conceal carry a 4 inch??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a 4 inch barrel service six, it is my only handgun i have. i recently got my cc permit, i have bought a holster and will be using this gun. i shoot it extremely well and just love the way it feels, but i have a question that i would like answered. does anyone carry a similar size gun concealed? the reason i ask is on several other forums i have asked about holsters and ways to carry, but instead of getting answers i asked for on some forums i get this.( get rid of your current gun, it's too big to conceal, trade it to a smaller gun or sell it and buy one. use it for open carry while in the woods but for everyday carry get a small pocket size gun). now i'm keeping my gun that i know, but i would just like to know if anyone else carries a gun the size of mine? if so, what holster do you use?, and how do you carry like iwb or owb? thanks for any help

SpartanDCI

Bearcat
I used to carry S&W Model 19's, both a full size grip and a custom round butt grip long ago, then went to a Ruger Speed Six (357) with non-factory 4 inch barrel added (the Skeeter Skelton Special). In a suit coat or with a light jacket to cover - you are good to go - but in light clothes you have to go with a shirt out or inside the pants with a light t covering. You can carry it, and the basic premise is that a handgun should fit your hand for you to be proficient. Now I carry a SIG P228 and switch up with a H&K USP 45 Compact, which are flatter guns that the Ruger, but not really any smaller. Dont worry about what other people say - just get a good belt holster for field wear and a comfortable inside the pants holster for creeping around concealed (legally). I use either a Milt Sparks inside the pants holster/Summer Special or any one of Alessi Concealment's belt slides or Inside the Pants holsters. If you want to try out the Inside the waist holster, try one of Alessi's Talon Clip holsters - I have used them off and on for over 20 years with no failure or problems. They are relatively inexpensive and allows you to try IWB (Inside the waist) carry and the only thing you need to have is a belt on. The only downside is how to carry your spare reload. I liked the safariland speed loader pouch, which straddled your belt for a super low profile - but was fast to release. You can check to see who else makes a similar rig for a quick six reload. Hang in there, just keep practicing and get proficient/and comfortable using your Ruger!

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
In warm weather I would prefer an iwb holster. In cooler weather either the iwb or owb holster would work fine. Several companies make suitable holsters. For owb I would be inclined to get a pancake style holster. Simply Rugged makes a good one as do several other companies.

DGW1949

Hunter
Heck, I've caried service-sized semi-autos for years now, and have been known to hide a SAA under my shirt. How's about a 4" medium framed revolver you ask?....a piece of cake.

DGW

You can carry most any handgun for self defense. I used to carry a 4" Security Six concealed. Carry what you want. The key thing to carrying a larger gun is a good belt, a good holster and you may have to adjust what you wear to something that will help you conceal it. Some call for a jacket, some a long shirt, others a vest. Try a few things at home and look in the mirror. Even wearing clothes that will conceal you still have to be careful about the way you reach, or bend over. Good luck.

5of7

Hunter
boomer92266 said:
i have a 4 inch barrel service six, it is my only handgun i have. i recently got my cc permit, i have bought a holster and will be using this gun. i shoot it extremely well and just love the way it feels, but i have a question that i would like answered. does anyone carry a similar size gun concealed? the reason i ask is on several other forums i have asked about holsters and ways to carry, but instead of getting answers i asked for on some forums i get this.( get rid of your current gun, it's too big to conceal, trade it to a smaller gun or sell it and buy one. use it for open carry while in the woods but for everyday carry get a small pocket size gun). now i'm keeping my gun that i know, but i would just like to know if anyone else carries a gun the size of mine? if so, what holster do you use?, and how do you carry like iwb or owb? thanks for any help

I don't know about in Ky., but in Mi. we are an 'open carry' state, meaning that one is allowed to carry a handgun openly (with certain restrictions) without needing a license. Now what this does for the CPL holders is that we do not have to worry about keeping our handguns concealed when carrying.

If Ky. allows for the gun to show without penalty, then that simplifies things a lot. If not, then almost any IWB holster should work fine for you, but you will probably need to buy pants a little larger to make room for the gun. 8)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I carried this 4" S&W Model 586 for a while in this Don Hume holster:

Without any cover, looked this way:

I usually wear a leather vest in warm weather to cover, good for Memphis weather where it seldom gets over 105 degrees. Cold weather cover with a jacket or sports coat.

Bob Wright

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I carry every handgun in a slide appropriate for its size in my front wasteband or Small of back, sometimes both. I also am subject to use a bootlace with a loop for my belt to pass thru and a loop for the barrel of the gun to go in, then in my britches. I can wear shorts, cabana shirt, while carrying a Desert Eagle 44 mag all day long and you would never know. If I carry anywhere else, it bugs the crap out of me.

My point, there is no perfect holster or location, you have to figure it out for yourself.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Good belts and good holsters make all the difference. Here's a few the smiths are short, but it's the grips that print not the barrel and both holsters are availible in longer barrel lengths. All work concealed matching clothes to the gun and carry method.

325pd with el paso iwb

396ng fist iwb

Talo super blackhawk CME holsters cross draw and ross strong side

Single six bucheimer strong side

john123456

Bearcat
yes my carry guns are a 4 inch s&w mountain gun in 45colt or a ruger vaquero sheriff 3.75 . and i use a simply rugged sourdough pancake with the iwb straps for cc and without when just kickin around the woods and what not. no need to get rid of what u got i mean can u slip it in your front pocket no but you can hide it fine in a holster

deet

Bearcat
A ton of really good options in this thread. I use a stoner holster usually one I order from him online. I am a leftie and usually have to special order my holsters. I carry my 4" police service six in a black OWB pancake holster with a good belt. The gun never moves and the holster is tight to my body which is how I like it to ride. I open carry or cc in Indiana and this system works for me. IWB with my fat belly doesn't feel comfortable with a revolver. IWB with a small semi is fine for me.