Lightweight .22 rifle recommendations.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I bought a .22 FIE "Bronco" rifle in the very early '70s. An all metal skeletonized single shot.
Handy and super light. Sold for about $ 15 dollars back then.
I gave that one to my son 15 or so years ago.

My lightest weight .22 these days is a Remington Nylon 66. Lighter than any of my 10/22s.
I saw several at a gun show this last weekend, they are around if you look.

"22 FIE "Bronco" rifle"

I remember those. I wanted one pretty bad back in the late sixties. Think the ones I drooled over were made o by Garcia. On rare occasions Dad and I would go down to Gart Brothers or Dave Cook's to look around. I would go directly to their gun counter to pick out things I would get if I had a magic lamp.

Dad finagled my grandpa's Stevens Buckhorn 66 for me one Christmas, instead. I still have that Stevens, plus 2 more I've run across over the years. They were not expensive or highly desired but seem to be accurate and reliable.

Last edited:
The OP ended up buying a Remington model 512P Sportsmaster at the bottom of page one.
Thank you, Iroc, for pointing this out. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but then it began to take on a life of it's own, ha. Never dreamed it would eclipse 100 responses....

Anyway, here are two more photos of the Remington 512P that I bought and, I might add, am very happy with. It gives me good accuracy but is 35% lighter than my big Winchester target rifles (models 52 and 75).

Thanks for participating........

Attachments

• IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3035.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 35

Iroc

Bearcat
I can see by your tailgate picture you're already out shooting it. What I noticed with my 24" barreled Marlin and CZ in how quiet they are with the sub sonic .22lr rounds. You got a good catch, nice looking gun.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I bought a .22 FIE "Bronco" rifle in the very early '70s. An all metal skeletonized single shot.
Handy and super light. Sold for about $ 15 dollars back then.
I gave that one to my son 15 or so years ago.

My lightest weight .22 these days is a Remington Nylon 66. Lighter than any of my 10/22s.
I saw several at a gun show this last weekend, they are around if you look.
Does anyone remember the Feather AT22? A buddy of mine bought one for his son and it was a good running little gun.

I had a very similar .22 carbine marked New Haven instead of Mossberg. It was a model 240c with an 18 inch barrel and a magazine that had an insert to fire .22 shorts. It came from the old W. T. Grant store and was a nice little carbine until it grew feet like a bunch of my other stuff. Someone ended up with a good rifle that was sold for drug money

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I've had a couple (still have one) and the wood, while not fabulous, has always been nice (Mine had walnut stocks

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Those Chucksters always appealed to me. Like the position of the bolt plus walnut. Nice gun and priced under $50 I noticed from the older Gun Digest book I had. Friend had the Mossberg 320 B if I am correct in 22 L.R. with peep sight. Nice trigger I remember.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
If you want a light 10/22 pattern rifle, check out Powder River Precision or Briely's offering. Pricy but really light, reliable and a reputation for accuracy.