Lightweight .22 rifle recommendations.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger 10-22 made from parts. The stock is an Altamont straight grip, the barrel is a 16.125" with fire sights and the trigger is a BX. The barrel has a threaded muzzle and I prick punched the protective collar in place so it doesn't come loose. I have not weighed it but it is easy to carry and points naturally. With the BX trigger it shoots like a dream. It cost a few bucks to make up but you won't find a nicer little carbine out there.
0710221456.jpg

What us the receiver made of? Pot metal or 6061, 7075 ?
The Henry receivers are made of Zamak. Not sure about the BL22. I read somewhere that the Henry lever .22's are an updated Ithaca model 72 saddle gun which was made in West Germany by Erma Werke. The Henry versions are nice and I have never had a problem with the ones that I have.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Just looked up Zamak. Got some aluminum and copper. More used to steel but look at all the shotguns today with aluminum receivers.

I've got a couple of the Henry's. I know the cover is made of Zamak, but I'm not sure on the actual mechanism. It's not steel, that's for sure. But-'the Henry action is as smooth as butter. I haven't put thousands of rounds through my .22LR, and only hundreds through the .22WMR. But there really isn't any sign of wear yet. I did upgrade the .22LR to a large loop lever because of my Sasquatch hands. I also put on fiber optic sights. They may not be the lightest but they sure are slim and trim- I wish Henry would come out with a takedown version!

The Henry receivers are made of Zamak. Not sure about the BL22. I read somewhere that the Henry lever .22's are an updated Ithaca model 72 saddle gun which was made in West Germany by Erma Werke. The Henry versions are nice and I have never had a problem with the ones that I have.
Thanx, I always wondered. I knew it wasn't steel.

Hankus

Blackhawk
All, I have been back through this thread and can't find specific mention of this. Are there any "full throw" lever action .22s currently available? I have realized I really want to add a new lever action .22 to my stable.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I'm a fan of the older Marlin 39M "Mountie" carbines. All steel, mostly anyway, and walnut. Not all that light though.
Older Winchester 9422 was a pretty decent lever action .22, not in the Marlin's class in my opinion.

All, I have been back through this thread and can't find specific mention of this. Are there any "full throw" lever action .22s currently available? I have realized I really want to add a new lever action .22 to my stable.
I think the Browning BL22 is the only short throw lever in the bunch. The Browning trigger travels with the lever in a 33 degree arc. The others have a longer throw and the trigger does not move with the lever. For the Henry you used to be able to get a piece that fit the lever to trip the trigger ala "The Rifleman"... It was made from plastic and slid onto the lever. The original concept as used by Chuck Connors was an 8-32 bolt and wing nut that could be moved to either allow the rifle to be used in the normal manner or be set to make it fire every time the lever was fully closed.

eveled

Hawkeye
As @Watertender said. Henry levers are full throw, and used Marlins 39's are around they are also full throw.

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
At the turn of the 20th century, the epitome of light weight .22 rifles was created. Behold Remington No. 6. This particular example was built in 1906 and has been my trapline and woods rifle for decades.

For those not familiar, it is a takedown single shot, swinging block action, exposed hammer rifle. It features fixed open sights and a flip up adjustable peep sight on the tang. The takedown mechanism is simple, sturdy and straight forward. One simply brings the hammer to full cock, open the swinging breach block, and unscrew the knurled bolt which vertically traverses the receiver and threads in to a threaded stub machined in to the bottom of the barrel. Remington also chambered this rifle in .32RF, as well as a smooth bore .22RF version which is rare as hens teeth. Later, there was the No. 6 Improved, which was a sign of the times during the depression era when nothing was really improved, but rather was cheapened to keep the price point and profits maintaining the status-quo. The receiver was slimmed down vertically and gone was the tang peep sight. Some or the late production No. 6 Improved's did however feature an adjustable rear sight. All in all, even the cheapened Improved version is arguable of better quality than any other boy's rifle of its time through present day.

20748EFD-0B37-483A-AFA0-1D7014E2E716.jpeg

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
When I got her I could not even see the rifling . She is now a shooter. It is now the 9 year olds Favorite gun. His great great great?grandpas gun. My dad learned to shoot with it. My dad learned to wing shoot with it. .22 shot shells. And his Rem 41 target master. If I can find it I will repost what I wrote about this.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Found it. Re post. ---
The other day I talked about taking my dads rem mod 41 to the range.This is a true story about that gun and how our country has changed.

This happened in the late 1930s when my dad was 10 or 11. At the time his father (my g-pa) was the stage manager at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in Pasadena Ca. You all have seen it on TV. It is the one that American Idol had used for Hollywood week and is NOT in Hollywood.It's about 1 block from the Rose Parade.

One day on summer break G-pa asked if he would like to go to work with him. Of course he said yes. G-pa then said "and bring your "good boy" gun".

When they got to work G-pa told him that they were having problems with bats in the rigging HIGH over the stage.He gave him a box of .22 shot shells and told him to climb up to the cat walks and spend the day shooting bats for him!

I have had some real cool summers but nothing like that!

Can you hear the S--T storm from the nanny state today if a kid with a gun was killing bats 90 feet over a stage with no harness or safety rail?

Fast forward a few years.Aug 8? 1945. He is a 20mm gunner on the carrier WASP CV18 off the coast of Japan.He put 30 rounds into a kamikaze coming down his bore for what is officially the last hostile shoot down of the war. This is why we teach our sons to shoot.

Latest posts