woods carry, who carries what?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I carried a lot of things over the years I lived in Alaska. Mostly it was a SBH ss 44 Mag, but also a Ruger Redhawk in both 44 mag and 45 colt. In the last few years I carried the occasional Alaskan 454. What I discovered, (and this evolved as well) is that a good holster makes a world of difference. Like everyone I started with a hip holster, belt carry, and sometimes a shoulder holster. That moved to a bandoleer type carry and I'd have different holsters made for the different guns I wanted to carry. The last few years I went with http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php. Actually it's not uncommon for different guns to fit the same holster so it's not as expensive as it sounds. Been around a lot of bears, mostly I would recommend getting educated on being in bear country. Something that will help is James Gary Shelton has 3 books that gave in some real insight to bears and as I was around them could see the stuff in action. Years ago I was fishing in Illiamna and was walking up a trail with my fish, with a bear following me up the hill, one side hilling me and one at the top of the hill. That will get some adrenalin flowing believe me. However, it was more apparent they were curious and hoping for fish. Things worked out just fine. Just as important as the gun you carry is the ammo you carry. I loaded my own a lot in those days and used a 328 grain hard cast from Ace Duby. Later on I mostly carried Buffalo Bore Ammo from Tim Sundles. Always heavy hard cast with a lot of penetration and bone breaking ability. There is a lot more to your question than what gun. :D

flatgate

Hawkeye
It depends. .22 LR, .32 H&R, .44 Mag., .45 Colt. or .454 Casull.
Varying Barrel Lengths; 4-5/8" to 10"/ 10-1/2"

:D

PS Sorry Coogs, I quit carrying a Maxi quite some time ago......

flatgate

427mach1

Blackhawk
Redhawk 41 mag, 265 grain Cast Performance at 1400 fps. Also, a big can of bear spray.

DSC09531_zps17af3f04.jpg

DSC09204.jpg

Ethang

Blackhawk
That depends on the season. I don't get out in the woods much anymore, but if it's deer season I tote something capable of taking one, 45 Blackhawk or Vaquero or my 586. If it's not deer season then lately my 32 mag SS. It has replaced my 22 pistols entirely .

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Our property butts up to harvested lumber company land and we hike a lot back there. It's prime habitat for large critters. We don't go out there without a sidearm, either a SBH in .44 or BH in .45 Colt, or a lever gun. The picture below was taken 2 weeks ago in the morning. It's our 3rd wolf encounter, this is the first time any of them have come to the door though!

427mach1

Blackhawk
Greg Mercurio said:
Our property butts up to harvested lumber company land and we hike a lot back there. It's prime habitat for large critters. We don't go out there without a sidearm, either a SBH in .44 or BH in .45 Colt, or a lever gun. The picture below was taken 2 weeks ago in the morning. It's our 3rd wolf encounter, this is the first time any of them have come to the door though!

Greg, are you sure that wolf wasn't wearing a collar? It looks an awful lot like a husky breed of some sort to me!! :lol:

My favorite area to hike is probably near you and the OP - I have a nephew that has a cabin about 5 miles south of Eureka. There are trails all over the place in the mountains in that area and the scenery is absolutely stunning. Last time we hiked, we saw a LOT of bear signs.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Blackhawk: first thing I checked for. He was looking for food. He gave the deck a thorough investigation. Our vet ID'd him as a young male about 8 months old. May have been kicked out of the pack as a challenger to the alpha or it may have other issues. When it left, it went back up the hill away from "civilization". We've had other wolves on the property, chasing down and occasionally taking down deer. We've found their remains. We've also had a cougar not 20 yards off that same deck, stalking a doe in the twilight. We watched it for a good 3 minutes. Found the bones after the snow melted. Prints in the snow the next morning were the size of a teacup saucer.

Greg Mercurio said:

Greg sounds like your plan is probably a good one. We would have bears (both kinds), moose and wolves in the neighborhood in Alaska. Too new to Idaho to know what I'll run into. Too many people with a teenager mentality that nothing can hurt them and they don't make a plan. I work off the premise that if you need something you need it real bad. Doesn't hurt to be prepared. This week 5 people have had run ins with bears. Most had bear spray but it didn't keep them from being chewed on some. Course the one with out the bear spray was killed so who knows.

popplecop

Bearcat
Most of the time it's my Single Six 32 H&R with a 4 5/8 barrel. If deer hunting then my BH in 41 mag. Sometimes when grouse hunting my old Bearcat for squirrels.

trouble

Single-Sixer
Greg Mercurio said:

I know I'll be in the minority here but that is COOL.

eveled

Hawkeye
That wolf looks like he wants his head scratched and belly rubbed.

mobius

Bearcat
45 colt blackhawk 4 5/8, all day every day, until now.
HPIM4470.jpg

300gn fn ww cast bullet @ 1100 (est)

Starting tomorrow, the aforementioned Redhawk with the same load. :D
Should be a good day to poke big holes in sumpin'

Fred

All we have is middlin sized black bears up here.

Rclark

Hunter
Probably not to hard to guess what I carry ;) .... SA of course.... .45 Colt or .44Spec. Mostly .45 Colt. 255g SWC at 1100fps. Bear, Moose, skunk, whatever ....