Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
The only problem with the lcr is it doesn't hold up near as long with 357mag loads (compared to the sp101). I thought about getting using 38 special rounds, but they are less effective than 9mm and I go from 15 rounds down to 5 or 6. I can handle the smaller round count with full house 357 mag loads. That is why I went with the sp101, rather than the lxr.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The SP101 is kind of an in-betweener , it's basically a mini GP100 and it will stand up to any amount of shooting but the cost of this is a relatively large, heavy snub vs a S&W J-frame,

The sticky holster is a good idea, I like the concept of not having to fool with a clip.

From a purely practical standpoint, small autos like the Glock 26 have been around for 20+ years, probably over 30, and Glock pretty much has them down at this point. 10+1 of hot 9mm +P defensive ammo in a small, light, flatter pistol vs a heavy, steel 5-shot .357 is a pretty good trade off. The small 9mms are more reliable and although I still follow the old "5 for sure" rule with carrying a revolver, I am starting to finally almost trust some of my auto chuckers for carry.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
The SP101 is kind of an in-betweener , it's basically a mini GP100 and it will stand up to any amount of shooting but the cost of this is a relatively large, heavy snub vs a S&W J-frame,

The sticky holster is a good idea, I like the concept of not having to fool with a clip.

From a purely practical standpoint, small autos like the Glock 26 have been around for 20+ years, probably over 30, and Glock pretty much has them down at this point. 10+1 of hot 9mm +P defensive ammo in a small, light, flatter pistol vs a heavy, steel 5-shot .357 is a pretty good trade off. The small 9mms are more reliable and although I still follow the old "5 for sure" rule with carrying a revolver, I am starting to finally almost trust some of my auto chuckers for carry.
I agree 100%, however if you read reliability reports on small smith j frame revolvers they shoot out relatively quickly using 357 magnum loads. The sp101 will last a lifetime, or more, firing all types of 357 magnum over-the-counter ammunition.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I want 6 shots, 3" barrel, .38+P chambering (if not .357), 1.4" diameter cylinder (smallest practical for 6 .38s), hi-viz fixed sights (preferably with tritium front), trigger reach no longer than a Smith K, .312" wide smooth trigger, weight somewhere between 24 and 32 ounces.

Colt, Rossi and Taurus are all now making revolvers that would be a suitable framework.

JParker47

Bearcat
You lose me at 9mm for a revolver and the need for a light/optic on it.
Hopefully we ae not going to get involved in gang warfare where we will need any more firepower then a sharpened #2 pencil that officer Casy instructed our children on how to use in middle school. Let's not put ourselves in harm's way kiddos. but , I am a former Boy Scout, always be prepared for the worst. (bring your first aid kit) HA

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Today's carry piece, as my " to and from work" gun, my 3" GP100 that I just put Hogue Pau Ferro grips on

In an old Hunter "springer" holster made for a 4", the 3" GP sits nice and low in the holster, Allowing me to easily draw while sitting.

Not pictured is a Boston Leather 2x2x2 pouch that rides on my belt for an easy on and off reload

I can still cover it with a size Large Tall shirt in case I stop somewhere.

I like having 6 .357s on board with 6 more in reserve for driving an hour each way to work, because if things get weird on the
road, or side of the road, who knows, I like having some anti-materiel abilities :) I encounter a lot of aggressive drivers who are in a hurry or maybe drunk, so I'd rather be able to put a hot 180 grainer through a radiator or engine block and explain myself in court as a living being than to be a Corpse in a crumbled wreck because a methed out trucker chose violence and I only had a .38 snub on me.
20230624_135154.jpg

20230624_135211.jpg

Hebraist

Bearcat
Funny you mention this---I just finished reading a thread on S&W about how great the Mark line of pistols are. The Original poster really gave them high scores and this was followed by lots more.

If not OK to post the link, please delete it. http://smith-wessonforum.com/firear...03074-ruger-mark-4-target-pistol-opinion.html

As to the S&W carry guns---somehow the Ruger LCR is just ugly to me. The J-frames are a pretty tough act too follow.
Yes, the LCR has no soul. But I can't afford a S&W in .327. So I will soon close my eyes and put down the Benjamins.

Hankus

Blackhawk
S&W 637...I don't give a rats ass if I kill the scumbag, I just want it to cease and desist. shoo fly don't bother me
My "EDC" for many years was an M16A2, and I kept a Taurus PT99 in my go-bag. I'm 6'1" and 210 pounds so the extra few ounces of weight don't mean much to me. As this thread is about "the perfect carry revolver " I posted about the revolver in my carry rotation. Otherwise, I prefer to carry one of my .45ACP pistols. Being a good Boy Scout I almost always carry a backup, usually my LCP because it's easy to drop it into my cargo pocket.

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
They still make those things ??

I had one probably 12-13 years ago, I loved the size of it but it had a hugely heavy DA pull and just wasn't very shootable. I'd probably try another one if the price was right

The S&W Forum may be different now, but I recall it being so S&W specific that people got angry at the mention of any other guns but we're going back a few years

I don't like the looks of the LCR, I won't buy one. Ruger peaked at the SP101 as far as the snubbies. Bill wasn't a huge fan of "carry" guns and he said as long as he was alive Ruger would never make compact automatic pistols. I'd assume he also wasn't a fan of Airweight-type snubs either.

The SP101 always struck me as kind of a "not quite a compact but not a full size" revolver, it's an in betweener that can be carried easily but isn't really a pocket gun like a J-frame. Which is why I like them, they're a snubby that is also very shootable.
SP101 DAO in .357 in a Galco Scout IWB holster along with its usual companions.
Nice carry package

To be honest I don't know the perfect carry revolver. I can say I got various carry revolver's just in case. I carried a 642 for a long time because it seemed to be the right size.
Then I came across an LCR and the trigger was so much nicer.
But the Ruger SP 101 3" is such a nice strong well balanced gun, that could be the best.
Except my 2-3/4" Speed Six gives you an extra round and it points so well.
But you can't throw out the Charter Arms 44 Bulldog. Just the hole in the Barrel means you may not need to shoot, I could go on but it's hard to narrow down THE perfect carry revolver.

I forgot to mention my detective Special is a pretty handy carry revolver and one of my favorites. When I go to town I usually carry something more substantial in terms of the quantity of rounds.

If I'm just I'm just in the woods, the park or taking my dog for a walk it's tough to beat the SP101, frankly my favorite smaller revolver. They are tough to beat.

Last edited:

Neezer

Bearcat
Not saying I'm right or wrong, but as an every day carry.......i 100% prefer there LCR In 327. As a medium size guy it just works for me. I feel so strong about it that if I had to get down to just 2 guns in my life........it would b one of them

BearBiologist

Hunter
I'm pretty much sticking with Glocks (modified G27 and G29SF). I did carry revolvers for a while. I liked the "humpback whales" pretty well but my favorites were 2.5" Python (shot one but never owned one), snubby Model 19 S & W and an older Detective Special. I did love my 4" Pythons and NO, they are not fragile if you take care of them!

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I've been around Glocks in one way or another my entire adult working life.

We carried Glock 22 .40's when I was a nuke plant guard, the magazine stayed loaded 99% of the time , except range qual day and the mag were kept loaded for years. They always worked , I never saw a bad Glock mag. They were only cleaned once per year too. I always shot a Perfect score, they are just so easy to shoot well with , for me anyway. We got a small bonus for shooting Expert and I always, every year, got it.

The Iraqi police carried Glock 19's that NATO bought for them, and they pretty much did 0 cleaning with them. They would turn them in at the Gate of our FOB when they went in and they were caked with brown , dried dust. And they still worked when they used them to shoot feral dogs. That sold me on Glock

I own a few, and a 26 is on my "needs" list. I would have had one already but I bought the 42 instead. A 26 is just a solid, no frills self-protection gun that I can trust my families life to and not be outgunned by a methhead with a Hi Point.

They're the most common handgun on Earth probably, everyone uses them. There will never not be parts or service available for a Glock as long as we are a free nation where you can still buy them. And you can just go into any gun shop and buy one. I don't even particularly "like" them but they are reliable and it's honestly smart to own at least something like a Glock 17 because you know you can grab it and it will work. I didn't clean my 42 for over 3 years, including the 1 it sat locked in my car's console and I just recently took it and fired it. No problems.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
My S&W 36 no dash. Made and bought in 1969. Nickel plated from the factory. Been carrying everyday for over 30 years myself. Grandpa carried it before me from new. Still looks new and handles the limited +p and lots of standard we have put through it and still tight. They don't build them like that now.

That said, if I am going into a bad area, it's the Delta Elite or the Caspian DS both in 10mm