Old Model 357 6.5 inch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spud711

Bearcat
I have an old model 357 that I have owned since 1971. I want to know what they are going for now.

Attachments

• DSCF0198.JPG
    DSCF0198.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0199.JPG
    DSCF0199.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0200.JPG
    DSCF0200.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF0201.JPG
    DSCF0201.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0202.JPG
    DSCF0202.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 34

contender

Ruger Guru
The latest RENE price guide lists them at about $525.00. Now,, often,, GB has many guns sell above what the RENE price guide suggests. But the RENE Guide is an average of "what one collector would pay another collector for a gun."

3-screw, but prefix so slight distractor.
Overall pretty good shape, only a little bit of holster wear and turn line

Has it been converted (I'm guessing not)?

IMO, FWIW, ~$800 as an "insurance value"

I have mine (1968) valued about $900 for insurance value.

spud711

Bearcat
It's original, like I said I've owned it for over 50 years. I would like to sell it. I'm 81 and try to find homes for a lot of my stuff. I have a pretty good vintage ammo collection too. Everything from 22 Mag, 256-win mag, 25-20, a full box of Marlin 40-60 and 45-70. I don't know where to sell it.

hittman

Staff member
I don't know where to sell it.
Why not the Classifieds here?

hittman

Staff member
Oh yeah, and for your very own RENE info, here's the link.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Spud, I'm not a collector, but I believe that your gun was made in a very large quantity; thus its collector value is quite low in my opinion. In the gun shops that I frequent, it would be lanquishing on the shelf for years. As mentioned above, checking Gunbroker.com for completed sales (you have to go into Advanced Search and go from there) is a good idea. This presupposes that you would be willing to use an auction site to get the absolute best price. For the most "quick and easy" method, I would use the Classifieds here; BUT, do not be surprised it the amounts quoted above will not be forthcoming here. Collectors are fussy, and CHEAP :); and most folk probably have a half dozen of your particular gun. There is always the possibility that someone here will be looking for a 'base gun' to have a custom made, but yours looks too nice to sacrifice IMO. As far as you vintage ammo collection goes, by now you've received "conversations" or "private messages" from those interested in that collection. GOOD LUCK.... I've given away some of my stuff over the last few years and understand where you are in life.
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you do a bit of looking here,, in our own classifieds,, you can find the occasional listing and sale of similar guns. In fact,, there's a similar gun FS on page 2 of the classifieds right now,, listed at $750 and has not been sold. So a value of $800-$900 is a fair amount higher than realistic prices. Maybe for insurance purposes,, but not realistic sales prices.

You can list it here in our Classifieds,, with a starting price and add OBO,, to see what happens. If you are selling locally,, then you can kinda get an idea of values from GB & here etc,, and if a potential buyer wants to haggle,, then price accordingly.

As noted,, that particular model was made in a large quantity,, so it's not as rare or as scarce as others.

hittman

Staff member
No insurance company will reimburse more than the current fair market value; will they?

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The prefixed .357 Blackhawk would probably sell for $600-650 easily enough. Possibly up to $700 on a good day.

The .256 Win Mag ammo is Hawkeye Food and the last time was in the market, I would feel lucky paying anything less than $75/box, but that was at least a decade ago and I suspect it is over $100 now.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I should say "was" - I gifted it to my oldest son on his 50th birthday in 2018 because it was his birth year too.
Also gave him the San Antonio Alamo Leatherworks rig that was bought the same year.
IMG_0361.jpeg