Shot shell

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
We have young man in our community that has acquired an interest in the 4H program in trap and skeet shooting. It is my understanding that they shoot 12ga, 1oz, 7&1/2 loads only. He doesn't have a good ammo source and I have no idea of where to look, it's been years since I purchased any shot shells, other than my turkey loads from the local gun shop. Might some one give me so ideas as to who and where the best prices on cases can be found. His Dad and Mom are not really gun people at all, and have no problem with what he is doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
If he's part of an established 4-H club,,, they can qualify for a FoNRA grant for ammo for the shooting team. To get him AND his team some ammo & even clay birds,, the team captain needs to get in touch with the FoNRA Field Rep in his area. Then apply for a grant for the program.
TELL HIM TO BE REALISTIC in his grant application. (Keep it under $3000.00) Make sure he lists his PRIORITY items FIRST! And do not look at the grant application "store" as a Christmas "wish list." I think they open the grant application process in July or August. It's done on-line and they will need their 501-C3 paperwork.
In general, most grant applications that are between $1000-$3000 get most of what they ask for.

If their team captain needs any help in this,, they can contact me or Miss Penny. We can assist in helping him understand the process.
Sadly,, this will not help until this fall. All the State Grant Fund Committees have already had their 2023 grants reviewed & done.
I serve on the State (NC) Grant Fund Committee, as does Miss Penny.

But to help him along until then,, as noted,, cheap wally world shotgun ammo is about the best place to get started.

Last edited:

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
If he's part of an established 4-H club,,, they can qualify for a FoNRA grant for ammo for the shooting team. To get him AND his team some ammo & even clay birds,, the team captain needs to get in touch with the FoNRA Field Rep in his area. Then apply for a grant for the program.
TELL HIM TO BE REALISTIC in his grant application. (Keep it under $3000.00) Make sure he lists his PRIORITY items FIRST! And do not look at the grant application "store" as a Christmas "wish list." I think they open the grant application process in July or August. It's done on-line and they will need their 501-C3 paperwork.
In general, most grant applications that are between $1000-$3000 get most of what they ask for.

If their team captain needs any help in this,, they can contact me or Miss Penny. We can assist in helping him understand the process.
Sadly,, this will not help until this fall. All the State Grant Fund Committees have already had their 2023 grants reviewed & done.
I serve on the State (NC) Grant Fund Committee, as does Miss Penny.

But to help him along until then,, as noted,, cheap wally world shotgun ammo is about the best place to get started.

Thank you Sir. I'll pass that info along.

Jim

Butterfield

Bearcat
HI Jim,

If you happen to have a Dunham's by you. They usually have some good sales on shotgun shells.
By the flat/case.

Academy sports and outdoors is another place to look. And also Roger's sporting goods.

These are usually about the cheapest and best places to look. (nothing much cheap anymore)
Randy

Yoter

Bearcat
Winchester AA X-tra Light Target Load Shotshells hav e 1 oz 7 1/2 shot. Available at Cabelas, Bas Pro and many other locations.

jn 41

Single-Sixer
It is hard to beat the price of factory target loads these days. Shotgun reloading components are expensive these days. Ask the shotgun shooters at the local club. Those folks know where to get good prices