Ruger SR40 Anomaly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
I like the Ruger SR40 pistol that I own. But it intermittently ejects a live round from the magazine while the action is in the process of extracting and ejecting a fired case without otherwise causing a malfunction. This happens occasionally with each magazine I own, not just one in particular.

I can only surmise that the top round in the magazine is projecting up too far at an angle, thus causing it to be raked off during the cycling process.

Any other ideas why this is happening?

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Well heck, I can't believe nobody has responded. I have a couple of these guns, you got fluke magazines, and no one else has had this problem or what. Did you call the Ruger people?

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Gary Lee go to post

How are your ruget sr 40 pistols holding up

and see post #13. Now I've heard of two of you with the same......

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
Well heck, I can't believe nobody has responded. I have a couple of these guns, you got fluke magazines, and no one else has had this problem or what. Did you call the Ruger people?
Yes. I did contact the Ruger techs about this peculiar problem. They were very friendly and concerned, but they had no idea why it was happening.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Well, after ejecting your spent round along with a loaded round, do you get a live round in the chamber ? If so, it's bad thing followed up with a good thing if you happen to need the gun for something important.

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
Well, after ejecting your spent round along with a loaded round, do you get a live round in the chamber ? If so, it's bad thing followed up with a good thing if you happen to need the gun for something important.
Yes. The pistol functions normally, other than occasionally ejecting a live round from the magazine during the cycling process.

Inspect your magazine, the lips may be cracked at the back spine of the magazine. Questions I would ask a customer: does it do that with both magazines. Next question do you tap the base of the magazine against a hard surface or the hand when it is fully loaded before you insert it into the firearm? When you do this all the weight of those rounds bouncing up and down against the magazine lips act like a "slide hammer" and unfold the magazine lips.

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
Inspect your magazine, the lips may be cracked at the back spine of the magazine. Questions I would ask a customer: does it do that with both magazines. Next question do you tap the base of the magazine against a hard surface or the hand when it is fully loaded before you insert it into the firearm? When you do this all the weight of those rounds bouncing up and down against the magazine lips act like a "slide hammer" and unfold the magazine lips.
I have six factory magazines for this particular pistol. The problem occurs intermittently with all of them.

No. I don't abuse any of my magazines. But I do still think it is caused by the shock during discharge that causes the top round to nose-up too far, causing it to be raked out.

I know I'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem. But I might be the only one reporting it.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'd get a label from Ruger and ship it back

I wouldn't put up with a pistol throwing live rounds out

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
I'd get a label from Ruger and ship it back

I wouldn't put up with a pistol throwing live rounds out
The tech I spoke with was very concerned and suggested I return it as well. He also informed me the turn around time was roughly two weeks, which is not a problem for me. But sending my personal firearms via common carrier is a concern to me due to all of the thefts that's being reported during the shipping process.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The tech I spoke with was very concerned and suggested I return it as well. He also informed me the turn around time was roughly two weeks, which is not a problem for me. But sending my personal firearms via common carrier is a concern to me due to all of the thefts that's being reported during the shipping process.
The last Ruger I sent in , if I recall, was with a FedEx overnight label that they emailed me however I think I have sent them 3-Day Ground and just rolled the dice

Aqualung

Blackhawk
My P90 used to pop the last round out of the mag after the second to last round was fired. It did it on all 3 of the magazines I have.

Ruger didn't have much to say about what was causing it. However, I followed some advice from Iowegan who suggested swapping the mag followers and springs with Wilson Combat ones. The WC springs needed to be clipped a bit to fit, but not only did it fix the problem, the mags now hold 8 rounds instead of 7.

I also think that soon after, Ruger switched to WC "guts" on those mags because I think OEM mags hold 8 rounds now.

Not sure how that can be applied to your SR40, sorry.

Aqualung

Latest posts