New Ruger Redhawk shoots both .45 Colt and ACP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
dacota1911 , They use a special full moon clip that is stainless,quite thin and able to be loaded easily with the bare fingers. No other moon clip will fit, I am told. The moon clips are rather expensive at $15 for 3 from Ruger. It comes with three and I bought nine more from ShopRuger.com .

DPris

Buckeye
The reason for the difference between Ruger & Smith clips is that they meet different system requirements.

Smith (and older Colt) .45 ACP revolvers use dedicated .45 ACP chambers that shoot only short .45 ACP or .45 Auto Rim.
That lets S&W mill the rear end of the cylinder flat, for use with clips or thicker-rimmed Auto Rim brass.

Since the Ruger has to fire two very different calibers, they can't mill the back end of the cylinder totally flat.
The .45 Colt rim would be too thin to headspace properly.

Ruger's approach is to mill out most of the back end, leaving a raised ring, or shoulder, around the outside circumference, to support about 20% of the .45 Colt rim.
That means their ACP clips have to fit INSIDE the ring and below its surface, unlike the Smith clips that aren't subject to the same space restrictions.
Denis

tinman

Buckeye
I received mine yesterday. Test brass dated 4-30-15. Solid rear sight pin.
I was about to buy a 45/45 BH when someone told me this was fixin to be released.
DA/SS/multi caliber, by all appearances this is gonna make a great field gun......glad I waited.
Looking forward to its first range day.

Oh, and to those that would like to see this gun with a shorter barrel. It was reported that Ruger went with this bbl length so it could also be sold in Canada.

Purchased from KyGunCo for $758.99
http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-redhawk-45acp45colt-revolver-42in-satin-stainless-6-round-hardwood-grip-94467?utm_source=KyGunCo%20Marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=July%204th%20Sale

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I shot mine again today using 250 gr. XTP 's over mid range Ruger only loads of IMR 4227 and 2400. Although I did not chrono these loads, they run in the 1,050 to 1100fps range and are just about all
I care to shoot in the 4" gun. All load data taken from the Hornady load manual.
The heavier 2400 loads are much louder than my 4" .44 mag with mid range 300 gr. XTP's running a little over 1000 fps.
All in all I am pleased with this new shooter.
The next one will be the Toklat,if I can find one.

DPris

Buckeye
If interested, the Kindle eBook's now live on Amazon.com.
Results of testing with 17 commercial loads through two convertible Redhawk samples; accuracy, velocity, energy figures, discussion of the ACP side through .45 Colt chambers, discussion of grips, 27 color photos, etc.

If you want to know the new model, this can help.
Denis

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
swmetal said:
PotatoJudge said:
Cut for moon clips I assume?

Yep, found this statement - the revolver ships with three full moon clips that act as both a speedloader for the .45 Auto rounds and aid in the ejection of the spent cartridges.
Why not just use .45Auto Rim? They are not hard to find. I have several thousand in my Wolf Den! :twisted: No, they are not going anywhere! :lol:

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Colonel Daddy said:
swmetal said:
PotatoJudge said:
Cut for moon clips I assume?

Yep, found this statement - the revolver ships with three full moon clips that act as both a speedloader for the .45 Auto rounds and aid in the ejection of the spent cartridges.
Why not just use .45Auto Rim? They are not hard to find. I have several thousand in my Wolf Den! :twisted: No, they are not going anywhere! :lol:

AR won't fit in the Redhawk

DPris

Buckeye
This model uses ONLY Ruger clips & there is no room for Auto Rim clearance.
Denis

modrifle3

Buckeye
Any pistol that will chamber 45 colt should chamber auto rim ....what makes this one different.

DPris

Buckeye
The way the Ruger cylinder's cut at the back.
As above- there's just no room for the Auto Rim's rim.

If you really want to know strongly enough, I'll again refer you to that Kindle book.
Explains clearly & illustrates the difference between the Ruger cylinder & a representative Smith ACP cylinder.
Denis