Florida background checks for ammo purchases in the news

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
In the distant past CA had an ammo registration scheme in place. It lasted 4-5 years and the only thing it ever did was locate the store where Sirhan Sirhan bought the box of ammo he used to shoot Kennedy. How did they find it? They sent FBI agents to every store within a 10 mile radius of his house and workplace and combed through volumes of records. What use was it in the prosecution - ZERO. How many people who could not legally own ammo did it stop - ZERO. How many overtime dollars were spent by the feds - thousands upon THOUSANDS.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
There are political movements that come about after a crisis or tragedy like the Parkland Shooting which some bureaucrats in Florida are now making a poster child for NICS or FDLE background checks (and associated fees) to buy ammo. The old "never let a tragedy go to waste" is going to be used on this one and others as a back door for shooters to accept yet another small bite into their rights.

I said it before, I'll say it again... If you don't reload, do it. Start slow and yes hoard powder, primers, bullets (better still cast your own) and brass if you don't your options are few, there's always golf, racquetball, armchair quarterbacking etc. to use up your free time :) If you don't reload don't crab about not having ammo or not being able to shoot! Sheesh whining about not having ammo belongs on a therapist's couch :)
DeSantis will not allow this to happen. Just because some morons throw a turd against the wall doesn't mean it'll stick.

Star43

Blackhawk
DeSantis will not allow this to happen. Just because some morons throw a turd against the wall doesn't mean it'll stick.
I live in CA for 37 years now. Born in Mass. Talk about Liberals,............When I moved here my Boston accent was pretty strong and when I spoke to people here I used to say "I was a Rep- publican from Mass. There was only 4 of us. I left and now there are only 3 left there !!!!"". Well to be honest with you, the older I get, the more I don't trust ANY of them in Washington. All they seem to do is make deals between themselves to push their own individual agendas. They don't care about us. They are all the same

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I live in CA for 37 years now. Born in Mass. Talk about Liberals,............When I moved here my Boston accent was pretty strong and when I spoke to people here I used to say "I was a Rep- publican from Mass. There was only 4 of us. I left and now there are only 3 left there !!!!"". Well to be honest with you, the older I get, the more I don't trust ANY of them in Washington. All they seem to do is make deals between themselves to push their own individual agendas. They don't care about us. They are all the same
Florida is not California or Massachusetts & DeSantis is the polar opposite of any that Governor CA or MA has had for decades.
Will DeSantis leave office in FL? Sure. And who knows what lay in store for the state. But my comment was pertaining to the current state of affairs. DeSantis will not allow background checks for ammo purchases to be required in FL. No, they're not all the same. Most? Yes. All? No.

Star43

Blackhawk
Florida is not California or Massachusetts & DeSantis is the polar opposite of any that Governor CA or MA has had for decades.
Will DeSantis leave office in FL? Sure. And who knows what lay in store for the state. But my comment was pertaining to the current state of affairs. DeSantis will not allow background checks for ammo purchases to be required in FL. No, they're not all the same. Most? Yes. All? No.
Hope you are right, but I don't have quite the faith in him that you do.......which is fine. It would be great if you are right about him, but personally I don't think so. I've been too disappointed by all of these jerks for too many years. We'll see......

Star43

Blackhawk
If you choose to live in those states and pay taxes to support this sort of overbearing state regulations, probably time to re-think your game plan.
The old saying that the only thing you have control of is your own back yard, is very true. I live where I want to live and that is my what it is.....you have to understand that the Central Valley here is basically pretty conservative. When Trump ran against the guy who doesn't even know what he had for lunch today, ALL we saw here were Trump signs all over the place. All Republican signs. I drive all over the valley in my job. Yes, I am still working. Probably should of retired a few years, but I do what I want to do. From Fresno which is Republican for the most part to north of Stockton, all you see mostly were Trump signs. The amount of the other guy's signs I could count on 1 hand !! And that is the truth. The problem is LA and San Fran, especially Sab Fran where they actually poop in the streets. During the DAY. That's the homeless problem they have there and with all the money that they spend there, There is Still poop all over their streets. They even have maps where to show the streets with less poop......if you think I'm kidding, check it out for yourself. We just get outvoted all the time because up there they are all Liberals, and there are more of them than us. And these "people" can't even stop the pooping in their streets......Bottom line is Nobody poops on our street in our smaller communities. We have pride and live our lives here pretty clean.....In the valley we taks care of our own back yard. We have our kids and our grandkids and we at least, teach our own, the difference between right and wrong.

If you choose to live in those states and pay taxes to support this sort of overbearing state regulations, probably time to re-think your game plan.
In the case of my family we have circumstances that make moving not an option. We have elderly and ill family members that need our help and in my personal case I have to go to the cancer center every 3 to 4 months for the rest of my life.
We live in a conservative area but are out voted by the liberal cities.

Star43

Blackhawk
In the case of my family we have circumstances that make moving not an option. We have elderly and ill family members that need our help and in my personal case I have to go to the cancer center every 3 to 4 months for the rest of my life.
God Bless Ya and take care of yourself and your family the best you can.......You are very right that when you have family all around you, that is very important. You sound like folks around me here. We live in a conservative area but are outvoted by the large liberal cities. We just have to just keep going and do the best we can.

God Bless Ya and take care of yourself and your family the best you can.......You are very right that when you have family all around you, that is very important. You sound like folks around me here. We live in a conservative area but are outvoted by the large liberal cities. We just have to just keep going and do the best we can.
I was going to reply to your larger post but we are both on the same page as far as the conservative and liberal split in states. I live in a rural area and work in an urban hospital in a worsening area. The amount of drug related crime and violent crime is growing and the ER is overwhelmed with overdoses and assaults.
I could retire on full SSD but do enjoy my job and think it's better for me to work instead of sit around thinking that my life sucks.

Star43

Blackhawk
I was going to reply to your larger post but we are both on the same page as far as the conservative and liberal split in states. I live in a rural area and work in an urban hospital in a worsening area. The amount of drug related crime and violent crime is growing and the ER is overwhelmed with overdoses and assaults.
I could retire on full SSD but do enjoy my job and think it's better for me to work instead of sit around thinking that my life sucks.
Yeah, we are on the same page alright. Keep doing what you doing as long you can.

Star43

Blackhawk
Since they started this, I have refused to do it. I do notice when I go to Bass Pro, just to look around that there is always a small line just standing there and complaining amongst themselves that they have to wait in line I was just there this past Tuesday and same thing. There is a clerk at a computer working real slow and a guy standing at the counter. He was there, just standing there for at least 10 or more minutes, just standing there looking uncomfortable and the 2 people left in line were just there with there arms crossed. One leaning on a shelf, and the 3rd guy in line was walking away.....it is a really stupid and crappy system. One system that I refuse to be part of. I stayed at the store just looking around at stuff that I didn't buy, just to keep an eye out what was going on. After about 15 minutes and the first guy is Still at the counter, I just left. What an idiotic system.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Since they started this, I have refused to do it. I do notice when I go to Bass Pro, just to look around that there is always a small line just standing there and complaining amongst themselves that they have to wait in line I was just there this past Tuesday and same thing. There is a clerk at a computer working real slow and a guy standing at the counter. He was there, just standing there for at least 10 or more minutes, just standing there looking uncomfortable and the 2 people left in line were just there with there arms crossed. One leaning on a shelf, and the 3rd guy in line was walking away.....it is a really stupid and crappy system. One system that I refuse to be part of. I stayed at the store just looking around at stuff that I didn't buy, just to keep an eye out what was going on. After about 15 minutes and the first guy is Still at the counter, I just left. What an idiotic system.

Buying ammo should be like buying a box of CornFlakes. That's how we do it here. :)

If you're busted up and have worked enough years SS will let you retire early without penalty without using SSDI.

Yeah stuck in MD for similar reasons.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
As part of the Federal 1968 gun law ammo sales had to be logged, nothing more. I worked selling guns and ammo from then until 1977.
The ammo logbook was NEVER checked in our store by BATF during that time. I've never heard of it being anything more than a nuisance.
And now, for some of us it will become a more expensive burden. Anti-gunners must be smiling.

BTW, for the reloaders primers are about 10 times as expensive as they were several years ago, when you can find them.