Repairing a box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If I have a box with a blown out corner and some rough exterior, what is the best way to improve its condition? I've never restored a box, and I'd like to have opinions from those who have. Do you try to blend it in to make it look like it hasn't been repaired, or do you do the best job possible and don't misrepresent the repair? I'd like to be able to use the box so repairing it to stabilizing the corners is my biggest concern.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have done a bit of amateur box repairing.
I've never gotten rid of any of my boxes, but if I were to try, I'd tell the prospective new owner about the repairs.

There are all kinds of ways to try & fix a blown corner. On the older boxes I worked on, there's an outer layer of paper and a plain cardboard inner. I would always try & replicate original stuff,, by adding a small, corner re-enforcing piece of good quality fiber type of tape. It would go in-between the outer paper cover. And after it was in place & secure & dry,, I'd try to get the original paper outer back in place & glued down. It's a slow process.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Tiny drops of Elmer's glue applied with toothpicks and held with corner clamps. Carefully done, you can do it without reinforcing the corners with new material, but if the paper is separated to where you can get some reinforcement over the cardboard and under the paper, and then glue the paper back down to hide it, that works best. Do multiple steps over several days, allowing the glue to dry between steps. If strength is your primary goal, you can glue in some reinforcing material on the inside. I've pasted in heavy paper corners cut from something like an index card.

contender

Ruger Guru
The re-enforcing material I've used is the "wet to stick" type of packing tape that has fiber material in it. A lightly damp sponge wiped across it, and place it in the corner. I make pieces of cardboard to fit to use as braces for the shape as my corner clamps do their part. Once dry,, I remove the pieces of cardboard that were used to help hold the shape,, and allow it to dry another day. Then I work on the paper pieces that go over the plain box portion.

I also have used a small bird feather as an applicator for glue.

I guess my biggest problem is going to be trying to separate the paper cover without tearing things up. Since my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, this is going to be a slow process. Thanks for all of the suggestions.