Latest gun problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well I have been talking about having my srh 480 7.5" cut to alaskan size. Well I checked with the guy who was doing the work a couple of weeks ago and he was mailing it that day. He told me to be looking for it about last wednesday. I have been sitting and wating on it ever since then. No gun has arrived and it's tuesday of the next week. So I call him back to see what the problem is. He told me someone in the post office had put back the whole shipment from him and another gun dealer in the area. And that he had spent the whole day yesterday at the post office with the BATF FBI and POSTAL INSPECTORS getting it straightened out and that my gun would be shipped out today at lunch. Whoever the worker at the post office who put the packages aside and didn't ship them is in Bigg trouble. But the packages weren't taken out of the post office so it wasn't a long drawn out thing to get them shipped out. The postal worker will probably serve time over this since it involved a handgun. My gun is sending someone to prison before I even get to see it. The rest of his shipment was just a shotgun barrel and a couple of jackets but with my handgun in it it got serious in a hurry. I should recieve it around friday now without any other problems. I am not a patient person to begin with and then a problem like this. Oh well it's on the way again now.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
My goodness, what an interesting turn of events.

One has to wonder what this guy was going to do with the "boxes" that he put aside. Take them home one by one ? ? ? or ? ? ? He's in deep doo doo now!

Glad your gun is on it's way home. Keep us posted.

VQ

EDK

Single-Sixer
The tracking number is your friend. I request it whenever a gun or major item is shipped to me.

UPS required next day air, etc. because their employees allegedly had some similar issues about handguns. I had one stolen in a similar deal and then the guy saw it was a BLACKHAWK and pitched in a throw-away corner that was discovered some months later...with a bunch of guns that weren't desirable enough or the culprit chickened out. I guess the thief wanted a 1911!

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My gun is on the move as we speak it's on its way to place 3 as we speak today. I will watch it all the way home. You don't know how relieved I am to see it moving. Our mail runs on saturday around lunch so It will be in my hot little hands by lunch saturday. luckly I got 1000 38 hulls in today to help pass the time till then. I will go out and shoot it as soon as it comes in then hopefully get it cleaned up and get some pictures posted of it if I can figure out how. My son post most of my pictures for me. I will try and if I can't get them to work I will email them to him and have him post them for me.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I figured I would give it some time then call and see what the outcome is at the post office from the guy who did the work. I'm kind of interested to see what happens

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Curious - did your gunsmith mark his packages with " Joe's GUNS" or something indicating firearms? What would indicate the potential for guns in the box, to a mail handler?

We get valuables (gemstones, guns, watches, etc) through the mail, and always require discreet, non-enticing labels and packaging. Never had a prob like that.

Yeah I can understand the postal worker getting in trouble but what did he do to earn jail time?

But I'm glad it worked out for you and the gun didn't get stolen or otherwise lost.

louiethelump

Buckeye
The postal worker stole the gun. That is generally frowned upon.

When he moved the box with the gun in it out of it's shipping path and set it aside, it was STOLEN.

My experience with the postal service is that not much will be done to him.

I could be wrong.

PHESPE

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
Curious - did your gunsmith mark his packages with " Joe's GUNS" or something indicating firearms? What would indicate the potential for guns in the box, to a mail handler?

We get valuables (gemstones, guns, watches, etc) through the mail, and always require discreet, non-enticing labels and packaging. Never had a prob like that.

?? I think that in order to ship a Handgun via USPS

1) only a FFL holder can ship
2) there is a special form that must be filled out and attached to the shipment

PHESPE

louiethelump

Buckeye
For post office, it has to go dealer to dealer for handguns. Individuals can mail long guns TO a FFL dealer.

There is an affidavit that you present at the post office when you mail it, that says it is going dealer to dealer and names where it is going. That form is retained by the post office where you shipped it for one year, after the postal worker signs and stamps it.

When you are mailing a box about gun size and about gun weight, and it is going to "joes Gunshop" it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what is in it.

I lost one in San Antonio Texas, and the letter carrier who supposedly delivered it got away with "I don't remember what I did with it" when he got questioned by the Postal Inspector. That was good enough and NOTHING happened to him. Your labor unions at work.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well I was going to watch it all the way home but today nothing has been posted on it. It was shown moving 2 times in N.C. and leaving north carolina and that was the last update. I guess the other postal workers aren't doing their job and posting as it passes thru their system. I only have another day and a half to wait to see if it comes in. USPS tracking is not anything like UPS's theirs is up to the minute almost USPS a lot of the times the package arrives before they update it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Tommy Kelly said:
Well I was going to watch it all the way home but today nothing has been posted on it. It was shown moving 2 times in N.C. and leaving north carolina and that was the last update. I guess the other postal workers aren't doing their job and posting as it passes thru their system. I only have another day and a half to wait to see if it comes in. USPS tracking is not anything like UPS's theirs is up to the minute almost USPS a lot of the times the package arrives before they update it.

If an update wasn't posted, it hasn't moved. I had one that just sat at a sorting facility for an entire day only 5 miles from my house!

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well HONDO you are proven wrong. I have the gun in my hot little hands as we speak. It was delivered a day before the scheduled delivery and the last scan showed it leaving the sort point in greensborrow N.C. It was delivered this morning to my wife at her office and it looks awesome. I am well pleased with the work. Only problem is it has a fibre optic sight blade which I will change out and put a different sight in it's place. I don't really care for the fibre optics.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Tommy,

I have never been more happy to be wrong! That's way cool, ahead of schedule; you were expecting tomorrow right?

I agree, the fiber optic has to go. Did you ask for your barrel stub back?