CFE in .45 acp ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
I checked the Reloading Data Center at Hodgdon, and they show loads for several bullet weights using CFE Pistol. But you have to agree to their terms to see it. Not a lot of info. But good starting places.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
DB what you will find if you click several different powders in the 45acp section is they pretty much test the same 9 bullets (155gr-230gr) with a variety of different powders.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DB, I've loaded a fair amount of 45 ACP rounds with CFE, only test loaded and chrono'd one bullet. The Hornady 200gr XTP, loaded at an OAL of 1.230" w/7.8gr of CFE gave me just over 1000 fps in a 1911 and a bit faster in a CZ97. That was the most accurate load weight for me.

loaded round

Hunter
I have been using CFE Pistol in my two 9MM's and my Sig P229 357 Sig for the past six months now and in fact am on my second container. I am extremely fond of CFE Pistol in it's accuracy, bore cleanliness, and lower chamber pressures. I'm very pleased with this powder. BTW, I have no trouble accessing the Hodgdon reloading site and didn't have to give up my first born male child to use it.

I've been out to the range numerous times, but today was the first time I actually brought the CFE loads to try out - these are shot through my 4 5/8" bbl Blackhawk convertible with the 45ACP cylinder in it. Cylinder throats have been reamed to .4525".
I actually brought a variety of loads - about 15-20 rounds of each to see how things grouped before I haul out the chrony and try to fine tune things.

These loads all used old Northeast Bullets' LRN 230 gn plain base lead bullets in Winchester or Fiocchi brass, and using Federal primers. I don't know if they even sell these bullets anymore, but I got several 500 ct boxes a while ago and am still using them. At the time, they were quite inexpensive - I am sure others will work.
I initially started to shoot at 25 yards (being overly optimistic), and moved in to 10 yards to get a clearer picture of things.
Next time out I'll load up the (3) best and shoot from rest/supported position for group size and use the chrony and include pictures

5.6 gn CFE Pistol Fairly mild load, but not great in consistency
5.8 gn CFE Pistol This has potential, much more consistent/grouping
6.2 gn CFE Pistol Definitely a stouter load, but group size opening up significantly - maybe going to fast for the bullets(?), possibly a few unburned granules appeared on the gun.
* Until I noticed a few granules with the 6.2 load, these loads all seemed pretty clean burning - most of the smoke I encountered with the loads I think was the bullet lube.

5.6 gn Green Dot Pretty close groups with 3 or more holes touching - definitely has potential, cleaner than Unique, but not as clean as CFE.

7.0 gn Unique Virtually identical to the 5.6 Green Dot load in vertical orientation (maybe 1/2" higher) and grouping 2-3 holes touching and others very close. Not too dirty, but definitely the dirtiest/hottest of these.

For the 45ACP in the Blackhawk, I consider it a plinker/practice platform when I want to use more economical supplies and less powder than my 45 Colt Hunting loads (Ruger Only). I am definitely going to put some more of mid-level CFE, Green Dot, and 7.0 Unique loads together and see where this goes. I expect the Green Dot and Unique loads will be around the 850 FPS mark.

mikld

Blackhawk
I realize this is an old thread, but I was curious so I looked in my 2015 Hodgdon manual for 45 ACP w/CFE data. Found loads for 9 different bullets, jacketed and lead... :roll:

dennyo2

Bearcat
Hornady's 10th Edition has data on all of its Jacketed 45ACP bullets using CFE.
None for their cast
Denny

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
I also bought 8lbs of CFE-Pistol to back up my supply of HP38 for 9mm and 45ACP. My plan now is to switch my 45ACP from HP38 to CFE-P, so I started some testing using the LRN test reports shown by Hodgdon. 230gr Berrys PRN (.452), 1.230", CCI SP, 5" S&W E-series:

5.4gr: 628fps. Hodgdon reports 815fps w/.452 LRN
5.6gr: 641fps
5.8gr: 688fps
6.0gr: 692fps. Hodgdon reports 815fps w/.451 FMJ
6.2gr: 701fps, Hodgdon reports 942fps w/.452 LRN

Group sizes for 5.4gr to 6.0gr were fine and indistinguishable from each other. 6.2gr opened up a bit, but that could have been me.

Cartridges were assembled on a Hornady LNL AP; however, powder charges for load testing are hand-weighed to the kernel on an A&D FX-120i. IMO there's not much point in testing 0.2gr apart using charges thrown by volume.

MVs were measured by a Labradar. It is possible that the Berrys PRNs are softer and generate less pressure than lead bullets of the same diameter. Certainly the 0.030" longer OAL contributed to the MV "issue", but I doubt it caused all of the drop from Hodgdon's test reports.

The next test on Friday will eliminate the OAL difference and be set at 1.200" which feeds fine in my 1911. And it will cover 6.0gr to 6.8gr (FMJ test results).

OTOH, there's a trend that concerns me: in all of Hodgdon's reporting of CFE test results they show higher MVs than I have ever gotten with CFE-P or CFE-223. CFE costs more than (eg) HP38 and H335, and you use more CFE too. Call me paranoid, but I'm not ready to accept the reported MVs as more than marketing lol.

DixieBoy said:
. . . Their one and only recipe for CFE Pistol and 185 grain jacketed bullets
. . .
As for the lack of recipes, perhaps it would help some if you consider them to be what they really are . . . reports of test results . . . rather than "recipes". They are unlikely to match your results in any case.

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Finished the second load test of CFE-Pistol in 45ACP, Berrys 230gr PRN (.452), COL reduced to 1.200":

6.0gr: 768fps Hodgdon reports 815fps w/.451 FMJ
6.2gr: 786fps
6.6gr: 846fps Hodgdon reports 942fps w/.452 LRN
6.8gr: 868fps Hodgdon reports 934fps w/.451 FMJ

So the MVs jumped significantly lowering the COL from 1.230" to 1.200", but still far below what Hodgdon claims in their test reports. All rounds burned clean and the groups were indistinguishable again, except the hottest load tested (6.8gr) opened up just a bit again.

Will be using 6.6gr CFE-Pistol to replace 5.2gr HP-38.