Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Back on subject a clip would be perfectly suitable for loading 9mm into a revolver!!!
Bianchi sells excellent range worthy speed clips (or magazines) lol. Just messing around. They are also good for the summertime when you don't feel like wearing a crap of stuff on your belt. I get tired of a iwb alien gear holster and speed loader pouch. I'm not batman.

Many times I'll put my sp101 in a sticky holster and grab a few "speed strips." I take the untire sticky holster out and it protects my revolver while on my console.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I don't think many

People would consider a #4 Phillips Screwdriver bit at supersonic speeds useless. They'll punch through 1/4-1/2" steel with ease and cavitate the crap out of Ballistic Gel or insides.
Use a flat head. It will tear up more withe the rotation. Lol

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Speed Strips are great for stashing in the car, a 6 shot Strip with .38 on it will work as an emergency expedient for any 5 or 6 shot .38 or .357 I happen to be carrying. It's better to have and not need.

f I forget them and a mechanic steals them , I guess he got me for 6 rounds 😃

I'm not like my friends who need a pair of 1911s and 8 mags to go to WalMart. A snub and a speed strip is fine for me

My retired cop friend said he misses the days when throwing a 50 round box of .357 in the glovebox of the cruiser as "fallback ammo" in case a gun fight breaks out......was a solid enough plan . Unlike today where you almost feel like you need an AR15 to go shopping

Smith and Wesson Model 317-3 Airlite with a red insert front sight, Wolff spring kit, infernal (internal) lock removed and a set of Sile combat grips. Loaded with Remington Yellow Jackets it makes a great little revolver to carry. The factory weight is 11.8oz so you barely know you are carrying it.
The blade is a Dozier Straight Personal and a great companion to the 317-3.
20230402_160102.jpg

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
Too small a grip. Can't handle steady diet of 357mag loads (recoil and structurally). Too light, again recoil aspect. If you can't fire 357mag you should just get a 9mm auto with 15 round capacity. 38 special is a crappy round.

Other than t h e above mentioned points it's the perfect carry revolver.
Obviously you don't have much experience with the 38sp. Especially with proper loads. The 9mm is at least a millimeter short of a carry gun I would consider even though I own and compete with them regularly.

Meplat is what stops. Not round noses.

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Obviously you don't have much experience with the 38sp. Especially with proper loads. The 9mm is at least a millimeter short of a carry gun I would consider even though I own and compete with them regularly.

I don't feel a single bit under-armed with my LCR loaded with 5 rounds of 135gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 38 Special + P's...It's been my experience that the armchair expert types who constantly bash this, that or any other cartridges lethal effectiveness, aren't volunteering to be shot by ANY of them just to prove a point...☝️

Last edited:
Smith and Wesson Model 317-3 Airlite with a red insert front sight, Wolff spring kit, infernal (internal) lock removed and a set of Sile combat grips. Loaded with Remington Yellow Jackets it makes a great little revolver to carry. The factory weight is 11.8oz so you barely know you are carrying it.
The blade is a Dozier Straight Personal and a great companion to the 317-3. View attachment 24028
That pretty much exactly what I am referring to except with the shorter frame and cylinder for 9mm

Last edited:

We've moved beyond FMJ's and Semi Wadcutters. Modern projectiles have advanced to ridiculous levels. I'm currently partial to Lehigh's XD/XP's. Some of my semi's don't like to work with them but what works with them is devastating.

Actually the g19 would most likely be a good size. A little heavier, but good amount of firepower. I like da/sa so a sig sp2022, or the p226 would be my auto choice.
I have carried the SIG SP2022 for a couple years -- it's perfect for me around town & in the car with a couple extra mags. In the field & stream I like the Ruger SP101 (3") .357 in a cross chest holster.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I have carried the SIG SP2022 for a couple years -- it's perfect for me around town & in the car with a couple extra mags. In the field & stream I like the Ruger SP101 (3") .357 in a cross chest holster.
When I'm out in the woods I carry one of my BlackHawks in .45 Colt loaded with alternating snake shot and hog killer rounds.

Yeah Yeah I EDC a semi as well. I probably haven't worn a revolver for actual carry for 20years. I have a nice stainless custom shop snubby and a carved leather holster. 5 38+p Golden Sabres will get most jobs done. Of course I can put twice the rounds in half the time in the same target with my Max9 that carries just as easily. There seems to be a trend towards auto caliber revolvers built on revolver caliber frames which means there's either a length of cylinder before the bullet reaches the bore or a barrel protruding into an empty gap in the frame. I'm proposing shortening the frame to match the shorter caliber appropriate cylinder in an already small and light frame and adding an inch of barrel for improved bullet performance in an easily carried package. The ability to add an optic, laser or light would enhance capability considerably. The only downside to shortening the frame is the cylinder gap blast being closer for people with bigger hands. Maybe Mosin was on to something with the cylinder that locks on the back of the barrel and forms a seal?

When I'm out in the woods I carry one of my BlackHawks in .45 Colt loaded with alternating snake shot and hog killer rounds.
I carry a 45/410 derringer with #7 shot. Perfect for snakes wich is my primary concern in the woods. I'm pretty sure they could put an eye or 2 out on anything bigger hopefully giving me time to regroup.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I carried a 2022 for a couple years on duty. Its a fantastic gun but sig provides zero after market support for them.