new pistol or ammo??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edm1

Single-Sixer
Actually Lee has their hand press on clearance for under $50. That's a must buy price. I have 5 reloaders and the hand press still gets used. It's my travel press. I reload in hotel rooms etc.
95029B7B-013A-4A05-8E3E-9CE5496C7903.jpeg

And n
I have been saving for over 6 months and have $300 to spend, well I was gonna save and have more and not have a question to post but my local shop guy called me so I now have to do one or the other. He said that his distributors on ammo were saying slow shipments to no shipments in a few weeks and he said the guns were going up in price as well but didn't say how much. I have one G3c, 10 magazines with it and around 5000 rounds of ammo with about 60% fmj and 40% jhp. I also have a Bond arms and up to 7 yds, it will group as good as my G3c but don't class it as a regular carry gun but just as a yard work gun. I don't shoot much now as I have several hundred through the G3c and fire about 20 rds a month now. I also have a 12 gauge home defense gun with 200 boxes shotshells and 120 5rd boxes of slugs. My 22lr I believe is ok at about 28,000 rds for it. So what would you do? buy another 9mm like the G3c or EC9s handgun or buy more 9mm ammo or even some 12 gauge ammo? Thanks for any help
Now I know where all the ammo went...... :ROFLMAO: :D

OK, kidding aside, you are thinking of defense. I get it. A couple of things to think about: You will likely NOT be attacked by a squad. If it happens, it will more likely be by one or two nut jobs.

Also, lets talk about practicality. I assume your Bond arms is a 2 shot derringer. Nice little back-up, but if you have to use it in an attack, how many times do you think you will be able to stop and re-load it? Whatever ammo you have for it is more than plenty. The same goes for the 12 gauge. You have way more than you will ever have time to re-load.

I don't care how many .22LR weapons you have, 28, 000 rounds is way more than you will be able to use.

You have 5,000 rounds for the GC3, which would be your go to handgun. This would probably get the most use in an attack, but if you haven't stopped an attack with 50 rounds, you won't with 5,000 either.

Again, I stress that I don't think you will see a large assault wave, but, if any, a couple of wingnuts.

I don't see any real NEED to buy anything at all. If you want another GC3 for parts / just in case- go for it. Otherwise, save your money. Just IMHOP. Your mileage may vary.

I agree with 'arfmel': two is one and one is NONE.
If your primary fails, you have the backup or the backup is a source of parts. Ammo supply is a multi-headed snake. Having 'enough' to manage immediate threats is paramount. Having a way to make more is a good idea. Unless one lives in a highly volatile metro area, the immediate need is a big question mark. Stored properly, ammo doesn't 'go bad' so having 5000 rounds of handgun ammo isn't too much(depending on your budget). Having both a handgun and a PCC is possibly a better idea for streamlining ammo supply(magazines too).

Actually Lee has their hand press on clearance for under $50. That's a must buy price. I have 5 reloaders and the hand press still gets used. It's my travel press. I reload in hotel rooms etc.
View attachment 32030
I still use mine frequently even though I have multiple others. I use it to seat and crimp when I'm not running the progressive.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Is it on Lee's website or somewhere else for under $50......??? looking.....

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I'm with @Hvymax on a PCC, save a little more money, go put one on layaway so you know it is yours if you have to. I like to have mag compatibility so I bought a kel-tec 40 to work with my Glock 22's and 23's, fits in the truck console and makes me feel better that I can stretch the 40 out a little if needed.

RSIno1

Hunter
Lake City recently announced that they are cancelling civilian contracts for ammo. I suspect 223/556 & 9mm will be the first to become in short supply. Buy as much as you can with what $ you have and resell it for a big profit in 6 months to a year.

Mike J

Hunter
I believe you are the only person that can answer that question. You seem to have a nice ammo stash. I always try to remember if buying a gun that there will be other expenses that go along with it. If a handgun I will need more money for a holster. Depending on the gun I might opt for different defensive ammunition than what I use in my other gun that is the same caliber. Sometimes different weight hollow points work better in some barrel lengths than others. If a long gun I might want an optic, etc.

Latest posts