Salt Shot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A little advice regarding spread? The mfrs. all recommend 20 yard minimum for these shells, yet this doesn't seem right for salt which is even lighter than birdshot. I received some factory salt shells for Christmas and would possibly use them for non-lethal self-defense / house security. I have yet to try them. I also have concerns in regard to barrel damage and am considering and older weapon for their use. Having had first hand experience as a youngster I know they are a stopper, but I never saw how far behind me the shooter was.

Your opinions on minimum range for 20 gauge salt shot would be greatly appreciated.

I was not aware of this type of ammo but I wouldn't recommend it for ANY use.
1: It's absolutely guaranteed to damage the gun barrel unless a thorough hot water wash is done immediately.
2: The often told stories about using 'rock salt' as non-lethal deterrent are mostly BS.
3: Hitting a person in the face will most likely cause eye damage resulting in maybe a bigger lawsuit than using buckshot.
4: The idea that this ammo is 'less lethal' could encourage someone to shoot in a truly no-shoot scenario.
5: If there's a real need for 'non-lethal' use, get the far more acceptable rubber buckshot and aim below the waist.
Just my opinion.

Johnnu2

Hunter
A little advice regarding spread? The mfrs. all recommend 20 yard minimum for these shells, yet this doesn't seem right for salt which is even lighter than birdshot. I received some factory salt shells for Christmas and would possibly use them for non-lethal self-defense / house security. I have yet to try them. I also have concerns in regard to barrel damage and am considering and older weapon for their use. Having had first hand experience as a youngster I know they are a stopper, but I never saw how far behind me the shooter was.

Your opinions on minimum range for 20 gauge salt shot would be greatly appreciated.
In NJ or NY, you are most likely going to jail for shooting a bad guy/gal (yes, even in YOUR own home). So, I'd commend buck shot and make it worthwhile.
p.s. NY has a "mandatory retreat" requirement....guessing NJ does to (?)
IMHO,
J.