Lightweight base pin question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

06dilly

Single-Sixer
I've got an OMSS lightweight (tri) that I bought converted but it came with the original parts kit. I've installed the old parts, no problem. But then I realized the base pin in the old parts kit is a larger diameter and will not fit through the cylinder. It goes into the frame just fine but not into the cylinder. I test fit it directly and it's too large a diameter for the cylinder.

My question is, is it ok to use the converted base pin with the plunger on the end or will that bind or cause problems?

Thanks!
TomD

yessir, we've reused them over the years for many folks, grind off the pin, put a dab of J-B weld in the hole, you can even polish, round off the end, looks good and it works.
the pin/plunger is only for the transfer bar to keep away from the firing pin, to clear it.

Odd that a pin from the same gun before the safety update, does NOT fit in its cylinder, something got switched around.......:unsure:

06dilly

Single-Sixer
The more I think about it I have to think that maybe the old parts were picked up along the way by a prior owner. The other three old parts fit fine, just not the base pin.

If I leave the pin sticking out on the end of the base pin will it impede the action? The idea of grinding, even on newer parts… 😳

Last edited:

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I'll put it out there in the classifieds. I measured the two base pins. The conversion kit base pin (with the pin on the end) measures at 0.245" and fits the cylinder. The one that came as the Old Part measures at 0.249" and is too tight.

Many thanks!
TomD

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Hopefully I can find a period correct thinner one first but thanks for the idea. I've not been able to reblue well. 😳

In doing more digging, it seems that a type 1 base pin is the same for the SS, early Bearcat and early Blackhawk. Does anyone know if this is true or what else is compatible?

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Hopefully I can find a period correct thinner one first but thanks for the idea. I've not been able to reblue well. 😳

In doing more digging, it seems that a type 1 base pin is the same for the SS, early Bearcat and early Blackhawk. Does anyone know if this is true or what else is compatible?
Why Reblue It Is Lubed And Unseen In The Gun. Only Time You See It Is When You Pull It To Cleen. Mean Time You Can SHOOT Your Gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Only Time You See It Is When You Pull It To Cleen. Mean Time You Can SHOOT Your Gun."

Ok, the OP is trying to return the OM back to it's original condition. (See the part about re-installing to parts.) And part of his question was about the use of the pin that was part of the safety transfer bar conversion. That base pin has a tip that is used to push the transfer bar rearward when necessary. That pin won't work correctly with the OM parts.

If he takes the pin that came with the OM parts & turns it down, it'd work as necessary,, UNLESS it's too long.

But a rarer model like the Lightweights, deserve the correct parts.

Plus,, a base pin for a Single-Six is shorter than one for a Blackhawk.

The Lightweights do use the same early base pins,, as mentioned, a Type 1. Fortunately,, that same pin is used most often in the OM Single-Sixes.

Many folks do not shoot a Tri-Color Lightweight due to the fact the coating of the cylinder gets the coating chipped off. The OP may well desire to keep the gun & NOT shoot it.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Thanks Contender, you said it for me. I appreciate all the advice. It makes me think that I may have an opportunity to try some swapping with some of my flatgates. Hopefully there is one with a smaller diameter pin and a cylinder that's sloppy. Hmm, when I get back from this trip, I'll do some test fitting.

Meanwhile, I'll hold up hope for an original OM SS pin that one of the gunsmiths or collectors on here remember having in their parts bins.

....no, the old model, type one pins are not the same, the BH is about a 1/4 inch longer, then the RSS, both just at 1/4 inch diameter give or take a few thousands and the Bearcat is well under 3 inches long as well as a bit over 3/16inch diameter, no comparison....as getwood said above do the polishing to the pin, do NOT "open" up or polish the inside of the cylinder center hole, please.......... :rolleyes:
if you do not want to grind off the pin of the new model type ( plunger) then use a pair of snips and cut ( lop ) it off will not effect anything,,we just feel "neatness counts",, in the time it took to type up this reply we could have got the job done......:cool:;)

Attachments

• th_NMpins.jpg
    th_NMpins.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 25
  • th_Basepinsnear.jpg
    th_Basepinsnear.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 27
  • OM center pins BC-RSS-BH.JPG
    OM center pins BC-RSS-BH.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts