Ruger Announces New Model Blackhawk and GP100 In .327 Fed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Did anybody else run some energy calculations on Jeff's loads?

118gr slug doing 1,658 is 718ft/lbs energy. The 357Mag tops out around 800, maybe 825 in a 5.5" tube.

Now granted, it's not gonna have the penetration...but...dayum.

Single-Sixer
I'm interested, especially since they put it in my two favorite platforms of the Blackhawk and GP-100 and the fact that the .327 has proven itself to me already. I'm a bit concerned with the weight and agree that a Single-Six would've had me in a heartbeat. The eight/seven shot advantage may indeed be what puts me over the edge though. Either way, I imagine I'll have to get one or the other this year but it's doubtful if I buy both.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
There's also the "massive overlength cylinder advantage" for the handloader.

This is a 44Magnum-class frame. Great place to really crank up the 32 :).

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
The Single-Six would be nice, but the frame would have to be lengthened or the cylinder window opened up. The standard Single-Six cylinder is just too shot for optimum performance from the .327.

The 327 Blackhawk is only about 3 ounces heavier than my .45 Colt SAA, and it balances very well. A blued version could be lighter, and maybe it will come later. Anyway, in a good holster, 46.8 ounces is not excessive.

sixshot

Buckeye
Just my opinion but I like the added weight, whats a few additional ounces when packing a revolver. A heavier gun has less recoil, a lighter gun has more, although the 327 isn't going to have much either way. I want one & I"ll get one as soon as they show up. The badgers are gonna be in trouble.
Thanks for a very nice report Jeff!

Dick

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I think the 327 might make a good Coyote hunting handgun too. I have serious doubt Ruger would make this as a Hunter however but with the accuracy shown on gunblast.com it would certainly make a very capable varmint gun.

I need to handle one of these 327 Blackhawks to really give it a look. I do think I like the GP100 concept better but I will not buy either.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I'm intrigued, I like the idea of the Gp100 w/7 shots of .327-I'd like to try to reload for the .327 someday soon.
And the Sr9c is a great idea.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
Yawn, just what the gun world wasn't crying for another 9mm!!!! :x I won't even comment on the 2 giant 32 cal. pop guns that is is nearly inpossible to find ammo for! Good thing Bill Ruger didn't live to see what has happened to his company! :(

cubrock

Blackhawk
Despite the fact that I would like to see things like a 5-shot .480 Bisley, I'm looking forward to trying out one of those Blackhawks. Then again, one of my favorite shooters is a 1st Gen Colt SAA in .32-20. A .327 Single Six would be the cat's meow, but I'm not complaining about that Blackhawk!

gak

Buckeye
The hankering is still there for a Single Six...and it appears one of my .32s waiting for Ruger's announcement may need to be off to Bowen/ Clements/Harton, etc, after all. But, I still wonder--after all the hullabaloo over the 50 Ann. 357 and .44 FTs--why no mid frame BH/FT or New Vaquero (7 shot?),...especially dandy as a 7 (.327)/6(.32-20)shot combo. Maybe next year?!

collector rob

Bearcat
Hey Ruger, If you are listening, how about a Classic line like S&W. Bring back the security/speed six. Chamber it in .357, and .327mag. Maybe even 9mm, and .40 s&w also. I think a midsize .327 7-shooter would be the cats meow!

Just my .02

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have been thinking about the possibility of a 327 Small frame Blackhawk too and if Ruger is making the barrels, I don't see why it would be that hard for them to make a mid-frame 327 although it would require a different cylinder and perhaps different lock work.

I guess we will see.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I sent a note to Ruger via the "Tell the CEO" link first thing this morning and I received a reply from Mike Fifer. Very quick and evidence that he really does read the messages sent via the website.

I asked about the availability of the Blackhawk in .327 and this is what I received:

------------------------

Dear Mr. [cordite],

I believe we have about 2,000 units that we will be shipping to distributors this week. Your favorite retailer can get in line early by placing his/her order asap.

Best regards,Mike Fifer, CEO

----------------------

Run, don't walk, down to your LGS and get your order in now!

DGW1949

Hunter
Boxhead":k6is865q said:
A 48 oz 32 cal. I think I will pass.

+1

Looking on the bright side though;

From the looks of it, the additional lead-ins/notches have caused them all to be situated just about where the traditional "NM Ruger ring" usualy begins....so if that thing has a saving grace, maybe it'll be that it don't scar-up the cylinder.

Might be that if it sells, Ruger will someday offer a 30-Carbine convertable model. Might be just the thing for the small bore, hyper velocity guys.

At least it aint plastic :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DGW

sebtool

Blackhawk
The compact SR9 I can see - the market these days is geared towards smaller autos for CCW. I don't have any problem with that at all.

When the .327 was introduced I thought it had great potential as a compact kit or concealed carry/home defense gun. Hence the SP101, 1 which unfortunately I haven't been able to get my paws on yet. Sounds like a collector's item now.... :cry:

A gun needs to be proportional, as does any tool. If the .327 Blackhawk had been introduced in the mid sized frame with 6-7 shots, I could see potential. As it is, nearly 3 lbs. for a gun that shoots a .32 cal bullet? The extra shots in either model do nothing for me personally. If I can't hit what I'm aiming at with 5 shots, :shock: another couple ain't gonna to make any difference!

As for the GP100, I love my .357. As I do my SP101 in .357. They are proportional to the cartridges used, and even a tad bit on the heavy side there. Without looking, I believe that at 40 oz., the .327 GP is about 6 oz. heavier than my .357, iirc. Mr. March says the .327 loads Mr. Quinn tested approach .357 energy levels, which I don't doubt in the least. But it's still a .32.

Granted, both guns are built like tanks, and will probably outlive their purchasers by a considerable margin. The older I get, the less I like to carry, as far as weight goes. Call me a pansy, whatever. Just a fact, and I'd wager most out there are in the same category.

It seems to me that Ruger took the easy way out with these revolvers. The problems associated with the .327 SP101 seem to have scared their engineers where power to weight ratios are concerned. Those extolling the virtues of either gun are correct - they will sell, and probably fairly well.

BUT - if the engineering staff involved had taken the time to re-engineer the SP101 from a tooling standpoint, it would have outsold either of these by quite a bit. If the SP101 is strong enough for a .357, it's strong enough for a .327! The same goes for a mid-framed Blackhawk.

As a machinist since 1977, and a current shop owner, I KNOW that the problems were either tooling or machinery related. OK, there's the possibility of a metallurgy issue as well. Either trying to stretch the tooling or the production machinery beyond their capabilities, cost cutting on alloys, and a good possibility of a combination of all 3. PRODUCTION is where you need to 'over-build', not in the finished product.

Inexperienced engineers have a tendency to try and make 'cuts' in the wrong part of the processes involved, and I strongly believe that's what happened here. Some things can't be pushed, tooling and machinery corners can't be cut, if you want a consistently accurate finished product. Sure, it costs just little bit more per unit, but think of all the issues related to the .327 SP101 that could have been avoided! Any costs involved with that? Not to mention scaring off and completely losing potential buyers that were chompin' at the bit to get their hands on 1? Another $1.00 per gun in tooling, and $2.50 in machine time probably wouldn't have affected sales, as these aren't exactly bargain basement priced guns to start with, at least as far as my wallet's concerned!

How many posts has anyone on here seen where the OP wanted and couldn't find a good .327 SP101? Hell, I'd like to find a 'junk' 1 so I could rework the cylinder to where it's reliable..... All it takes are time and $$$$!

IF the Blackhawk was the mid frame model, and instead of just poking smaller holes in the GP100, the SP101 problems had been addressed, I say they'd have 2 BIG winners on their hands. As it is, they'll probably sell fairly well. At least marketing did their jobs in relation to the cartridge, they just blew it on the delivery platform.

Either a 6-7 shot mid-sized Blackhawk, or a reliable SP101 in .327 Federal would have sold like hotcakes. That's what most people want - a gun proportional to the cartridge. There are those who like the .475 Linebaugh in a 24 oz. gun, but not me, or the majority of other buyers.

The only saving grace I can see here is a larger segment of those sensitive to recoil will consider the GP100 as a HD gun. If you can't handle the recoil of a .357 in the GP, you're not going to want to carry a heavier model concealed, that's for sure. And many may be attracted to the Blackhawk as well for some of the various competitive sports they enjoy, for the same reason, and that's fine. The Blackhawk in a Hunter model may do pretty well too.

Me, I'm still waiting for a 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" .327 Single Six , and 3"- 4" SP101s in .327 and .22 mag. I won't even mention the GP100 in .41... :lol: Think I oughta hold my breath?

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Severely disappointed to say the least.
No room for either here; no use to me at all.
I knew better than to get "sucked in" when Mr. Bane brought all this up, but got pulled in anyway in anticipation of something great. That won't happen again. Fool me once.....

Latest posts