Ruger Announces New Model Blackhawk and GP100 In .327 Fed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I'm kinda on the fence about it, hoping for a midframe personally. I'll wait to handle one, and see. Would make for an interesting turkey and varmint pistol.

gak

Buckeye
Yes, I guess no interest in this cartridge and its platforms judging by only 5 pages worth inside of a work day :)

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
I like the .327 and currently have 4 guns in that caliber. Like many others I'm somewhat disappointed that it wasn't a SS or at least a NMFT. My 4.0" Bowen built SS .327 weighs 34 oz. but holds "only" 6 shots. I also agree with the comments about ATK making more ammo. I've had 3 cases on order with RSR, one of the largest distributors in the county, for months. Will I buy one of the new 8 shooters?....I already placed the order. Maybe next year they'll do the 5 shot .480.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
An 8 shot six shooter eh? Its the new thing, Hi-Cap revolvers in mid-bore cartridges. Very interesting indeed.

Greebe

ebg3

Bearcat
I've just started playing with my new flattop .357 mag...now I have to buy a .327 and start over!

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
I gues all I can do is piss & moan. As a Ruger fan, shooter, collector I am not interested in a 46.8 ounce 327 magnum. Im sorry if I dont get all fired up about the introduction, but maybe the next release will float my boat. I would like to see more stock flat tops without all the warning labels and gold banners!

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
ceadermtnboy":3hsczg5p said:
I would like to see more stock flat tops

i would love to see a new production one w/ the OM lockwork, midsize frame, alloy gripframe ... i won't hold my breath

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
The higher capacity GP100 as a varmint and self defense hiking gun does make sense and I really like the idea if the ammo situation fixes itself.

I will bet anybody - limit one person - that the Blackhawk will be discontinued in less then 2 years. Anybody want to wager $50 and we can make the end of the bet Jan 1 2012?

Ruger has dropped better guns and this will certainly be an oddball of Blackhawk history. Just don't know if they will drop it this year or next. Now, if it was the midframe and a 7 shooter I would not be as confident.

Flash

Buckeye
And to think I waited all day for this. I had high hopes for a 22mag GP or SP. A 25-20 Blackhawk but two more guns in a glorified version of a caliber that didn't sell to begin with? Maybe the next release will be a black powder revolver on the old three screw frame in 32?

gak

Buckeye
Flash":17u3l9x4 said:
And to think I waited all day for this. I had high hopes for a 22mag GP or SP. A 25-20 Blackhawk but two more guns in a glorified version of a caliber that didn't sell to begin with? Maybe the next release will be a black powder revolver on the old three screw frame in 32?

-----
I hear you on the 22 Mag SP, but you think a .25-20 would sell better? In the grand scheme of things, the 327 is young yet. When the paper and online gun rags quit over-catering to the bigger-is-always-better crowd, the .327 will have it's day and I'll bet it's a long one. Like a lot of others, I'm disappointed this SA isn't a mid-frame or smaller (yet?), but anything to give this great round even greater exposure is a good thing.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Quarterbore":bd4dh0pc said:
Ruger has dropped better guns and this will certainly be an oddball of Blackhawk history. Just don't know if they will drop it this year or next. Now, if it was the midframe and a 7 shooter I would not be as confident.

Maybe Ruger will drop this one from the Blackhawk line eventually but I'm going to buy one before anything like that happens.

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
Gotta side with Quarterbore on this one. Maybe I'm just not a small caliber guy, but I don't see the .327 cartridge catching on. Think 5mm Remington.

My guess is collector's item in 20 years. Second guess is they'll be on closeout at CDNN in a few years.

Gotta admit an 8-shot Blackhawk is a cool though.

Jim

SBH4628

Blackhawk
contender":z418b2tt said:
Quarterbore; I'll take that bet.
$50.00, that the 327 Blackhawk lasts past 1/1/12.
Deal?
Will go half with you on that bet contender :D I see a convertible 4 5/8" 30 carbine in the future 8)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Well I have two of the original mid 80's 32 mags in the Single SIx my friends told me not to buy. Guess I will buy the Blackhawk in .327 for sure. At least if they do dry up all the Naysayers will be begging me to sell them my rare collectible .327 in 20 years. Either way I think I for one will enjoy shooting one at coyotes and Jack rabbits or maybe a Woodchuck or Badger. Heck, it looks like a great flat shooter for us varmint shooters. And 7 rounds to boot! What's not to like? If you think its too puny of a round they do make Blackhawks in other calibers too you know! Me I like em all!

dbarale

Obsolete
101VooDoo":2019efjp said:
Gotta side with Quarterbore on this one. Maybe I'm just not a small caliber guy, but I don't see the .327 cartridge catching on. Think 5mm Remington.

My guess is collector's item in 20 years. Second guess is they'll be on closeout at CDNN in a few years.

Gotta admit an 8-shot Blackhawk is a cool though.

Jim

I don't know. I can see the 327 Blackhawk as a useful varmint/dispatch gun on a large farm or a ranch. Good for coyotes, badgers, rabid racoons and other pesky little critters.

The GP on the other hand? Not a carry gun, with the price of ammo it's not a plinker for sure, not the best house gun, too short of a barrel for hunting. Sure it's got a 7 shot cylinder but S&W manages to fit 7 shot of .357 on the same size gun so... Some will say that it's a great gun for the recoil sensitive but, really, 38 wadcutters in a GP are about as mild as it gets recoil-wise.
Maybe I just need to play with one to see the appeal.

Latest posts