Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
I can see the merit in your concept, but speaking for myself, if I was going to limit myself to a small revolver for defensive use, I'd prefer a Model 36 S&W with the round butt and a 3" barrel. Reasons are, it's lighter and a bit handier. Plus, I've learned that heavy-ish for caliber bullets work better for serious stuff than lightweight bullets, which points me more towards the .38 Spl.....Yeah, I realize that when comparing loads between the two that 110 grns is about like 115, and that 124 is about like 125....but a 158-160 LSWC like I'd be using in that sort of a situation just ain't going to get enough of a running start when used in conjunction with that puny 9MM case.....Now don't get me wrong. I like the 9MM cartridge, particularly the 124 FMJ NATO (+P) version. Thing is though, I got's a FN High Power for that. It holds 14 Rds and I can hide it on my person just as easily as an SP-101, so then there's that.

DGW

My buddy picked this up in an evidence auction from the department that he works for. I gave him the BK grip adapter and he carries it daily now. His other carry revolver is a S&W 438 Bodyguard. I like the Model 49 and 638 Bodyguard models for myself. You can carry it in a pocket easily but you have to make sure that it is cleaned regularly because they have a habit of picking up pocket lint if you don't keep them clean.
703977252.jpg

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I like Simple, and Simple is Better for me

The perfect "carry" revolver already exists for me, it's my 80's production S&W Model 60. It's small, light and 5 rounds of .38 +P is plenty. It's not the perfect "shooting" revolver but for carry, it's perfect. I can carry it in sweatpants and an IWB holster.

The S&W Terrier is a close 2nd, in .38 S&W. It's just an even more packable snubby but you would need to use the Buffalo Bore 38-200 to get any real stopping power.

Johnnu2

Hunter
KISS.......... keep it simple stupid.... IMHO of course :rolleyes:
See target below the gun.... To avoid confusion, the req'd NYS CCW training is NOT requ'd throughout the state; only in the 5 boroughs of NYC and specific areas around NYC as requ'd by those jurisdictions. Also, I converted the gun shown back to its original, factory configuration for the training i.e. 'spurred hammer and boot grips'. The 5 head shots were OPTIONAL and allowed "if you feel like trying a head shot or two"....(y)

P.S. I DON'T CARRY.... EVER!!!
j.

Last edited:

Latest posts