Book Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't read books any more , I listen to them , I use the app Libby on my phone , what that does, is let me link my Library card to to the app and check out audiobooks for free, for 7 days at a time , works really nice !!! I've spent thousands of hours while driving listening to all kinds of books

BearBiologist talked about the Joe Pickett series and also Harry Bosch both good series , another one is by Jack Carr the James Reece series , I believe it starts off with The Terminal List ,, that one will keep you glued to your seat

another really fun series is by Robyn Carr, Virgin River , just fun easy books to listen too

Just a couple that I have just finished. Highly recommended.
5DQSiPql.jpg

uKKtaOEl.jpg

KIR

Sparks, NV
Gavin Menzies is a good author who wrote "1421, the Year China Discovered America"; 1434, The Year a Magnificent Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance; and "Who Discovered America?"
These are truly fascinating books. Ever wonder why, when the conquistadores landed in the New World they found Asiatic chickens? Have you ever seen Mexican wooden jewelry boxes painted in a black lacquer that is only made in one other place in the world= a province in China. Why does a certain tribe of "Native Americans" still wear, like the Chinese, white robes in their ceremonies? Could it be that when the great Chinese Admiral, Zheng He sailed into SF Bay and up the Sacramento River when water levels were at a higher point than they are now that the fleet lost a ship and the sailors and women who were aboard had to be left behind and intermingled with the Native Americans there? The latest books offer up interesting evidence about DNA to provide proof about many of his theories.
Open up your mind and even if you do not accept these theories, these books make for some interesting reading!!!

el caminero

Single-Sixer
Gavin Menzies is a good author who wrote "1421, the Year China Discovered America"; 1434, The Year a Magnificent Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance; and "Who Discovered America?"
These are truly fascinating books. Ever wonder why, when the conquistadores landed in the New World they found Asiatic chickens? Have you ever seen Mexican wooden jewelry boxes painted in a black lacquer that is only made in one other place in the world= a province in China. Why does a certain tribe of "Native Americans" still wear, like the Chinese, white robes in their ceremonies? Could it be that when the great Chinese Admiral, Zheng He sailed into SF Bay and up the Sacramento River when water levels were at a higher point than they are now that the fleet lost a ship and the sailors and women who were aboard had to be left behind and intermingled with the Native Americans there? The latest books offer up interesting evidence about DNA to provide proof about many of his theories.
Open up your mind and even if you do not accept these theories, these books make for some interesting reading!!!
Heard some of these stories long before menzies books, which i have, and have gifted as well. Interesting stories, but most of the world treats him like von danieken. Cannot deny a lot of the facts, its the conclusions that put people off!

Reactions: KIR
For sheer entertainment and fun; Try reading Terry Pratchett's disc world collection !!
My daughter is a giant fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. They co-wrote Good Omens. She's read more of Gaiman's work than Pratchett's.

Disc World sounds good though. I'll have to find a copy for her. She might like it.

We were at the bookstore last weekend and I bought this book called "The Bad Ass Librarians of Timbuktu." Just started it today. I can't tell if it's true or not. I think it's based on a true story. It's well written but hard because of all the African and Middle Eastern names.

I'm also half way through John Irving's "A Widow For One Year." But I don't think anyone here would like that book.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Of course Menzies might have gotten it backwards. The native Mexicans might have exported their crafts and skills to China. Just a theory. 😁
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The Chinese or the Olmecs?
According to DNA testing, there is Asian DNA in Native American in several civilizations in Hispanic America, but no Native American DNA in any Chinese peoples.

Glad to see that others have heard/read of Menzies. Great minds think alike! :)

Last edited:

KIR

Sparks, NV
James A. Michener, The Source
I remember reading The Source a long time ago and it was/is a great read!

During the early 70's, I read, the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. It was advertised as the longest/thickest paperback book of its time, 500+ pages and was made because of a new binding process. Due to my duties it took me three months to read.
Up until a decade ago, I always felt, if I started something I should finish it, as far as books are concerned anyway.
In my high school, classics were not mentioned. It was only later in life that I got around to reading, Homer, Virgil, Thucydides and a few others.
Casonova
The Complete Works of Pierre Louys
Shakespeare
The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Finally, there are my own unpublished manuscripts, over 100 writings of prose, poetry and short stories!

I also like Michener. I think I've read just about all of his books. Also Herman Wouk. I have most of his and read them periodically.
I like all of WEB Griffins early books until he started "co-writing" with his son and then his son took over after he died. His son didn't have the gift. The books after were never the same.
I am also a big Clancy fan.
For something completely different, Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen and Ngaio Marsh.

I don't read books any more , I listen to them , I use the app Libby on my phone , what that does, is let me link my Library card to to the app and check out audiobooks for free, for 7 days at a time , works really nice !!! I've spent thousands of hours while driving listening to all kinds of books

BearBiologist talked about the Joe Pickett series and also Harry Bosch both good series , another one is by Jack Carr the James Reece series , I believe it starts off with The Terminal List ,, that one will keep you glued to your seat

another really fun series is by Robyn Carr, Virgin River , just fun easy books to listen too
If you like Libby, then check out Hoopla. It's another app that you can tie to your local library and your library card. Lots of free audio books, magazines and even movies.

I've got it on my phone and the television.

It's sort of like Libby only they seem to have different content. I'm sure some overlaps though.

KIR

Sparks, NV
You read your own stuff? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You don't? I can't afford a proof reader, so I edit my own stuff. However, my reading audience has also offered suggestions, which I am always happy to read and possibly accept to improve my writings. Finally, what better else to read when I hit a roadblock? It's where I get my best ideas. While I have just over 100 completed writings, they have given rise to even more ideas on which to build on and that list is even longer...

KIR

Sparks, NV
One more to add to the list...
Caught the movie Kon Tiki yesterday. Thor Heyerdahl proved South Sea Islanders could make boats/ships out of their local woods and sail across the Pacific all the way to South America. Good movie. I remember reading the book in the late 50's.
So many books I want to re-read, so many new books to just read!