Perfect carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like Simple, and Simple is Better for me

The perfect "carry" revolver already exists for me, it's my 80's production S&W Model 60. It's small, light and 5 rounds of .38 +P is plenty. It's not the perfect "shooting" revolver but for carry, it's perfect. I can carry it in sweatpants and an IWB holster.

The S&W Terrier is a close 2nd, in .38 S&W. It's just an even more packable snubby but you would need to use the Buffalo Bore 38-200 to get any real stopping power.
Mine is a bit older, mid-1960s, S&W Model 36 Chief's Special, I carried it as a backup for my issued M1911 (Ol' Rattletrap) in the RVN. I still have it along with the bill of sale for $70. Today I daily carry a SIG 9mm except when in the field (hiking, biking, camping) then it's a SS Ruger SP101 .357 in chest holster.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
You lose me at 9mm for a revolver and the need for a light/optic on it.
If one has ever fired a qualification course with a 5 shot revolver, then one can appreciate the 9mm and a 3" barrel. Reloading is fast and the sight radius efficient.

Attachments

• 20201115_101842.jpg
    20201115_101842.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20201115_101811.jpg
    20201115_101811.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201115_101913.jpg
    20201115_101913.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 68

Rat76

Single-Sixer
When I decided to start carrying a revolver, I went with a Taurus 731, 32 HR Mag Ultra-lite.

1686925937302.png

Same size & weight as a S&W Airweight but 6 rounds & minimal recoil. It came with the S&W light hammer & trigger springs. I put the factory hammer spring back in it.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I love how non-Ruger centric and open minded this forum is, we can discuss any brand of gun.

It's been a while since I've been there but in years past The S&W Forum didn't allow any talk of other brands and Rugers were referred to as "the R guns" like they weren't even worthy of mention. Rampant Kool Aid drinking is a huge turn off for a gun forum

I love how non-Ruger centric and open minded this forum is, we can discuss any brand of gun.

It's been a while since I've been there but in years past The S&W Forum didn't allow any talk of other brands and Rugers were referred to as "the R guns" like they weren't even worthy of mention. Rampant Kool Aid drinking is a huge turn off for a gun forum
Funny you mention this---I just finished reading a thread on S&W about how great the Mark line of pistols are. The Original poster really gave them high scores and this was followed by lots more.

If not OK to post the link, please delete it. http://smith-wessonforum.com/firear...03074-ruger-mark-4-target-pistol-opinion.html

As to the S&W carry guns---somehow the Ruger LCR is just ugly to me. The J-frames are a pretty tough act too follow.

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I got the chance to fire a Taurus 380 revolver last week. nice, really small, cute little thing. I had some Buffalo Bore 90 gr +P JHP in my bag, so we loaded them up.
Now, I NEED one of those!
They still make those things ??

I had one probably 12-13 years ago, I loved the size of it but it had a hugely heavy DA pull and just wasn't very shootable. I'd probably try another one if the price was right
Funny you mention this---I just finished reading a thread on S&W about how great the Mark line of pistols are. The Original poster really gave them high scores and this was followed by lots more.

If not OK to post the link, please delete it. http://smith-wessonforum.com/firear...03074-ruger-mark-4-target-pistol-opinion.html

As to the S&W carry guns---somehow the Ruger LCR is just ugly to me. The J-frames are a pretty tough act too follow.
The S&W Forum may be different now, but I recall it being so S&W specific that people got angry at the mention of any other guns but we're going back a few years

I don't like the looks of the LCR, I won't buy one. Ruger peaked at the SP101 as far as the snubbies. Bill wasn't a huge fan of "carry" guns and he said as long as he was alive Ruger would never make compact automatic pistols. I'd assume he also wasn't a fan of Airweight-type snubs either.

The SP101 always struck me as kind of a "not quite a compact but not a full size" revolver, it's an in betweener that can be carried easily but isn't really a pocket gun like a J-frame. Which is why I like them, they're a snubby that is also very shootable.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If one has ever fired a qualification course with a 5 shot revolver, then one can appreciate the 9mm and a 3" barrel. Reloading is fast and the sight radius efficient.
I just ordered a 9mm SP101 from Davidson's but it's the standard 2.25"

I'm glad I moved on it, there was 26 left 3 days ago and now only 4

With things being the way they are, who knows how long it will take for Ruger to make another batch