Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Just dropped a spurless hammer into my .38 SP101, but it was a hammer I had my gunsmith despur for another SP so it can still be cocked for the "emergency SA shots" internet defensive commandos train us to be ready for 😃

I agree with the wisdom that Single Action capability for a snub should be retained, if only for that "better to have and not need" then to be in some weird scenario where you need to shoot at 25+ yards and can't thumb cock. I can easily shoot DA and never again shoot this in SA but at least it's there unlike some of my DAO GP100s.

When swapping hammers , don't forget to swap the hammers dogs. I was wondering why the DA pull was so stagy.....the dog was fitted to the other gun. Swapped the dogs, all good.

I polished the bearing surfaces of the hammer and trigger with Mother's. Those MIM parts are ugly , I had forgotten how ugly MIM is 🤢 but it's a tool not a showpiece so oh well. The action is much better now. With the stock springs the DA pull was horrendous.

Added Wolff springs of unknown weight I had laying around. After a test fire it may be an almost perfect carry revolver.

20230702_015855.jpg

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The Chiappa Rhino doesn't get enough credit as a good CC gun, it is actually nearly perfect as a pure carry gun in the snubby lengths. It may be ugly, but it's an awesome defensive gun . I think it fits into the "so ugly it's cool" category

It comes with a nice pancake holster but it carries nice IWB too. It is very light for it's size. I have carried it jogging a time or two.

Chiappa did the "flat cylinder " thing before Kimber did. The Rhino snubbies have good, usable fixed sights and the alloy frame keeps the weight down

They have a "fake" hammer that just cocks the striker for SA shots . They have an internal hammer and have a short trigger stroke. Almost like a DAO pistol like a S&W 5946

They're odd ducks, this one is odder being a .40 but I like it. It's flat and carries like a subcompact pistol. There is no ".40 +P " but I've fired .40 loaded to hot 10mm levels in this and it's definitely gonna wake you up. Standard .40 is snappy but the low barrel setup reduces muzzle rise and recoils back instead of up. Follow up shots are faster than a "regular " revolver

I was able to keep almost them all ( except two) inside the Q silhouette , which is 75% the size of a human torso, at 15 yards in rapid fire, one handed.

20230702_170004.jpg

20230702_170041.jpg

20230702_175304.jpg

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Well, like many of you, we had a 4th of July BBQ. My neighbor was over and he informed me he had bought a centerfire revolver. He had sold his many years ago and given his target 22 to his grandkids. Well, he had been at a local store and fell in love with the new Colt Python. I had had a matched pair of 4" (blued) years ago and foolishly sold them. Well, on the way back from the gym this AM, i told the wife I was going to start saving my allowance (which we put on hold for vacation and never reinstated). She suggested I just take it out of my savings account. SOOOOOO.......

I am the proud owner of a 3" Colt Python! EPS Tom Threepersons holster ordered (fish scale pattern).

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I still like the idea of a short cylinder and a longer barrel firing a short semiauto round.
Seriously thinking about Charter Arms Pitbull. 6 shot 380 that does not require moon clips. Looks like it may take some practice to reload, but my room sweeping days are over. There is usually a shotgun nearby.
I like 380 Buffalo Bore ammo.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
A close second to my Speed Six 2 3/4" is the 3" GP100 but ironically the SP101 2.25" gets carried more. My "perfect" carry/hiking gun has to be heavy enough to enjoy range trips and light enough to carry. On a hot summer day attire the SP may be more perfect for CC and GP & Speed Six in cooler weather.
IMG_2804 (2).JPG

The Norseman

Blackhawk
My perfect carry revolver is the Smith & Wesson
Model 637 38spl. 5-shot with hammer exposed.
Everything else is a paperweight, too heavy, and
too cumbersome.

Not so sure a carry revolver is the way to go
anymore. I'm considering the New to the USA
market, Glock 28 USA .380, number UI2850201
(UPC 764503055348) very compact.

Second place would be the Glock 26 9mm.
It's small, and fits my hand well.

10 cartridges plus one in the chamber is more
appealing than 5 shots and trying to reload
a cylinder. Fire power is king.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Are you guys dreaming about taking out a whole gang of hardened criminals or stopping a couple of robbers/muggers? My handgun is meant to keep me alive until I can get to the house or truck where I can access more firepower if needed.
Also....carry revolver was the topic of discussion.
I have never needed to empty all five rounds from my 357 SP, whether in the woods or the city.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Personally, I want to have a reasonable chance of protecting myself from the most likely threats which is the second scenario you mention. Traveling through the inner city waterfront at 4am where the stop signs are used by locals for targets I carry a SP101 2.25" 357 OWB 3 o'clock & Shield 9 AIWB where I can reach it while driving. I know not to put myself in harms way, but that's where my boat is docked & I start fishing early.

eveled

Hawkeye
The Chiappa Rhino doesn't get enough credit as a good CC gun, it is actually nearly perfect as a pure carry gun in the snubby lengths. It may be ugly, but it's an awesome defensive gun . I think it fits into the "so ugly it's cool" category
If nothing else its innovative. Have to give them credit for reinventing the wheel… gun.

Thanks for the review.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Thoughts on the "new" Python 3".
1. Heavier than the originals.
2. Double action trigger pull is heavier than original.
3. Single action trigger pull is also heavier. Heavier than my S & W Target Masterpiece was, or my 1955 Target was. Between my Model 19 Combat Magnum and the Model 1955.
4. Still, definitely a high quality revolver!

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If nothing else its innovative. Have to give them credit for reinventing the wheel… gun.

Thanks for the review.
Chiappa made an effective revolver in .357, 9mm and .40, that was lightweight and reliable, and almost no one cared . I have never seen another person shooting a Rhino or even know anyone who owns one. I may be wrong but either all of the .357's are cut for moon clips or they had previously made one that was. Also an oddball 9x21 model for the Italian market

To my knowledge they're still being produced and the 6" Chrome models have been in a couple movies, so they enjoyed a brief popularity

They are expensive , last I checked they were $1000+ so that probably knocks it out of the block for the "impulse" buyers

I recall when Chiappa announced a Colt Python clone that was met with 0 interest so it never happened , and then Colt themselves brought it back thus killing the market for an expensive Python knockoff

I kinda want a 9mm Rhino but not really that bad, my 9mm SP is more suitable as a range gun and occasional carry piece . I have the .40 Rhino , that's weird enough for me

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
My perfect carry revolver is the Smith & Wesson
Model 637 38spl. 5-shot with hammer exposed.
Everything else is a paperweight, too heavy, and
too cumbersome.
My realistic brain reluctantly acknowledges this fact.........

I carried my 9mm SP101 as my "to and from work" gun today with 5 rounds of Hornady 9mm +P in it and no reload, since carrying 5 moonclipped 9's wasn't feasible. Nor is it always feasible to carry a speedloader or even a speed strip, sometimes I just grab and go with the gun. I really, at the end of the day enjoy shooting revolvers far more than an autochucker and my "carry revolvers" are basically range guns disguised as carry guns that I use "training" as an excuse to get out and shoot them more. Shooting an auto is sometimes "meh" and after a few mags I'm done. I have put 3-400 rounds through an SP101 and I could have kept shooting all day.

However, yes, the utilitarian side of my thought process knows that a Glock 26 with 10+1 of hot 9mm +P HP's doubles my capacity, in a slimmer, lighter package. The Glock 26 came out in 1995 and was one of the original "micro 9's" , the SP101 came on the market in 1989 so both of these guns have been around for quite a while.

I don't think I'm John Wick nor do I dream about engaging squads of bad guys ..............actually the opposite, my gun is an emergency tool that is to be used as an absolute last resort to allow me to get to safety if I survive. I don't usually carry reloads for my carry guns. I also feel that if 5 shots isn't enough, then what the heck am I actually involved in as some guy trying to go about my day....but...... Sometimes convenience has to win, and a smaller, lighter, easier to hide gun that holds 10 rounds of effective ammo with no need to carry a spare mag sometimes makes sense. Sometimes the revolver is just fine for being out and about town. It's all about what works for you. A Glock 26 with an NY-1 trigger can allow your skills and training with a DA revolver to translate better to an auto.

Chiappa made an effective revolver in .357, 9mm and .40, that was lightweight and reliable, and almost no one cared . I have never seen another person shooting a Rhino or even know anyone who owns one. I may be wrong but either all of the .357's are cut for moon clips or they had previously made one that was. Also an oddball 9x21 model for the Italian market

T
Any nothing can do normal.

There is one gun that I look forward to every range session with. A gun that I truly have FUN SHOOTING! And that is the Ruger LCR9mm. I just love this gun. Bought it in 2010 when it first came out in production.
For about 13 years now I have on so many occasions loaded up 40 moon clips the night before a range session. Always end up wishing I have brought more ammo.
That is a lot of ammo over the years and a testimony to the quality of this Ruger Revolver.

Yesterday had the LCR and the Smith 642 out to shoot side by side. For me there is no question, the LCR9mm is a much better shooter even with the Custom Trigger of the Smith. Shooting the Ruger with the 124 gr. 9mm provided a sweet recoil that was pleasant to shoot. The Lighter 642 is a great revolver but never shoots as well. Of course it is lighter, and so does get carried more often.

BZqx5zd.jpg

protoolman

Service-Sixer
A great thread with some nice guns. I thought I'd throw in some fancy Ruger snubs in Service Six flavor, Sp 101s etc. But then I got bogged down reading about some new people drifting a perfectly good discussion into Glocks. Geeze new guys! Go post that thread drift garbage on some armchair commando forum. This forum is the best bar none because if we disagree or have an opinion around here we are respectful enough to start our own thread. Don't make me come to your Glock threads with Super Blackhawk pictures.

Latest posts