Rugers original Single Six 32 H&R Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Buckeye
Earlier today I mentioned about the Single Six 32 H&R Mag revolver in another thread. It was a casual post, but have thought about it today. The original blued Single Six. Remember the ads back in 1984 & '85 talking about the new "Hard hitting new varmint round" amongst other advertising verbage. I, like a lot of others, saw that picture in the catalog and said " Wow, now that looks really interesting !! I always loved and still do love the Single Six in 22 rimfire, but this is now center fire in a small Single Six package !!! The 32 H&R Mag round would be perfect in the Single Six !! That's exactly what I thought then and still do think. To me, the original Blued Single Six back then with the adjustable sights was to me just magical. I think a lot of folks think the same exact thing.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Really like the Single Six in 32HR. I have 3 of them. The 32 cal sixes are my reloadable "22's". Also have several of the Single Sevens. I very rarely load the 327s to their full potential, but somewhat around mild 32HR levels. Whether carrying the Six or Seven, either makes a fun affordable pine cone, tin can, dirt clod busting fun afternoon. Does right fine on ground hogs and squirrels and such too.

I have brass, dies, and bullets to keep em fed. I need to settle on a good cast lead bullet and get them ordered. Maybe even a mold to start casting for them.

Attachments

• IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 44

contender

Ruger Guru
When they first came out,, I figured they wouldn't catch on, and become collectable due to the fact they wouldn't last. And I kinda figured the same thing about the Bisley grip frame.

This was ALL before I tried either one.

Not only was I VERY wrong about both the caliber, and the grip frame design.

But back in about 1985,, I decided; "Hey,, get a .32 Mag in a Bisley" and have a truly rare gun!" Well, my girl friend at the time bought me one. I was happy. And I always like to have a "shooter" in a caliber/gun I own. I found a Single-Six in .32 Mag,, and bought it cheap. When I tried it out,, I was impressed, and knew I'd been very wrong in my thinking. A very good "oops" on my part.

I still have the Bisley .32 NIB. But I also have a few good shooters in .32 Mag, and .327 as well. Never regretted it at all. (But being so ignorant about something,, well,,, I'll admit my mistakes.)

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
LOL,,,, compressed timeline version.
Early on I fell for two H&R revolvers (can't remember the model numbers ) and thought MEH , not much different than 32long. No hint of the future as no one was creatively reloading it due to the wimpy H&R guns.
Ruger got into the game with the single six. DANG! reloading started creeping upwards and I bought I believe 4 variations. Loved them.
Ruger launched the 327. My tiny brain decided that was the future and shortly few would want the "almost as good as" 32mag. so I sold them all "rather cheaply) and bought a few (rather expensive) 327's.
By the time I matured into seeing the often excess of the 327 and the true beauty and just right nature of the 32 mags their prices had of course shot up . It cost me plenty to replace my needed (and some not so needed) 32 mags. More than I need now but I still compulsively want to buy everyone I run into.

Latest one ,,,,,, just because.

9.5 inch.JPG

And a fun little not so fixed sight gun.

32VAQ#2-2.JPG

Last edited:

Star43

Buckeye
When they first came out,, I figured they wouldn't catch on, and become collectable due to the fact they wouldn't last. And I kinda figured the same thing about the Bisley grip frame.

This was ALL before I tried either one.

Not only was I VERY wrong about both the caliber, and the grip frame design.
Well you may "thought* you were wrong, but you got one, and then another, and then another, so no matter what you may at first "thought", it ultimately all turned out pretty darn good! 👍

Star43

Buckeye
Yes
LOL,,,, compressed timeline version.
Early on I fell for two H&R revolvers (can't remember the model numbers ) and thought MEH , not much different than 32long. No hint of the future as no one was creatively reloading it due to the wimpy H&R guns.
Yes, very recently, I had thought the 327 was THE place to go.....but after reading and looking at so many threads on it, what does it really boil down to....Most guys still shoot mainly 32 Longs or 32 Wadcutters, and they are in underrated round for sure ...these 32's and of course the 32 Mags. And for the guys who reload, what are they reloading? The 32 Long brass or the 32 Mag brass ..That is what I notice the most ....Yes, that first 32 H&R Magnum gun in Blue was a dream gun to a lot of good people, in my opinion of course. But I think it is a very safe opinion. 🙂👍👍

Rclark

Hunter
When I shoot/load the .32 ... it is the .32 H&R Magnum. I still don't really see a need for the .327. I do have one Single-Seven, but it has never seen a .327 cartridge. Anyway, that is just me -- as usual :) . As above, the .32 is my reloadable .22. I simply loaded a case with 78gr round nose (twice the weight of a .22 bullet) to get to .22 velocities. Of course I've found loads for the 100gr and 115gr bullets as well just for fun. Still I am partial to just using the 78gr bullet as closer to the .22.

The whole reason I got into the .32 was during the time when .22 was Un-obtainium. I was one of those guys that really didn't see the need for the .32 or the .41 (still don't). But looking around the .32 was the closest I could get to the .22, so bought a Single Seven as it was available. Of course as soon as I pulled that trigger, it wasn't long until I ran across a baby Vaquero in .32, and then, and then.... So have a few now. I admit, they don't get out as often as the .22s... But at least I am covered if .22 becomes UnObtainium again.

Star43

Buckeye
When I shoot/load the .32 ... it is the .32 H&R Magnum. I still don't really see a need for the .327. I do have one Single-Seven, but it has never seen a .327 cartridge. Anyway, that is just me -- as usual :) . As above, the .32 is my reloadable .22. I simply loaded a case with 78gr round nose (twice the weight of a .22 bullet) to get to .22 velocities. Of course I've found loads for the 100gr and 115gr bullets as well just for fun. Still I am partial to just using the 78gr bullet as closer to the .22.

The whole reason I got into the .32 was during the time when .22 was Un-obtainium. I was one of those guys that really didn't see the need for the .32 or the .41 (still don't). But looking around the .32 was the closest I could get to the .22, so bought a Single Seven as it was available. Of course as soon as I pulled that trigger, it wasn't long until I ran across a baby Vaquero in .32, and then, and then.... So have a few now. I admit, they don't get out as often as the .22s... But at least I am covered if .22 becomes UnObtainium again.
From what I have seen and heard, you are pretty much the norm. Guys may have the 327, but basically, most of them shoot the 32 Mag when reloading. Personally I think you have the best of both worlds there. You have plenty to play with and if you get the itch you could shoot the 327. The possibility is always there. Good going. 👍

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Billy, Why would you let either one go ??? By God, keep them both....Double the fun. Shoot one and keep the other one as pristine as possible!! 👍
Oh , believe me, won't part with any of my singles . I just keep adding to my collection 😉 I am hoping to find a single seven , that one I don't have .

Star43

Buckeye
Oh , believe me, won't part with any of my singles . I just keep adding to my collection 😉 I am hoping to find a single seven , that one I don't have .
Me either. I just don't see them around my area at all. Neither do I see the 32 Mag.....but you know, if I ever walked into a shop and saw a 327 AND a 32 Mag......wow that would be tough...of course it depends wholly on the condition of the guns .. But if they were both excellent, I would probably get the 32 Mag....To me they have turned into a type of cult gun. Maybe that's why I don't see them at all......or how about a SSM marked one? That would be like having the Blue Bird of Hap-piness pooping somewhere near your head. Very close of you get my drift. 😄😄👍

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Currently on the hunt for a stainless, adjustable sight .32Mag Single Six with warning on the bottom. I think it was a run for Williams. Love the .32's

Star43

Buckeye
I was bidding on a 5.5" SSM on gun broker. It eventually went for $1000 in as new condition with box, shipper, and paperwork.
I can believe that. I think it was only the first 600 or so made that had that SSM marking on the frame. The one I have is from 1985 and doesn't have that marking, but it's ok, I love it as it is. 🙂

Star43

Buckeye
Bought a 5-1/2" H&R when they first came out. Shot about 150 rounds, mostly reloads. Nice gun, now stored away in the safe. :)
Is yours an SSM ? Otherwise, you sound just like me. I don't have an SSM. It's an early one, but from 1985. I think mine has about 100 rounds through it. 50 of the original Federal 32 Mag and 50 of the Fiocchi 32 Longs. I take it out and cuddle it once in a while. My feeling was to keep it pristine and to get another one, and shoot that one more after I retire. Anyway, that's the plan.