Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The ENTIRE point of this thread was to brainstorm something new and innovative. The best combination of features for an effective concealed carry. There are a lot of great options available to us now.

The ENTIRE point of this thread was to brainstorm something new and innovative. The best combination of features for an effective concealed carry. There are a lot of great options available to us now.
Reread your original post. You stated your opinion on the perfect carry revolver. Others responded with their opinions. All are valid as each person has their own likes, dislikes and needs.

JB in SC

Bearcat
A current production carry revolver. My choices.

Colt King Cobra Carry 2" or a 3" version. Excellent double action (8 pounds on ours), six shots, hi viz sights available. They're ready to go without any work.

On the less expensive end the SP101. Easy to tune up, rock solid reliable, shoot +P from now on without worrying.

S&W J frame, small and easily concealed, but difficult to master for many shooters (especially Airweights). Don't like the lock. +P will beat them up.

Load them up with a 150 grain bevel base full wadcutter at 900 fps. No worry about inadequate penetration, not dependent upon expansion.

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
My pet peeve with carry revolvers? The cylinder is often too long for the cartridge. .38 special guns should have appropriate length cylinders but instead they use the same one for the .357.

Ideally the window and frame would be smaller too. But if that is not feasible then make the barrel longer to compensate for the shorter cylinder. You could have a very compact gun that actually has a relatively long barrel.

I know it probably wouldn't make much difference, but it irks me.

About as perfect (For Me) as you can get.

Speed Six outside 1.JPG

Snake45

Hawkeye
Colt King Cobra Carry 2" or a 3" version. Excellent double action (8 pounds on ours), six shots, hi viz sights available. They're ready to go without any work.
Put me down for the 3" version, please. ;)

The late, great Chic Gaylord was on the right track all the way back in 1960 with his "Metropolitan Special": A Colt Police Positive (same frame as the Detective special but with a 4" barrel) with the barrel cut to 3", and a few mods such as high-viz sights and action job. The modern equivalent is the King Cobra Carry 3". Here you have the smallest diameter cylinder possible for six shots (@ 1.4"), grip small enough that anybody can use it (with aftermarkets available for those with larger hands), and overall weight right in the "sweet spot" between "heavy enough to be a good shooter but a PITA to carry every day" and "light enough for comfortable everyday carry but so light it's unpleasant to shoot." (This "sweet spot" range is, IMHO, between 24 and 30 ounces. Interestingly, Colt's LW Commander and clones thereof also fall right in this range at 26-27 ounces. I suppose there are a number of modern 9mms that fall in there, too.) ;)