New Ruger Redhawk shoots both .45 Colt and ACP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
This is 110% on my radar. And why I try to save my mad money. But at the same time I do not hold my breath.

Ruger has so many irons in the fire, they can't keep up with production now on most of there saut after guns, QC for the most part is marginal.

How long will it take Ruger to get the first batch out for us to purchase? Only to find out the few they do release will be over priced because the supply will be minimal.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I'm not certain, of course, but I doubt that one can use 45 Auto rims. If Ruger copied S&W, the cylinder still head spaces on the 45 Colt rim and they cut a recess into the extractor and cylinder to allow for the moon clips to seat with 45 ACP in them as S&W did on the Governor. Until we get one in hand, it's anybody's guess. As far a best bear load, I'd rather start with some stout, heavy bullet Colt loads and then one would not have to reload at all. Some acp's in moon clips would be a good back up plan, though!! Naturally, I bought a 4.2" 45 Colt last year and jumped the gun. I have a S&W M22 for moon clips and a Sig P227 if I need to unleash many 45s in a hurry. Bob!! :D

jsh

Single-Sixer
So what does one expect in accuracy with a combo chamber? Just asking.
If it was in 45acp or 45 colt I would be on the acp like a duck on a June bug.
My 625 JM has caused me enough grief getting it to shoot. If the red hawk was acp only I would dive right in and not look back at the 625.
Jeff

Heywatchthis

Bearcat
I don't get it.
With just the one cylinder, that 45acp bullet has a way to go before it gets to the chamber throat.
With full moon clips I could shoot acp in the 45 Colt I already have I guess.
Except for the grip, which could be interesting with full power 45 Colt loads, it's like any other 4.2 Redhawk 45 Colt.
What am I missing?

Heywatchthis

Bearcat
rangerbob said:
I'm not certain, of course, but I doubt that one can use 45 Auto rims. If Ruger copied S&W, the cylinder still head spaces on the 45 Colt rim and they cut a recess into the extractor and cylinder to allow for the moon clips to seat with 45 ACP in them as S&W did on the Governor. Until we get one in hand, it's anybody's guess. As far a best bear load, I'd rather start with some stout, heavy bullet Colt loads and then one would not have to reload at all. Some acp's in moon clips would be a good back up plan, though!! Naturally, I bought a 4.2" 45 Colt last year and jumped the gun. I have a S&W M22 for moon clips and a Sig P227 if I need to unleash many 45s in a hurry. Bob!! :D

rangerbob had already answered my previous questions.
There's no way an Autorim will fit, so the cylinder must be recessed acordingly to accomodate a moon clip. :?:
Still a long way to go before the acp bullet hits the throat.

Oh man oh man oh man!
I've been waiting for one of these - but with all of our house renovations and that price tag I may have to wait some more.
Or, sniff,- trade my 45 BHawk convertible in toward this RedHawk, just when I got it the BHawk I wanted it. Noooooooooooo!

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
"With full moon clips I could shoot acp in the 45 Colt I already have I guess."

Only if the cylinder has been cut for the full moon clips. Otherwise, there wouldn't be enough headspace.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Neat gun for the .45 and moon clip fans.

I'll hold out for the .44.

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm curious if anybody sees a reason to buy the standard .45 colt only Redhawk. It has the same barrel length, the grips seem to be the only difference. I would have liked to see the new model in a shorter barrel, sort of an Alaskan version, on the standard frame of course.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Is the grip shape on this the same as the old original wood grips? Looks a tiny bit different but am thinking it's just the checkering pattern that is different. Yes?

k22fan

Blackhawk
As has been alluded to creating a long bullet jump from the case mouth to the chamber throat is the opposite of what you would do if you were building a revolver for best accuracy. Most of today's matches do not focus on accuracy but we old geezers remember long range silhouette and lazy days at the range spent comparing group size rather than speed out of a holster. Real Elmer Keith SWC molds had a wide front driving band in front of the crimp groove to align the bullet in the throat before firing. Regardless of nose shape a light press fit into the throat ordinarily gives best accuracy.

Of course few new shooters give a hoot. I'm betting popular demand will cause the new .45acp & .45 Colt RH to supersede the .45 Colt only RH in Ruger's catalog. I guess I'm the odd man out. I just put the older style on lay-a-way.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I just looked at a Redhawk in .454 / 45 Colt . . . Glad I waited. Been wanting a DA 45 Colt for a long time.

And Yes thank you for putting a real sight on this one!!!

black029

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
Is the grip shape on this the same as the old original wood grips? Looks a tiny bit different but am thinking it's just the checkering pattern that is different. Yes?

This is Ruger's version of the " service model round butt" :)
Hey, if nothing else it shaved 2 ounces off.

rangerbob

Buckeye
FYI, the dealer cost on the Ruger 45/45 is just a tad under $700, which means one should be able to get for under$800. Lipsey's has them listed, but none in stock(surprise)!. Hopefully, they will use the standard S&W(1917) size moon clip which are readily available. Bob!! 8)

6gun

Hunter
I love the gun, notice the lack of a big ugly rubber grip and now has a real grip frame with steel back strap once again and two piece wood grips, :D that's what I like best about this gun, I'll forget that ACP crap in a revolver, that's not for me, I want mine in 44 mag.

Latest posts