38 SPL carry opinions or recommendations.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Understand this is a Ruger forum but, looking for opinions

Looking for a small, lightweight pocket carry 38 SPL. Considering a Ruger LCR versus a S&W model 442 performance center. Understand, the S&W is more $$$.

My local shop does not stock either guns. Need to purchase without seeing.

Appreciate anyone's opinion.

Thanks.

What Arfmel said above pretty much sums it up. I have several of those guns and my favorite is the picture on the bottom at 11.9 ounces.
20230630_014801.jpg
20230818_114027.jpg

agree with everything stated above , I've had both, had the Ruger LCR in just 38 spe. and one in 357 mag, sold both of them , I've also had the LCR in 22mag and 327 mag , kept both of them but the one that gets carry the most by a long ways is the 442 , it feels better and carries better and I shoot it better .. I will add that if you really want the LCR look hard at the 327 mag as you get a 6 shot instead of just 5 shots >>>

edit to add, if you go with the 327 mag, the gun will also shot 32 H&R mag and 32 long and if you really had too the 32 acp but it probably will NOT extract all of the 32 acp empty cases as the rim on the 32 acp is very small

Last edited:
agree with everything stated above , I've had both, had the Ruger LCR in just 38 spe. and one in 357 mag, sold both of them , I've also had the LCR in 22mag and 327 mag , kept both of them but the one that gets carry the most by a long ways is the 442 , it feels better and carries better and I shoot it better .. I will add that if you really want the LCR look hard at the 327 mag as you get a 6 shot instead of just 5 shots >>>

edit to add, if you go with the 327 mag, the gun will also shot 32 H&R mag and 32 long and if you really had too the 32 acp but it probably will NOT extract all of the 32 acp empty cases as the rim on the 32 acp is very small
If you go with the 327, yes you have more options for ammo. And right now you probably won't be able to find any of it.
Stick with 38.

s4s4u

Hunter
LCRx, 38+P, 1 pound loaded. What's not to like? Well, it is pretty shnappy with 158's. My daughter loves to shoot, but she doesn't love that revolver at all.

I have bushel baskets of pocket pistols in 32, 380, 9mm and 38 Special both semiauto and revolvers and the 642 38 Special gets carried the most. Almost exclusively. I can't be alone because S&W just announced new models at the SHOT Show in both 38 Special and 32 H&R. These will have better triggers and sights and will be available through Lipsey's. I might have to order one or two but my old 642 really doesn't need replacing.

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_111429992_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231230_111429992_HDR.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 40

hittman

Staff member
My LCR is an early one and came with the red tube fiber optic site.

The biggest problem I have with Smith's, Colt's, Rugers and most other manufacturers is that they are all strictly for right handed people. Wile I have snubbies from those three, plus others, the one I carry most is a dedicated left handed revolver, the Charter Arms Southpaw. Why none of the other manufacturers will provide left handed revolvers is beyond me. There is a market there, and lefties would buy left handed firearms if they were available.

hittman

Staff member
Well …. I'm in my 60s and left handed. While I agree that some may sell, I personally have no need for one. I've been using revolvers now about 50 years ( no kidding ) and don't feel the need to learn how to use one that's reversed,

I think fewer than 10% of us are lefty's so it's an awfully small market,

I'd love to have a left handed Fender Jazzmaster but, the only one they make now sells in the $1,800.00 range!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have shot a bunch of snubbies over the last 40 years, and I like my LCR better than anything but the SP101. The LCR has an excellent trigger out of the box, carries nice due to no sharp edges, points well for me, and accuracy is quite good with loads it likes. I also get higher velocities with it than a S&W with a slightly longer barrel (likely due to tighter cylinder gap and chamber dimensions). Not a lot...about 30 FPS, but every little bit helps if you're shooting an expanding bullet.

I carried a 642 for years. Then Ruger came out with the LCR. No comparison. Hugely better trigger. Personally I don't pocket carry so I don't worry about a minuscule amount of extra size in someone's pocket. Lipsey's has figured out that the 642 and 442 needed help, so they have contracted with S&W to make a number of upgrades for both models (642 and 442)). Better sights, better trigger, better grip. I suspect it will come with a serious price increase.
They'll be available in 38 Special and 32 H&R.
The LCR has various calibers, with hammer and without, 1-7/8" barrel and 3" barrel. I have various choices to choose from if I want to carry a revolver, or I can grab an SP101 and be very comfortable.

Last edited:
I had a LCR in .357 and carried SGD, 135gr, short barrel, .357 or a good .38+P. The SGD produces about 80 more FPE than the same loading in .38+P. I found the trigger pull of the LCR excellent. But the price you pay is the trigger reset. You have to train to fully release the trigger for a complete return or it will short stroke. Additionally the trigger return spring is rather weak. It will not push your finger forward with much pressure-you have to train to be sure to do it. I found the LCR a bit large for pocket carry for me-YMMV. I now pocket carry a Glock 42 with Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo. I admit I have developed S&W Lust for the new 642/442 Lipsey's. A few YT videos out. To me this model has all the details I want in a snubbie that I could pocket or belt carry and enjoy shooting at the range. I have no interest in carrying a handgun that I don't/won't shoot frequently at the range. I'm not going to train with a G19 and carry a G42.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
38 Special LCR, factory boot grip, home defense rounds. My main EDC for several years.
I was fortunate enough to handle bot, the 442 and the lcr, at the same time. There was absolutely no comparison. The Ruger molded my hand much better, the quality of finish went to the Ruger and the trigger pull....oh the trigger pull on the Ruger was superior too. It was like comparing a gun that cost $200 less. Some would say they are only 100 dollars apart, yet smith and wesson always charges $100 more than Ruger.

I have always hated the look of the LCR and I was going to buy the 442 until I held and tested the lcr. Not only did I buy the LCR, I spent the extra $100 and bought the 357 magnum. Did I mention the sight picture on the Ruger? It's like a superior striker fired sight, as opposed to the crappy regular snub nosed fixed sights. Remember, it's a tool and in my opinion the lcr is a craftsman tool and the 442 is the Chinese equivalent at harbor freight!

Latest posts