New SR40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
ArmedinAZ said:
Gunsby_Blazen said:
i remember that it was a really low serial number, i am thinking i should buy it

Why? Are there any plastic guns that sell for more than their NIB price later?
Right now you'd probably pay more for a first or second gen Glock than it cost new.

I didn't lose any money on a G17-L I bought a couple of years ago. Apparently it is no longer a cataloged item, though they make them occasionally. I paid something like $575 for mine, and saw one for sale for $700 recently. Not sure if it sold for that price, but...

-- Sam

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer

you never know....

but most of all it would be for myself, personal reason.
just to say that i got one of the earlier ones....

no other real reason other than that.....

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Gunsby_Blazen said:

you never know....

but most of all it would be for myself, personal reason.
just to say that i got one of the earlier ones....

no other real reason other than that.....

Just remember that early adopters sometimes pay a penalty in dealing with a new guns growing pains. Hopefully the SR40 series will not have any.
Sal

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i can tell you after looking it over that the slides and frames will not be cross compatible.

everything is slightly thinner on the SR9, slide, frame, ect

40 caliber's take down pin is also a little different to accommodate the beefier frame (it was the first thing i noticed and suggested to me that it was thicker..)

i talked to the gun shop owner who said he hadn't looked at it too much but did notice that the 9mm and the .40 cal are two different guns

same design but different dimensions....

so, barrels and slide swaps are not interchangeable

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Gunsby_Blazen said:
i talked to the gun shop owner who said he hadn't looked at it too much but did notice that the 9mm and the .40 cal are two different guns

This is true...I got to look at them both side by side today and the 40 is a little wider...I am not sure if they did it to keep the mag double stack or to handle the pressure of the 40.

In short - the SR40 is a little wider. It actually makes it nicer to me as it fills the hand a little better.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I believe in the original design of the SR9, Ruger put a high priority on keeping the slide/frame as narrow as possible while still building the gun to the high standards for strength Ruger has always held for it's products.
When doing the SR40 everything else HAS to get just a bit larger if it was to keep the same safety margins they built into the SR9's.
Sal

Verndog

Blackhawk
Has anyone noticed they removed the serrations (v grooves for gripping) from the front of the slide on the new 40?? I wonder why they did that, I find the front serrations handy for pulling the slide to lock open position.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
Has anyone noticed they removed the serrations (v grooves for gripping) from the front of the slide on the new 40?? I wonder why they did that, I find the front serrations handy for pulling the slide to lock open position.

SR9's never had them, only the SR9C's did.
Cheers,
Sal

Verndog

Blackhawk
Sal1950 said:
Cheers,
Sal

Thanks Sal.
I didn't notice that difference before. I wonder why the extra serrations on the shorter of the 2 guns?

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
Sal1950 said:
Cheers,
Sal

Thanks Sal.
I didn't notice that difference before. I wonder why the extra serrations on the shorter of the 2 guns?

Lighter slide needs a heavier recoil spring to control it so the SR9C's a little harder to jack.
Of course it could be the C's designer just thought it looked kool.
Sal

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Makes sense but curious all the same. Although the front serrations are on numerous designs (XD/XDMs come to mind), I was taught never to press check or overhand/jack a slide from the front for reasons of safety? :?

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Tam 212 said:
I was taught never to press check or overhand/jack a slide from the front for reasons of safety? :?

And that is absolutely correct. But current fashion sometimes dictates design no matter what is right or wrong.
Fashion now also dictates that everything must have a tact rail too, BLAH, who needs em.
My bud has this really KOOL AR platform rifle with quad rail and all the KOOL accessories. Dang thing weights more than my M1 Garrand. I thought the whole point of these plastic guns was to be lightweight????
End Rant LOL
Sal

Verndog

Blackhawk
Tam 212 said:
Makes sense but curious all the same. Although the front serrations are on numerous designs (XD/XDMs come to mind), I was taught never to press check or overhand/jack a slide from the front for reasons of safety? :?

True but the front serrations come in handy if you aren't doing a full cycle and want to lock into open position by using left hand on slide and right on slide stop / release to lock into open position.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Shouldn't you be able to do that by using the standard overhand at the rear of the slide, though?

Disclaimer: I haven't tried a SR9c so the shorter slide on that gun might have some handling differences.

Sol

Bearcat
Tam 212 said:
Getting slightly off thread topic but...

Have many Ruger pistols been adopted by any large police department or government agency?...

Nope! BOP does have mini-14s, aside from that, the only major LEA that I knew of to ever issue or approve for carry a Ruger centerfire pistol was the Wisconsin State Police, they had about a 6 year run with the P85/89, then dumped them en masse for the G-22.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Tam 212 said:
Shouldn't you be able to do that by using the standard overhand at the rear of the slide, though?

Disclaimer: I haven't tried a SR9c so the shorter slide on that gun might have some handling differences.

Ya, but since the lock is just on the left side you have to cross your left over top of your right to use your right thumb for the slide lock, then push up into your hand. By grabing the front of the gun your hands dont cross, and you have clear vision of everything. Just my preference with this gun I guess.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sal1950 said:
Verndog said:
Sal1950 said:
Cheers,
Sal

Thanks Sal.
Of course it could be the C's designer just thought it looked kool.

It doesn't .....