Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I also am retired and spend most or my time on the farm and woods. My holster usually has my SP101 match Champion 4.2 inch 357 in it.
I have chickens and they attract coyotes and rarely, bears.
First two rounds are snake shot, then a 125 gr JHP, then two 158 gr hard cast semi wadcutters.
It is smaller and lighter than a GP100 but retains the 4 inch barrel. When I go to town, there is a shotgun in my truck and a Tokarev TT33 in the console.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
Are you guys dreaming about taking out a whole gang of hardened criminals or stopping a couple of robbers/muggers? My handgun is meant to keep me alive until I can get to the house or truck where I can access more firepower if needed.
Also....carry revolver was the topic of discussion.
I have never needed to empty all five rounds from my 357 SP, whether in the woods or the city.

CaliMtn8

Bearcat
So when I think "carry revolver" I think of the reasons I would carry a revolver over an auto. Horseback?: single action cause I'm less likely to shoot myself if it bucks after shot number 1. In the woods?: double action revolver because I can load 2 snake shot, and have it function, and 4 hardball or hollows depending on the protection I'm most likely to need ie 2 legged, mtn lions, pigs or bears and less likely in my experienceto have issues in cold weather. In town where the potential threat is 2 legged or less than 200 pound 4 legged?: 9mm or above auto. Better combat use trigger. Easier reloads, and for me more compact and easily concealed platform and reloads. Just my thought process

Draugr

Bearcat
Thoughts on the "new" Python 3".
1. Heavier than the originals.
2. Double action trigger pull is heavier than original.
3. Single action trigger pull is also heavier. Heavier than my S & W Target Masterpiece was, or my 1955 Target was. Between my Model 19 Combat Magnum and the Model 1955.
4. Still, definitely a high quality revolver!
S&W 360 PD

BearBiologist

Buckeye
5 shot 38 allows for a compact cylinder
And one less shot. Really liked my 6 shot, plus P rated Detective Special for carry but it was a collectible (marked "Lockheed Air Corp"= the "Skunk Works")= it had the smoothest trigger of any snubbie. My 5 short 44 Bulldog (Charter Arms) was nice. If I am giving up 20% of my firepower, I want something that will be pretty effective!

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
This is why I like my Colt Police Positive that was made in the 1930s....it's a small frame little 6 shot 4". It's just too old to use as a carry piece and there's no need to do so

Those old Police Positives just feel like the perfect all round .38 , the 4" barrel doesn't even feel like a 4". If you never handled one it's hard to explain

JBL14

Bearcat
My "perfect" carry revolver would be a 3" GP100. I've had one for a long time and used to carry it a lot, but in the last few years I've felt that a G26 or G19 is better suited to urban carry. I still carry the GP occasionally.

When I head for the mountains near my home I usually carry a 4" GP100.

This is why I like my Colt Police Positive that was made in the 1930s....it's a small frame little 6 shot 4". It's just too old to use as a carry piece and there's no need to do so

Those old Police Positives just feel like the perfect all round .38 , the 4" barrel doesn't even feel like a 4". If you never handled one it's hard to explain
Police Positive or Police Positive Special? Both are great revolvers with the PP being chambered in .38 Colt New Police aka .38 S&W while the PPS is in .38 Special.

I agree with you although the one we have here PP or PPS is from the 1980s:

O0ryUOV.jpg

The balance is wonderful.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Shown in my hand for scale, for people who have never handled a Police Positive

I may be wrong but the Mark III action PP's were a little bigger? I don't know

The old Colt Detective Special (I used to have one) was basically a Police Positive snubby. It was, for years, the only 6 shot .38 snub.

The Police Positive is in my opinion the perfect little 4" small frame .38. I'd stay away from +P though....... and S&W used that against Colt when Smith brought the 38/44 Heavy Duty .38 revolvers out, saying it could handle the Hi Vel .38 that the Colt Police Positive couldn't ......prompting the release of the Official Police

This PP is marked for a local County Sheriff and is more of a collectible but it locks up tight. I had been saying for years that I'd find a Plain Jane old PP .38 Special and use it as a carry piece. Then Kimber basically took the PP concept of a compact frame 6-shot 4" revolver and modernized it for .357, thus negating any ideas of an old PP for carry.

I'd think that the old standard pressure 158 gr LRN would still do the job. Granted, a few +Ps wouldn't hurt it but there's no need to stress the old guy , he's been retired from duty for probably 50-60 years. Also, don't stage the trigger in the old Colts, the hammer sometimes lands in between cartridges. A smooth, even pull in DA like you mean business gets the job done and offers a nice, even DA pull.

20230725_124542.jpg

JB in SC

Bearcat
Thoughts on the "new" Python 3".
1. Heavier than the originals.
2. Double action trigger pull is heavier than original.
3. Single action trigger pull is also heavier. Heavier than my S & W Target Masterpiece was, or my 1955 Target was. Between my Model 19 Combat Magnum and the Model 1955.
4. Still, definitely a high quality revolver!

I have one, pretty decent but needs better rear sight (Wilson). Thank the states with drop tests for the heavy trigger.

An original blue Combat Python (Lew Horton) 3" I saw up for sale closed at $8750.00. It was as new.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Just came across this thread. Have not read every page, so as far as carry, I am assuming concealed, in which case, my choice would be a Ruger LCR in .327 Magnum. I know, difficult to find both gun and ammo. Just my opinion...

Latest posts