38 SPL carry opinions or recommendations.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LCRx, 38+P, 1 pound loaded. What's not to like? Well, it is pretty shnappy with 158's. My daughter loves to shoot, but she doesn't love that revolver at all.
I bet she would like the LCR .357 shooting .38. I had a .38, shot it a few times and sold and bought the .357 shooting .38, or .38+P, or SGD, 135gr .357. The 4.5-5 oz difference to me made a huge difference-YMMV.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I had a LCR in .357 and carried SGD, 135gr, short barrel, .357 or a good .38+P. The SGD produces about 80 more FPE than the same loading in .38+P. I found the trigger pull of the LCR excellent. But the price you pay is the trigger reset. You have to train to fully release the trigger for a complete return or it will short stroke. Additionally the trigger return spring is rather weak. It will not push your finger forward with much pressure-you have to train to be sure to do it. I found the LCR a bit large for pocket carry for me-YMMV. I now pocket carry a Glock 42 with Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo. I admit I have developed S&W Lust for the new 642/442 Lipsey's. A few YT videos out. To me this model has all the details I want in a snubbie that I could pocket or belt carry and enjoy shooting at the range. I have no interest in carrying a handgun that I don't/won't shoot frequently at the range. I'm not going to train with a G19 and carry a G42.
I heard an expert that dispelled this as being a problem with the LCR. They said it is user error, not an issue with the LCR. I hought the same thing then I realized I needed to train more. The actual truth was "I sucked," at shooting a snubbie.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I bet she would like the LCR .357 shooting .38. I had a .38, shot it a few times and sold and bought the .357 shooting .38, or .38+P, or SGD, 135gr .357. The 4.5-5 oz difference to me made a huge difference-YMMV.
It would be a great way to go. You can shoot absolutely extra, extra full house 38 special rounds through it, yet have the confidence it will hold up due to it's stainless steel construction, versus the aluminum on the lcr 38 special, or the 442.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I know some will argue it is approximately 3 oz heaver in 357mag, however these are the same people who argue that a glock 19 is superior to the glock 43x, yet there is a 4.9 weight difference between them.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
3.6 oz. Is the difference. That's the equivalent to one deck of playing cards. No biggie.

I heard an expert that dispelled this as being a problem with the LCR. They said it is user error, not an issue with the LCR. I hought the same thing then I realized I needed to train more. The actual truth was "I sucked," at shooting a snubbie.
I stated that this is a training issue. I don't suck at shooting snubbies or the original LCP. But I have shot the LCR .357 and the LCR .22lr enough to not have confidence that in a super high stress situation I wouldn't short stroke the trigger. I agree it isn't a "defect" in the LCR and most shooters need to train a lot to avoid short stroking in a life/death situation. I also shoot various pistols often and the transition between the triggers while shooting quickly I found difficult-YMMV. I still have the LCR .22 and really like shooting it. IMO if one can shoot a heavy DA snubbie well, the trigger control of a pistol is easy. The point being that the trigger reset of the S&W is much better for me than the LCR, but the trigger pull of the LCR is better than the factory Smith trigger. IMO the trigger of the Ruger requires more training than the Smith when shooting very quickly under pressure. Unless I would give up training with pistols and trained only with the LCR I wouldn't carry the LCR. I like shooting my highly modified 1911 but I won't carry it because there is a likelihood I wouldn't disengage the thumb safety timely. This isn't a gun "defect" but a training issue. If I gave up training and carrying Glocks I would train and carry the 1911. The same with the LCR.

3.6 oz. Is the difference. That's the equivalent to one deck of playing cards. No biggie.

Rugers website has the 357lcr weighing 17.1 ounces. This Smith 357 snubby weighs 11.7 ounce.
20230627_112619.jpg

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
The smith's 11.7 oz 357 magnum will not hold up near as well as the lcr 357 magnum. The two guns aren't even in the same league as each other, not to mention 158 grain 357mag ammo is torture through a 17.1 oz gun. Shootability and follow-up shots are a definite concern with the smith as well.

The smith's 11.7 oz 357 magnum will not hold up near as well as the lcr 357 magnum. The two guns aren't even in the same league as each other, not to mention 158 grain 357mag ammo is torture through a 17.1 oz gun. Shootability and follow-up shots are a definite concern with the smith as well.
You are right of course. That's probably why I shoot these the most.
20230912_115053.jpg
20230803_164005.jpg

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
You are right of course. That's probably why I shoot these the mostView attachment 38218
Kimber K6S ans sp101 both with hogue monogrips. Very nice! Excellent weopons, as a revolver should be. I have an sp101 with the exact same set-up. I hate the way the LCR looks compared to the above guns, yet for warm weather carry (deep concealment) the weight of the lcr 357mag works for me. I definitely don't flash the lcr around and say," isn't my revolver pretty!" It's not! The 442 and your guns above are works of art, compared to glocks and the lcr and smith and wesson bodyguard. Yet they are good at what they do.

s4s4u

Hunter

Oh, I am sure it would make a huge difference. She shoots my scoped Bisley in 45 Colt that is loaded pretty warmish. Weight is difference maker.

Kimber K6S ans sp101 both with hogue monogrips. Very nice! Excellent weopons, as a revolver should be. I have an sp101 with the exact same set-up. I hate the way the LCR looks compared to the above guns, yet for warm weather carry (deep concealment) the weight of the lcr 357mag works for me. I definitely don't flash the lcr around and say," isn't my revolver pretty!" It's not! The 442 and your guns above are works of art, compared to glocks and the lcr and smith and wesson bodyguard. Yet they are good at what they do.
My carry gun is in fact a Glock.
20220907_080801.jpg

Glock too won't win any beauty contests, yet they are great guns. I have the 43x for ccw with Trijicon HD Night Sights. The factory polymer sights are junk.
You beat me to it! I have a 17, 19, 26, 43 and 42. Sold a 34 and gave the 17 to my son. I don't think of myself as a Glock fanboy but the darn thing just work. I think of my G26 as a great white shark-one ugly killing machine. No heart, no soul like a revolver; just a deadly highly functional machine.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
You beat me to it! I have a 17, 19, 26, 43 and 42. Sold a 34 and gave the 17 to my son. I don't think of myself as a Glock fanboy but the darn thing just work. I think of my G26 as a great white shark-one ugly killing machine. No heart, no soul like a revolver; just a deadly highly functional machine.
I agree but before I carried a Glock (G27 converted to 357 Sig for EDC), I did carry a wheelgun because that's what I grew up with (Mostly SA's). At various times I have carried S & W, Colt, Ruger, High Standard, Taurus and others. My picks are:

#1. Colt Detective Special (6 shot)
#2. S & W Mod 38 and 638. (hidden hammer)

I have handled but not shot a Mod. 60 in 357. I usually pocket carried, so I preferred a hammer shroud, hence the 38 and 638.

Others considered: S & W Chief's (various incarnation), High Standard Sentinel in 22 mag., S & W Model 19 (nice but too large), S & W 442 and 642, 3" Python , Charter Bulldog in 44 Spl. , Ruger Vaquero Sheriff's in 45 Colt, and a Colt SAA (sheriffs) in 44 Spl.

I agree with whoever said problem with the trigger reset is a training issue, not a gun issue. Your finger is very easy to train and with practice can adjust to anything. It's kind of like people who complain about how long the trigger pull on a striker fired semiautomatic. It's not a target gun, pull the trigger and pull until it fires. Don't creep along. That's not what you would do if someone was getting ready to shoot you, you shouldn't practice like you are trying for the best group ever.
Practice overcomes a lot of trigger issues.
Most people don't fire 100 rounds through a gun, and can't figure out why they can't get used to the trigger. I can tell you why. Practice more, or don't complain.

Latest posts