jpg

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Lipsey .44 Special 4 5/8 Bbl. Buffalo Bore "Heavy" 255 Gr. Keith. Custom field holster with trigger and sight guard,and I also figured out that a simple flap holster can be ideal. The 44 Special Flat Top is certainly a woods rambling,'packing' masterpiece. Ideal for chance year round hog. The Black Hawk 44 Mag 5.5 Bbl. sees less and less trail time.Perhaps a five shot shorter Bbl. 44 mag would be of interest.....?

SP101 .357 short Bbl. has seen some miles. And of course the Single Six,Ruger Flap Holster; circa 1973.

Charter Arms Bulldog five shot .44 Special,2.5 Bbl. .........trail and camp perfection, and Charter Arms brand because Ruger has not yet pictured a compact five shot .44 Spcl. in the catalog.......

MaxP

Buckeye
My most frequent woods carry piece is my .454 Redhawk, stoked with heavy .45 Colt loads -- 360 grain WFNs at about 1,150 fps.

P1000690.jpg

My .45 Colt Bisley also frequently gets the nod:

45Bisley1_zps8968dc78.jpg

MaxP, very nice. Thought about doing that switch myself. What did you do with the Alaskan? I know a guy that did the same thing and put the Redhawk cylinder in the Alaskan and "tried" to sell it. I think he was asking a little too much money, but everything sells at the right price.

mobius

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack said:
MaxP, very nice. Thought about doing that switch myself. What did you do with the Alaskan? I know a guy that did the same thing and put the Redhawk cylinder in the Alaskan and "tried" to sell it. I think he was asking a little too much money, but everything sells at the right price.

I was thinking of switching mine, primarily to keep DW from loading the Alaskan with 454s. She likes to carry and shoot the Alaskan above any others.

MaxP

Buckeye
Bear Paw Jack said:

The .454 cylinder came out of a 7 1/2-inch Super Redhawk I had that I had converted to .500 Linebaugh. I never did get the cylinder that originally came in the Redhawk.

mobius

Bearcat
MaxP said:
The .454 cylinder came out of a 7 1/2-inch Super Redhawk I had that I had converted to .500 Linebaugh. I never did get the cylinder that originally came in the Redhawk.

You were able to just polish that weird gray finish off it? Or was yours polished stainless?

MaxP

Buckeye
mobius said:
MaxP said:

You were able to just polish that weird gray finish off it? Or was yours polished stainless?

It's still gray. The photo doesn't show it well, but it is still gray.

donut757

Blackhawk
i carry a variety of side arms.

I used to carry the 4" Security Six for everything from in the woods to on the boat. It is still my favorite gun and would take it above all others, but i havent carried it out in a while.

This time a year i am workin on hunting stands and near a lot of swamp. I have turned to the LCR in .38 as it is very comfortable IWB or in my pocket. I load it with shot shell for the snakes cuz they can get real nasty. When i start hunting it will be with me also. When i go squirrel hunting in the mountains i will take the .45 Blackhawk. We have seen some a bear or two up that way and the .45 will give me a fighting chance at a turkey if i see one, missed one at like 20+ yards last year.

I will also mix the .22 LCR in every now in the during the winter when the snakes arent around.

jbenceo

Bearcat
I haven't carried it yet, but for the occasion I bought a Smith and Wesson model 657-4 41 mag Mountain Gun, and a box of 250 grain Federal Castcores. I also have a 4" model 629-4 if I wanted to go that route.

chup

Bearcat
The only woods I have been in in the past few years are in PA and Ohio. 357 mag will handle anything I need to worry about. The PA Bears seam to be afraid of people but, I sometimes keep a Riot Gun with 8 Slugs in the Camper.

Joe S.

Hunter
i am down to one single action that is smaller than a .4x caliber. it is a 357 Vaquero. its heavy.

usually i grab my 45 acp Vaquero birdshead and throw it in a holster made for a S&W 586. it fits surprisingly well. really surprised when i tried it. that has become my basic set up. the acp will do anything i need done on the farm, and it is way lighter than my 45 colts or 44's, and WAY lighter than my 357.

if i am in a double action mood, then maybe the 586 or the 625 Smiths... i like both.

and i always have my 38 special LCR with first round being rat shot. its like my backup on the farm. ha!