Florida background checks for ammo purchases in the news

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
There are political movements that come about after a crisis or tragedy like the Parkland Shooting which some bureaucrats in Florida are now making a poster child for NICS or FDLE background checks (and associated fees) to buy ammo. The old "never let a tragedy go to waste" is going to be used on this one and others as a back door for shooters to accept yet another small bite into their rights.

I said it before, I'll say it again... If you don't reload, do it. Start slow and yes hoard powder, primers, bullets (better still cast your own) and brass if you don't your options are few, there's always golf, racquetball, armchair quarterbacking etc. to use up your free time :) If you don't reload don't crab about not having ammo or not being able to shoot! Sheesh whining about not having ammo belongs on a therapist's couch :)

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
You guys are "behind the times"..... Our NY State legislators passed this law this year as of Sept. 13. Al ammo sold in NY State must be thru an FFL with a "background" check and extra $$$ cost for the 'check'. In keeping with our advanced technical expertise, NY no longer will use the Federal background check people (I forget what we call that); instead, a new/high tech NY system will do ALL background checks for ammo and firearms. One would assume that, in addition to assuring our safety, the new regulations will help us keep track of ALL our firearms and ammo purchases.

J.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Anything keeping one from just buying mail order or from an out of state source?
I think a few folks drive out of state to stock up . I attend a pretty big gun show in Bloomsburg Pa. On a fairly regular basis . I have seen quite a few out of State licence plates on cars . If you are buying enough it has to be saving you 💰. And the nosy atf, and other agencies to a degree are out of it on the ammo and components. Just bring cash 😊

RSIno1

Hunter
You guys are all behind "progressive" Commiefornia who has had a $1 background check fee for ammo for the last few years. The $1 is if you have a gun safety certificate without it there is a $19 fee. You can buy ammo online but it has to go to a dealer who can charge you whatever he wants to receive it. Privately you can only sell 500 rounds per month and it has to be done at an FFL who will charge $5 for the check and transfer. There are rumors they want to add reloading components to their scheme.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Anything keeping one from just buying mail order or from an out of state source?
YES........... ammo distributors and retailers have been informed of the laws and will not ship to a non-FFL (certified ammo/firearms dealer) in NY. I guess on can certainly buy ammo in another state......... at some point, it COULD become "smuggling" I would think.

J.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Ma. of course has some BS concerning ammo online but a couple will send ammo to Ma. if one sends a copy of their LTC. Buddy did it a couple times.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
YES........... ammo distributors and retailers have been informed of the laws and will not ship to a non-FFL (certified ammo/firearms dealer) in NY. I guess on can certainly buy ammo in another state......... at some point, it COULD become "smuggling" I would think.

J.
Egads, smuggling.

Star43

Blackhawk
You guys are all behind "progressive" Commiefornia who has had a $1 background check fee for ammo for the last few years. The $1 is if you have a gun safety certificate without it there is a $19 fee. You can buy ammo online but it has to go to a dealer who can charge you whatever he wants to receive it. Privately you can only sell 500 rounds per month and it has to be done at an FFL who will charge $5 for the check and transfer. There are rumors they want to add reloading components to their scheme.
He is exactly right. I remember the "good old day" when I could walk into a Walmart or a sporting goods store like a Big 5 or a regular gun shop and buy ammo and walk out .......Not now. Walmart just stopped selling it and you have to pay big bucks thru a gun shop or whatever and you have to be "registered" with this darn commie state to buy ammo. What he said is right and it just upsets just writing about this. The liberals in this state basically don't want people to have guns or ammo. So the "good guys" have a hard time, but the "bad guys".....they just seem to get what they want ......illegally, of course.

The ammo background check in NY is a total fustercluck. In areas where there is poor internet connections most sales are declined. Walmart has pretty much stopped gun and ammo sales and a lot of smaller FFL dealers are going out of business. It's back door gun control brought to the public by left leaning progressives.

Star43

Blackhawk
We in California have been going thru this crap for about 3 years now. And how about this, since the guns are all registered and you as a good old citizen want to buy some 9mm, But if you are not registered as having a 9mm handgun, they won't want to sell you the 9mm ammo !!! Just the ammo for the gun you are registered for. So if you have a 38 and your neighbor wants you to get some ammo for his 9mm while you are at the store, they don't want you to do that. .....And they say we live in a free country ??? That's a bunch of crap. It's all about control. That's our government.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
We in California have been going thru this crap for about 3 years now. And how about this, since the guns are all registered and you as a good old citizen want to buy some 9mm, But if you are not registered as having a 9mm handgun, they won't want to sell you the 9mm ammo !!! Just the ammo for the gun you are registered for. So if you have a 38 and your neighbor wants you to get some ammo for his 9mm while you are at the store, they don't want you to do that. .....And they say we live in a free country ??? That's a bunch of crap. It's all about control. That's our government.
Y'all out there in CA, and other States with similar problems, have my sincere condolences. I wish there was something I could do to remedy your situation. But I'm just an old guy out in the MS woods doing my best to stay alive and comparatively free for another few years.

500rnds!!! That's a slow afternoon of shooting!!!

Star43

Blackhawk
Y'all out there in CA, and other States with similar problems, have my sincere condolences. I wish there was something I could do to remedy your situation. But I'm just an old guy out in the MS woods doing my best to stay alive and comparatively free for another few years.
I understand what you mean. Just keep doing the best you can.

RSIno1

Hunter
Leave the hood open we'll be coming to visit when SHTF.
From the movie RED - Retired Extremely Dangerous.

Attachments

• reds3.JPG
    reds3.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 66