45LC loads for SW 25-5

Help Support Ruger Forum:

krw

Blackhawk
I see in loading manuals where older vintage 45LC need to be loaded down. I also see where Ruger can handle full power loads.
1 What can a SW 25-5 safely handle?
2 What can Winchester Lever action safely handle?
Thks

Enigma

Hunter
The Ruger large frame Blackhawk and Vaquero revolvers can handle 'Ruger-Only' loads; the New Vaqueros and flattop Blackhawks (with a 3-digit serial number prefix) can NOT handle those loads. They can handle up to .45 ACP +P level pressure. The S&W M25-5 will also not last long with Ruger-only loads.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I feed my 25-5 with handloads.
Basically 7.7 grains of Unique and a 250 grain RNFP lead cast bullet.
Easy on me and the Smith.
I'm old and I would like the Model of 1989 to be with me right along.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I run the same loads as a Colt 1873 in mine, no hot loads at all. If I need more power I have several Smith and Wesson 44 magnums and a .500. No need to damage a fine revolver.

A S&W 25-5 will handle .45 Colt factory loads and about any reasonable load. I fired a lot of 250 gr lead with 8.5 Unique and up to 9 grains Unique.

My word of advice: S&W makes something called a .44 Magnum if you want more power. There is no need to try to make a .45 Colt into one.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I freely use any load in a manual that does NOT say "Ruger ONLY" loads in my S&W's and Italian SAA clones. This warning goes for factory ammo also.

Here's an example of one I would NOT use in a S&W

I got these a while ago and even though I have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, I'm waiting on delivery of a 5 shot BFR for hot stuff.

georgia_arms_45_colt_ammo_r.jpg

Latest posts