Imr 4198 and lead 30/30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I know get a manual. I have the little red 30/30manual and I've got a Lee 2nd addition modern reloading on the way. Just for a heads up head start I was hoping someone could give me a load they use,,used in 30/30
With Imran 4198 and lead bullet ,,, a bullet I can buy.
Just got some 4198 and I have Unique

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I use 22.5 grains under a 170 grain hard cast gas checked LFN (this is slightly above max) with no pressure signs but its a fearsome load

I have used both those powders in 30-30 win with lead bullets I made with gas checks in 150 and 170 grain. I used a manual for the amounts. Like they say, start low and work up the charge if you need more power.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Gas checks requires a bit more equipment right. And just learning more,,, I'm on overload with all my life's issues right now. LOL
Can't I just shoot 18 or more brinell hardness and keep the velocity down to 1500 or less.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I don't shoot much and don't mould bullets. Besides I like jacketed soft points. No more than I shoot it don't cost much. I would like to shoot the higher brinell hardness though with the 1400 to 1500 velocity.

JCK

Single-Sixer
I don't shoot much and don't mould bullets. Besides I like jacketed soft points. No more than I shoot it don't cost much. I would like to shoot the higher brinell hardness though with the 1400 to 1500 velocity.
You can!
I started out with a Lee 150gr RFN-GC mold and a sizer lubricator kit, melting lead on an electrical hot plate. I graduated to a Coleman gas stove and the Lee push through sizer dies.
My first loads were a Lee dipper using Unique Powder.
I was amazed at the decent results. No gaschecks necessary. No sizer necessary.
You WILL NEED some way to flare the case necks to allow seating the bullets without shaving the bullets. Then you'll need to crimp just enough to remove the flare for easy chambering.
I've still got the old 50yr old kit items. They still work great.
-A plug that with a tap of a plastic hammer flares the case neck
-A hollow tube that resembles an empty case to cut the bullets from a metal pan that you melt lube in.
- A sleeve you use a plunger to push the bullets through to size ( and will seat a gas check, too). Cost me $16 in 1975…mold was about the same…

You can just get by with the mold ($30 now) and a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox. Most any pistol or Shotgun powder will work. I recommend Universal or Unique.

DerekR

Bearcat
With lead bullets and Unique, you can have a lot of fun with the 30/30. I can't remember my load, but plain base and 8 grains comes to mind. I even bought some 115 grain bullets meant for the 32/20 and pushed them through a .310 sizer. Fun little light load.

Reactions: JCK

crow#2

Single-Sixer
You can!
I started out with a Lee 150gr RFN-GC mold and a sizer lubricator kit, melting lead on an electrical hot plate. I graduated to a Coleman gas stove and the Lee push through sizer dies.
My first loads were a Lee dipper using Unique Powder.
I was amazed at the decent results. No gaschecks necessary. No sizer necessary.
You WILL NEED some way to flare the case necks to allow seating the bullets without shaving the bullets. Then you'll need to crimp just enough to remove the flare for easy chambering.
I've still got the old 50yr old kit items. They still work great.
-A plug that with a tap of a plastic hammer flares the case neck
-A hollow tube that resembles an empty case to cut the bullets from a metal pan that you melt lube in.
- A sleeve you use a plunger to push the bullets through to size ( and will seat a gas check, too). Cost me $16 in 1975…mold was about the same…

You can just get by with the mold ($30 now) and a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox. Most any pistol or Shotgun powder will work. I recommend Universal or Unique.
Thankyou very much that's the kind of info I was wanting. Informative.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
With lead bullets and Unique, you can have a lot of fun with the 30/30. I can't remember my load, but plain base and 8 grains comes to mind. I even bought some 115 grain bullets meant for the 32/20 and pushed them through a .310 sizer. Fun little light load.thankyou very much. That is the type info I was looking for.

Latest posts