New Ruger Redhawk shoots both .45 Colt and ACP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6gun

Hunter
TitanX said:
Ruger, Smith & Wesson and a few others are increasingly pricing a huge segment of consumers out of the market for new guns.

Yes I agree I never could afford a S&W or a Colt that why I have always bought Rugers, problem I see with this gun is price, Ruger is starting to give into greed instead of sticking with what made their company great, a good quality gun at a good price, they will end up like Colt in bankruptcy if they stay this course pricing us loyal buyers out of the market.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Joe has a good review on the 45 Ruger at RealGuns.Com and makes some interesting points. Photos are included that show the moon clip cut out system. Bob! :)

Groo

Bearcat
9x19 said:
I'd guess you could also use .45 Auto Rim brass without the moon clips... or just make light .45 Colt loads. :D

Thanks goodness they didn't put a Novak rear on it!
Groo here
The Redhawk 45lc/45acp will not take 45ar brass .
It works like the S&W governor , there is a ridge around the outside of the cylinder to catch the 45lc rim
the moonclips are cut to run inside this rim.
You could run 45 cowboy, a 45colt rim and case that is cut to 45acp length and volume.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
Another Option:For those of you looking at the "auto-rim" as an alternative. I have been using the .45 Schofield case in my Blackhawks for Cowboy loads. They eject more easily because they don't need to travel as far to the rear to be clear of the cylinder and I can fit more of them in the magazine tube of my rifle. I also have used them to differentiate lighter loads while assembling my hotter "hunting" loads in the .45LC cases. I believe the Schofield cases will work in the Redhawk with no modification as they share the same rim as the colt case (essentially) unlike the thicker "auto-rim" case. Just an idea.
Justice B. Swift (AKA Just B.S.)

6gun

Hunter
Justice B. Swift said:
Another Option:For those of you looking at the "auto-rim" as an alternative. I have been using the .45 Schofield case in my Blackhawks for Cowboy loads. They eject more easily because they don't need to travel as far to the rear to be clear of the cylinder and I can fit more of them in the magazine tube of my rifle. I also have used them to differentiate lighter loads while assembling my hotter "hunting" loads in the .45LC cases. I believe the Schofield cases will work in the Redhawk with no modification as they share the same rim as the colt case (essentially) unlike the thicker "auto-rim" case. Just an idea.
Justice B. Swift (AKA Just B.S.)

If you want to shot auto rim 45 just buy a 1911 and be done with it, forget all the conversion crap to make a round fit in a gun that wasn't designed to use it. :wink:

k22fan

Blackhawk
If you want to shot auto rim 45 just buy a 1911 and be done with it, forget all the conversion crap to make a round fit in a gun that wasn't designed to use it. :wink:

The .45 Auto Rim was designed shortly after WW I so that civilians did not have to mess with half moon clips in the numerous GI surplus Colt and S&W 1917 revolvers. Its rim is thick enough to fill in the space normally occupied by moon clips in those revolvers. .45 Auto Rim has the thickest rim that I am aware of. That's why the head spacing ledge around the outside of Ruger's new revolver blocks .45 Auto Rim from seating fully.

As far a moon clipped revolvers being so much crap goes, no other revolvers are competitive against them in most modern matches and .45 ACP revolvers reload faster than any of the others. There are lots of guns that I do not want to spend my money on or time with. However, they do not have to appeal to me to be other shooters' favorites. I will not try to get you to love the .45 Auto Rim cartridge but I'm still trying to convince the Pope that it is God's cartridge. Just in case that takes a while don't hold your breath waiting for a pronouncement from the Vatican.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I intended to post a similar reply yesterday, but ran out of time at work. I have a 45 Colt Redhawk and loaded 45 S&W(Schofield) ammo at home. I have no reason to think it won't work. I'll investigate and report. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just watched an excellent review on GunBlast.com with Jeff Quinn. He specifically addresses the auto rim issue. Bob!! 8)

COLT_45

Single-Sixer
Don't care for the new round grip as it's a knuckle buster and even more difficult to control than the "wood" regular square butt. It's nice that they thought ahead and coupled up the .45 Colt and ACP though, but I prefer the Redhawk in .44 mag and/or .44 special and keep the .45 Colts in the single actions rather than trying to turn a Redhawk into a cowboy gun with wood grips. The stock "rubber" grips on the Redhawk are much better for it's intended use as well.

Simple Rule of thumb:

.44 Mag for the Ruger Redhawk
.45 Colt for the Ruger Single Actions
.45 ACP get a Ruger SR1911 Model

DPris

Buckeye
I've been bugging Ruger for over a year to make a lightened version of the Red in .45 Colt for those who want a sturdy DA, but don't want to always be shooting nuclear-level loads.
For standard vel loads, the regular Red's way overbuilt & heavy.

This is not entirely what I wanted, but between it & the Kodiak, Ruger's giving us a great durable DA revolver with its easy reloading, in lighter and/or more compact form, for various uses where Buffalo Bore & CorBons are neither needed nor wanted.

There was a lotta room for expansion in the Redhawk pattern, and Ruger's taking advantage of it.

I don't see Ruger trying to turn the Redhawk into a "cowboy" gun in any way whatever with this new convertible.
Chambering something for the .45 Colt in no way makes it into a cowboy gun. :)
Neither does a set of wood grips.
The stock rubbers are big & bulky, the new roundbutt convertible is a bit more of a carry gun for some shooters in some contexts.

I have a Tyler T-Grip on my Kodiak to increase inside grip girth, it can also be used on the convertible, if you need more to hang onto.

This, and the Kodiak, gives us more options in the Redhawk, and I'm glad to see Ruger doing both.

If neither creates any interest for you, go with one of the other versions. :)
Denis

ElToro

Single-Sixer
Not legal in California.. Yet.

There have been gunsmiths doing the conversion and cutting for moon clips for a while but it's nice to see it in a Factory offering. I think it's a pretty good idea for a guy that has a 45 auto or 8 and a ton of ammo and doesn't reload. (Like me!) Factory 45Acp is a lot cheaper and plentiful than 45c. And if he goes hunting or needs a camping side arm can load it with buffalo bore or double tap. (Like me again!)

MaxP

Buckeye
COLT_45 said:
Don't care for the new round grip as it's a knuckle buster and even more difficult to control than the "wood" regular square butt. It's nice that they thought ahead and coupled up the .45 Colt and ACP though, but I prefer the Redhawk in .44 mag and/or .44 special and keep the .45 Colts in the single actions rather than trying to turn a Redhawk into a cowboy gun with wood grips. The stock "rubber" grips on the Redhawk are much better for it's intended use as well.

Simple Rule of thumb:

.44 Mag for the Ruger Redhawk
.45 Colt for the Ruger Single Actions
.45 ACP get a Ruger SR1911 Model

How is chambering the Redhawk in .45 Colt somehow turning it into a "cowboy gun?" The Redhawk in .45 Colt is a great configuration that can be loaded rather warmly. There is nothing "cowboy-like" about 30,000 psi .45 Colt loads.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I think a few of you are taking Colt_45's comments too seriously. I doubt he intended to make a pronouncement on what guns are best for anyone besides himself. He's just telling us what he likes, or that's how I read it.

DPris

Buckeye
Possibly. :)

Seeing all sorts of "Woulda been better with a 5-inch barrel" & "Woulda been better with a full lug" comments.

What's wrong with a lighter version?
What's wrong with a more compact version?

Toss a wide net, swing a wide loop, cover a wide range of the Redhawk's potential. :)

Some of us like the strength & durability, but without quite so much steel & bulk.
Denis

MaxP

Buckeye
k22fan said:
I think a few of you are taking Colt_45's comments too seriously. I doubt he intended to make a pronouncement on what guns are best for anyone besides himself. He's just telling us what he likes, or that's how I read it.

Not taking it seriously, just seeking clarification.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Just to stir the pot a bit more. My 4.2" Redhawk .45 I acquired last year will take .45 S&W(Schofield) rounds all day long. And if you clip up some .45 GAP rounds, they'll shoot in the current Redhawk as well as clipped 45ACP's. Next, while I'm not advocating to do this, I'm quite certain that if one clipped up some .45 Win Mag rounds, they would work as well. Without the clips, they enter the chambers too far. I have a T/C Contender in .45 Win Mag, so the ammo is lying around. I doubt if factory .45 Win Mag loads are any hotter that some of the Buffalo Bore, Grizzly, etc. rounds and having 12 or 18 in moon clips would make for a fast reload in the field. The manual that came with my Redhawk shows a 5.5" barrel in the parts listing. I'm going to see if Ruger could rebarrel mine and possible swap cylinders or machine mine to accept clips. Bob!! :mrgreen: