lead 45LC w/Gas Checks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

krw

Blackhawk
who on this forum is experienced with using gas checks on lead bullets for 45LC loads? I have several OM Ruger 45's, S&W 25-5, and a Winchester 94AE in 45LC and would like to learn how to use lead bullets with gas checks. Any direction as for books, internet direction would be appreciated. Thanks! krw

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WHAT DO YOU MEAN..."...HOW TO USE..?"
The gascheck is fastened to the bottom of the correctly designed projectile by swaging and they load like every other pistol bullet in the history of sixguns. In fifty plus years of loading the 45COLT in several dozen guns I've never EVER seen the need for gaschecked lead alloy projectiles. There might be some need in screaming loads in that '94 carbine and I'd do a LOT of testing before I went to fooling with gascheck projectiles with that gun.
And so it goes...

454PB

Bearcat
I don't know that gas checks are "needed" on .45 Colt loads, but they certainly can be. I have several gas check design moulds, mainly purchased for use in my .454 Casulls. I have used these same boolits in "Ruger only" .45 Colt loads, and they work very well. As stated above, they are loaded the same way as a plain based lead or jacketed bullet. If you're asking how to cast a gas checked boolit or how to apply the gas check, it gets a little more involved. Here's where I hang out:

castboolits.gunloads.com

gster

Single-Sixer
I use gas checked 255 and 300gr cast in my 45 Colt with hot loads with H110 and A#9. If I don't I end up with a little leading in the first 1/2" or so of my barrel. You can learn a lot more about it if you visit castboolits.gunloads.com Do a search there and you will find out everything you need to know?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The Latest 'Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook' has loads for all the popular cast bullets in all calibers. Get a copy!!! It will answer most of your questions.

krw

Blackhawk
Thanks! I chked out castboolits. 1 bullet does not do everything in my centerfire reloading. But, I am gonna start casting bullets for .452 and I want to just cast one size in the 250-260gr range. Not gonna be hunting bullets. What would you recommend? I have poured tons of nickel babbit so lead cant be that much different to pour. Thanks!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
In the .45 caliber it is hard to beat the Elmer Kieth designs that are fairly closely copied by almost every mold maker. Lyman's Kieth bullets are my favorites. Gas checks are only needed with the heaviest loads when pushed to the max. Adjust your alloy to match pressure/velocity and everything will be fine.

DGW1949

Hunter
This is one of the best .45LC bullets for "all around" use that I know of:
http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-252-swc.html

DGW

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I load and shoot a lot of 45 Colt and 45 Casull ammo. I cast, size and lube my own bullets. I have tried most of the popular bullet designs with good results. My current favorite, especially when I want to push velocities a bit, is the 45-300AG design from Tom over at Accurate Molds. It will regularly shoot under 4", 100 yard, 5-shot groups out of my FA83 -- either in 45 Colt or Casull cases. And, it works great in my Rugers and USFA revolvers where it is as accurate (or more so) than any other design. It is an added step and expense to use the gas checks, but that is all I am using lately. Some folks say GC's are unnecessary in the 45 Colt. Maybe ... but I like them so I use them.

454PB

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
In the .45 caliber it is hard to beat the Elmer Kieth designs that are fairly closely copied by almost every mold maker. Lyman's Kieth bullets are my favorites. Gas checks are only needed with the heaviest loads when pushed to the max. Adjust your alloy to match pressure/velocity and everything will be fine.

Agreed, but you won't find any Keith design wearing a gas check, he didn't like them. I've been able to push plain based boolits to over 1300 fps. with no leading problems and good accuracy in my .454's, there's no reason it can't be done in .45 Colt as long as the size matches the cylinder throats.

Enigma

Hunter
454PB said:
Chuck 100 yd said:

Agreed, but you won't find any Keith design wearing a gas check, he didn't like them. I've been able to push plain based boolits to over 1300 fps. with no leading problems and good accuracy in my .454's, there's no reason it can't be done in .45 Colt as long as the size matches the cylinder throats.

^^This.^^

Latest posts