2023 best pocket gun.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbadlou89

Bearcat
I've had 2 lcp 2's over the years and both ran perfectly. Unfortunately I no longer have either and I want to fill that pocket gun role. I'd love just an original lcp however I've seen so many posts about reliability issues especially from the Mayodan plant which appears to be the facility they're currently from. The lcp max also seems to have reliability issues. My main question is are any of the current lcp models reliable out of the box. And will an original lcp for $200 brand new be worth it?

I have owned many LCP's, the Original and a number of the Gen2 (Not LCP ll). As far as reliability never had a issue. However none of them lasted for any serious amount of ammo down range. All (about 4 of them) ended up cracking in some place. Rail splits etc. The Best Pocket gun IMO is the Kahr 380 and the Beretta Pico. Both built like tanks and will run and run and run. Sadly the Pico has been discontinued and you will pay a hefty price if you can find one. I still one LCP , but seldom shoot it. No where as smooth and mild as the Kahr and Pico. (I own two Kahrs 380's and three Pico's. If I were to buy another LCP it would be the Gen 2 made at the Mayodan plant. For one it has the best trigger for EDC and you can get a 7 rd magazine.I also have the LCP ll in 22.cal as well.

Last edited:
Had no problem with the one I carried for a couple years... not as a pocket pistol but on my hip... other than the magazines and slide rusting on the gun. But I finally decided I was not totally comfortable with a striker fired pistol and went back to DA/SA... but this is all on the hip. I do have a Sig p290 that is a pocket pistol... it is double action only. Has the factory laser on it and is probably the only way to hit anything outside of 20ft.

Side note: I was totally against pocket carry until I watch a Hickock45 you tube video on them... he sold me on it as a viable alternative.

I don't generally pocket carry but occasionally in the summer time or during formal events I'll carry my Sig P238 in a DeSantis pocket holster. I've never been a fan of .380 but this gun operates like butter and its actually my favorite to shoot of the dozen or so Sigs I own. I usually run fmj or v-crown which it seems to like.

Attachments

• p238-sas-with-hand-loaded-hollow-points-v0-5zsoxb7o46db1.jpg
    p238-sas-with-hand-loaded-hollow-points-v0-5zsoxb7o46db1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 38

Outpost75

Outpost75
Depends upon how deep your pockets are...
After all, it's only money.
20230120_120236~3.jpg

The "before" pic -1915 Colt New Service .455 Eley. 250-grain Speer Deep Curl, 4 grains of Bullseye, 650 fps, expanded to .72 caliber despite a "too large" 0.009" barrel-cylinder gap. Expanded bullet stopped in the 4th gallon water jug.

The "after" pic. Rebuilt by Sandy Garrett of Northern VA Gun Works. Fitted 3-1/2" Douglas barrel. Fabricated and silver soldered new front sight. Targeted for point of aim to equal point of impact at 15 yards. Barrel gap set to 0.006", end shake corrected, timing adjusted, action job. Matte blue.

20231107_200818~2.jpg

I don't generally pocket carry but occasionally in the summer time or during formal events I'll carry my Sig P238 in a DeSantis pocket holster. I've never been a fan of .380 but this gun operates like butter and its actually my favorite to shoot of the dozen or so Sigs I own. I usually run fmj or v-crown which it seems to like.
I don't "pocket" carry. Too uncomfortable. I have various holsters. Ankle, chest band, boot, inside waistband, and magnetic in the truck for my .40. Only if i have to go through a detector, or wanding, which is rare, will I remove and put it in the safe in my truck. I ignore private business signs. After all, that's why they call it concealed.

Ditto. It's in my cargo pocket right now, and a .45 is on my hip as I'm leaving for my granddaughters birthday party.
Cargo pocket is a force multiplyer. I can carry a mid size in the G19 range in some of my cargo pockets. This is my EDC Cargo Pocket Holster for my Max9.

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_184447654.jpg
    IMG_20230419_184447654.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 37

old 41

Bearcat
In a jeans back pocket or in a ankle holster a LCP hard to beat. you forget it's there
Mine has a serial number less than 50 after the improvement in 2008 maybe 100 rounds fired and never a hiccup.
The wife has the Kel-Tec P3AT Ruger copied and it's ran perfect too

Last edited:
I had an LCP years ago and at first thought it was the perfect tiny pocket gun for everyday carry. But at the range I could barely hit a target at even 5 yards and the snappiness of that gun made me hate to ever practice with it. I ended up selling it and making the LC9s my everyday carry. That gun is almost as small as the LCP, has never failed to fire when the trigger is pulled, has a bit more capacity than the LCP and I prefer the 9mm round to the 380 round. And for whatever reason I can fire the LC9s a lot more accurately than I ever could the LCP.

I'll add that sometimes when I am unexpectedly leaving the house to run an errand or other reason, I just grad my S&W 642 in a Desantis pocket holster and put it in my jeans front right pocket. Its only 5 rounds, but I still feel pretty comfortable having this for close distance self defense.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Depends upon how deep your pockets are...
After all, it's only money. View attachment 33036
The "before" pic -1915 Colt New Service .455 Eley. 250-grain Speer Deep Curl, 4 grains of Bullseye, 650 fps, expanded to .72 caliber despite a "too large" 0.009" barrel-cylinder gap. Expanded bullet stopped in the 4th gallon water jug.

The "after" pic. Rebuilt by Sandy Garrett of Northern VA Gun Works. Fitted 3-1/2" Douglas barrel. Fabricated and silver soldered new front sight. Targeted for point of aim to equal point of impact at 15 yards. Barrel gap set to 0.006", end shake corrected, timing adjusted, action job. Matte blue.

View attachment 33037
Although definitely NOT a pocket pistol, I always liked the 1917 S & W with 45AR for holster carry!

I pocket carry a LCP Max after I put 200 rounds of hardball through it and and a box of Hornady Critical Defense to ensure reliability. Not a single malfunction and no rust. A LCR 327 also rides along in various locations, sometimes pocket, sometimes belt, when there is not a Shield 45 hanging there. But the Max is so danged convenient that it gets carried whenever I have pants on.