Lightweight .22 rifle recommendations.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jkingrph

Bearcat
I picked up my CZ 457 American with the walnut stock and 24" barrel last Monday. Nothing fancy but seems like a pretty nicely made gun.
I got a 457 Lux last week in .22mag. That European somewhat hogback stock fits me like a glove. I shoulder it and the sights line up perfectly. I just wish they had used a different finish, one that lets the grain of the wood show. I have a slightly older 527 American that has an absolutely beautiful stock, much lighter colored. The 457 is almost like it was painted over,

Iroc

Bearcat
I got a 457 Lux last week in .22mag. That European somewhat hogback stock fits me like a glove. I shoulder it and the sights line up perfectly. I just wish they had used a different finish, one that lets the grain of the wood show. I have a slightly older 527 American that has an absolutely beautiful stock, much lighter colored. The 457 is almost like it was painted over,
Yes you're correct, they just might as well have painted it brown on the one I own. I remember when I first saw this type of finishing on the backs and necks of guitars, the guitar company's said "it makes it sounds better, more airy and open without all that thick finish muting the natural voice of the guitar" but to be honest it's just cheaper to manufacture, no filling of the pores and a darker matted finish to hide the imperfections. It's like the dark walnut lacquer stain cabinet finish you'd see in track homes in the 1970's, cheep to apply, all done in one coat. I suppose mud is an acquired taste but if this one shows that it can shoot, it definitely has a refinish in its future.

IMG_8362.jpeg

Latest posts