45 colt in uberti73

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I shot 10 rounds from the 73 lever action this morning.Shoots great I'm wandering about pressure
250 gr lead round nose
And 8.3 gr unique. In My toggle action 73. Manual shows no pressure for this load. Is this load a concern in this gun. Sure seems like it's got enough power. No primer pressure signs. A little black on side of empty case but not much.I like the feel of the power but sure don't want to go over I pressure. If the sammi is 14,000 then is it ok to bet right there at the 14,000 give or take a smidget

Last edited:
Don't use this information as the fact causing the black powder stains on the cases. Just pointing out this can be causing that on your cases. I recently loaded up ammo for a new S&W .45 acp. I started at the beginning (lowest PSI load) part of every case had a black streak nearly to the base. The action did eject cases great. Mine was likely caused by the case not fully expanding in the chamber. I worked up the scale with more powder and it nearly went away.
So ,if your at the lowest powder load listed maybe a slight amount more may seal the case better in chamber and prevent the black stains. Also a different powder may work better. I have no working knowledge with the win 73 type actions. Don't increase loads unless you know it's safe. In the end black powder streaks on cases can be cleaned off and really aren't a big deal.

Last edited:
The closest data to your load is from Alliant's on-line reloading guide. According to their data with a 250 lead SWC the maximum load of Unique is 9.5 gr.

45 Colt Data.JPG

So you're well below maximum. The fact that your well below maximum is also evidenced by the black soot on the sides of the cases which is evidence that the cases aren't even expanding enough to seal the chamber walls.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I see the barrel length in that chart is 5.5 in. I'm shooting a 24 in. Will that increase the pressure? I wouldn't mind a little more velocity but dot want to stress the toggle links much. So I could go up to 8.5 to 8.8 area and if no pressure signs I would be ok.
Only if it benefitted me in velocity and accuracy.What do you think. My math is not that great anymore but at 8.5 gr that would put me at 90%
Of the 9.5 in the chart. I've never like max loads maybe I better stay where I'm at.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
One spec that is often ignored relative to pressures is the proper bullet seating depth &/or overall length OAL of the cartridge.

Just a thought worth mentioning.

J.

Latest posts