Well, looks like I'm in club Fed.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
I probably should have added the AE 327M is SNAPPY in my 3 Single Sevens & SP-101.(6)
Blackhawks & GP-100,,, I'm sure the extra weight will help, but the report & fps will still be noticed.
51972050673_05756bed3d_k.jpg

52057184660_3cac80a902_k.jpg

I understand one can shoot 327M in a NM 30 carbine Blackhawk/7.5" barrel, but I have not tried it.
I do shoot 32-20 brass loaded up to 327M+ velocities,,, and with the Size of the gun, Super Grip, it's ZIPPY, but very tame and comfortable.
51954616289_6fe70371b8_k.jpg

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
"Not in demand?" Every time Federal does a run, especially the 100 grain load they sell out in hours!

Yes they do "sell out in hours" and it is a very unique load, The Velocity and the 100gr Soft Point Bullet. I mostly handload but this is one of the factory offerings I really like,,, It's as hot as I want to shoot in my girls.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Great, now you have me doubting my memory, and sanity, and I probably won't sleep for 3 weeks! LOL! There were several Rugers that caught my attention, including a 3 screw 30 carbine. Maybe/probably I'm mis-remembering.

Kinda doubt I came across a one off gun, especially at that price.
RA........ not to worry.... just remember to go to the gun show in '3 weeks' and bring LOTS OF CASH....
p.s. I would grab that 3-screw 30Carbine...... it's a hoot to shoot (and an OM to boot)... sorry for the poetry, it just popped out.

J.

I know there are a lot of people that like the 327 caliber, but I heard that the manufactures are going to discontinue it, saying it is a caliber not in demand any more.
If there is any truth in this, it just shows how stupid, or manipulative, manufacturers are. This reminds me of the demise of the manual transmission in heavy pickup trucks. Dodge replaced the very good NV5600 with the crap G56, and then made the RFE68 just decent enough that it was the grudgingly better choice. They never offered a better manual and then added the Aisin for guys needing something better than the RFE68. People kept asking for a good manual, never got it, grudgingly bought the autos, and then the manufacturers conclude that nobody wants a manual. Nobody wants a crap manual.

I think the analogy with the .327 is that many people don't want a gun that is hard to feed.

Rclark

Hunter
I think the analogy with the .327...
More like... No need for that cartridge in the first place. Move 'slightly' up to the .357 if you want a true hard hitting magnum. The .32 H&R Magnum is plenty potent IMO if your into .32s. The .327 was a solution to a non-existent problem.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
The other guys are correct; there are both stainless and blue GP-100's in .327 but the Blackhawks only come in stainless and the rare "Pinto". His asking price of $1000 on the Blackhawk is not at all unusual and I was lucky to get mine for a little less than that a couple of years ago. 14 months ago I was VERY fortunate to find this 6" GP-100 at a LGS for $650 with its original box and paperwork.
Here is my 327 family picture (yes, I know one doesn't "belong" but it's still technically a 327 ;) )
327's.jpg

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
... He also said he had recently sold a GP100 in 44 special. That made me grind my teeth a bit, as I would have thrown my shoulder out reaching for my wallet if I saw that! ...

Are GP100s in .44 Special hard to find? My local gun store had this new-in-box Jeff Quinn edition in stock last November and I bought it. It's very well built; high quality.

IMG_2995.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
The .327 Blackhawk in stainless was produced. But apparently, a very small number of them were also done with a blued cylinder. Not sure of the back story on why,, but they weren't catalogued. Since they as a stainless gun with a blued cylinder,, they got the nickname of being a "Pinto" in the .327 Blackhawk.
I've not seen one,, but there have been (2) pictures here on the Forum with them. Maybe a detailed search would give you a picture.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
At this point, my memory has been shaken and stirred!

I remember it was an 8 shot, and said New Model Blackhawk on the frame. At this point, I think it must have been stainless, and I'm confusing it with one of the blued guns I looked at. Sorry for the confusion. :(
I agree that it was likely stainless.

Either one was a good deal.

I sold a LNIB 4" GP100 in .327 late last year for $1250 shipped.

And I've sold two LNIB stainless .327 Blackhawks in the last few years for $1500 shipped and another fairly well used one with some scratches for $1225 shipped.

G2

Hunter
More like... No need for that cartridge in the first place. Move 'slightly' up to the .357 if you want a true hard hitting magnum. The .32 H&R Magnum is plenty potent IMO if your into .32s. The .327 was a solution to a non-existent problem.

The 32h&r was the perfect nitch,,, at first,,, then it lost its "Magnums",,, because it was too much for a certain brand of revolver.

The 327M was brought out to give "Joe Blow" his true Magnum back.

With that being said, The true .32h&r enthusiasts know that you can hand load to Ruger Only Magnum Velocities. ((if there is such a thing🙄)

All the hurry to re-chamber the 32h&r to 327M was/is Not Safe.
The reason for 7 chambers on the 327 M was to locate the bolt stop notches to a place on the cylinder to gain needed material thickness for 45k psi -vs- 21k psi/32h&r.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
All the hurry to re-chamber the 32h&r to 327M was/is Not Safe.
The reason for 7 chambers on the 327 M was to locate the bolt stop notches to a place on the cylinder to gain needed material thickness for 45k psi -vs- 21k psi/32h&r.
Not sure I fully agree with this part. Have there been significant reports of problems in this regard?

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
"Not in demand?" Every time Federal does a run, especially the 100 grain load they sell out in hours!
Not just the ammo. Whenever a revolver (make, model, doesn't matter) in 327fed (actually 32H&R also) is put on a shelf around here it will not last over a day.
Yup, there is a pent-up need for them "round here".

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
I would love to be able to pair up a Blackhawk in 327 with a lever action. I think that would be the total bees knees, so to speak.
Not sure it would be any good for anything... but I sure do think it would be fun.

G2

Hunter
Not sure I fully agree with this part. Have there been significant reports of problems in this regard?

After a few reported failures a lot of the custom gunsmiths quit doing the simple re-chamber,,, significant?…

IMO; There is really no advantage to doing this on a Single Six as the 32h&r can be loaded up, However there is No reliable published known Ruger Only Loads or data.

Again the off the shelf ammo for "Joe" is a piffle to what the cartridge is capable of,,, thus the 327M.
But if anybody needs some, I have a few boxes available.
52136494003_f1ce6fbacc_k.jpg

When Ruger and Lipsey's announced the Single Seven this was part of the verbiage.

Fortunately, the fine engineers at Ruger tinkered with the design and chose to shorten the barrel shank. The shank extends into the cylinder window which enabled them to lengthen the cylinder ever so much to make the 327 Federal fit. They also were able to make it a seven shot cylinder instead of a six. One advantage of odd number chambered cylinders is that the bolt notches are cut between the chambers and not directly over them. The Single Seven is the gun a lot of 32 caliber shooters have been waiting for since that first release of the 327 Federal. You can get your's in 4-5/8″, 5-1/2″, and Single Six non-Hunter model 7-1/2″ barrel.

I'm happy I got my 5.5" Single Six in .32 H&R back when I did. It's a cowboy style, like a Vaquero, with fixed sights. Last year I added a 5.5" Single Seven Bisley in .327. It wasn't too expensive. I think I'm pretty well covered on .32s at the moment, though I might add that Lipsey's S&W Airweight Centennial that they just dropped.

Latest posts