Gun show finds,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been in 4 states, at their gun shows and most were great. In Richmond, VA, the Great Southern Gun Show had everything, from guns, knives from all the wars, to shrunken heads, wildlife mounts, etc. In PA, shows I. Allentown, Oaks, and Ft. Washington were great. Lots to see, buy and sell. TX, of course, in Dallas and Ft. Worth were great and found a lot there. In AZ, Phoenix has the best, while all the outlying cities have smaller versions.

wproct

Single-Sixer
10 years ago and more I used to go to a lot of gun shows. I also had a friend that did the same thing. We didn't travel together but would see each other after the show and share experiences. Problem for me was that I was always looking for something that I really wanted and would often pay dearly to get it. My friend on the other hand didn't go looking for anything in particular, just something that he could get a really good price on or that he could trade something that he had and come out really good on the trade.

My friend was much smarter than me.;)

Rclark

Hunter
Usually takes all of $10 entry fee, and 10-20 minutes to cruise our gun shows. Skip everything but those tables selling Single Actions. Usually a quick glance tells me all I need to know, move on...

Huntfish918

Bearcat
Tulsa Gun shows at Fairgrounds IPE Bldg in 1981-82 time frame was a bunch of fun.
Bring some trade fodder in a small backpack, $500 in cash, take my time enjoying meeting old guys and see just how good my luck finding deals was by time to leave.
KCMO one show I met an old man with a table full of Johnson rifles and parts. Turns out he was a Navy Machinist in WWII who was a Marine Corps armorer working on assault carrier Belleau Wood weapons shop in Pacific. My Uncle flew off the BW at Okinawa and got Navy Cross.
This old guy worked mostly on aircraft machine guns but learned to work on Johnson rifles.
Fun time talking to him.

My Last Tulsa gun show couple years ago was a disappointment
The Tulsa Gun Show, the Wanenmacher, has become less prestigious than it was in the 70s and 80s. The IPE (International Petroleum Exposition) building has been renamed several times, but the Golden Driller still stands out front. Joe died two years ago. His kids are running it now. He actively recruited exhibitors from other shows around the country to set up at his show in Tulsa. I live only two miles from the fairgrounds and set up for almost every gunshow held there, from the small ones to the big one which happens twice a year. I have attended the show annually since I was a kid, except for college years. If you have never attended the "biggest gunshow in the world," you owe it to yourself to come at least once. 11 acres of guns under one roof!!! This year's fall show dates are Nov. 11 & 12. I managed to finally get a group of tables on the balcony. We only offer collectibles. No sense in trying to compete with Academy or BassPro on new stuff. Yeah, our stuff is expensive, but what's not? And, every thing is negotiable...make me an offer. See you there!

Huntfish918

Bearcat
I am about to turn 70 and have enjoyed going to shows mostly with my wife over the years. She is a very good spotter, I tell/show her what I am looking for and she can scour one side while I get the other when we go to Tulsa. I have about given up on the regular ones I have in Nebraska and central Kansas where I live and will make a pilgrimage to Tulsa for the first time during the fall show this November. Reservations are made and we have found the places we like to eat and make it a fun trip besides wearing ourselves out by walking. I did notice that they finally raised the fee to $15. I like to find the bargains and also the unusual but I am at the point where I just don't "need" any more firearms so I hope to find some odd and interesting things.
Welcome to Tulsa! See you in November. My friends and I will be set up against the balcony with several tables full of Pre-64 Winchesters, five screw S&Ws, Colts and some other goodies. We are currently out of Ruger products. All personal collections...

dsf

Bearcat
I've never had a bad day at a gun show. For starters, they always take me outside California. ;)

A few odds & ends I've found at gun shows -
IMG_0763.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0209 (1).jpg
IMG_0353.jpg

With the exception of the BAR - all C&R "cash & carry".

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Stopped going around 2017 or 2018. $50 in gas, $20 in food, $15 in entry fees to look at 25% of the tables.

The people watching is pretty good but the deals just seemed to dry up.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Interesting thread.
I have always enjoyed attending & setting up a couple tables at local gun shows over the years.
As mentioned above the show's have changed quite a bit over the years, some for the good some bad. That's beyond my control so I enjoyed them for what they were.
Due to arthritis I quit going and setting up about five years ago. So I will suggest that you enjoy them while you still can, ;) I miss the old timers & listening to their
tales of the hunt!
Terry

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I remember going to the 'Big E' in Springfield MA to their gun shows.....( back when Mass wasn't full Communist )

It was Yuuuuge for New England show standards.....

I built a complete International Harvester M1 Garand from various parts dealers at the Big E...... my how times have changed
No gun shows in the "constitution state" (Ct) either.

What you mean is, you can't find rare and expensive items for cheap. 😐
Let me give you a heads up. Nothing is cheap anymore.
But what do I know, I'm just a dealer trying to sell my stuff at inflated prices.

pawncop

Blackhawk
Went to a local show a couple of weeks ago. As others have stated, I don't go looking for anything in particular rather what can I find.
Observed an elderly gentleman carrying a holster. I have been watching some of the videos from Legacy Collectables and the holster looked interesting. I asked him what he was carrying, and he tells me a Beretta in 1934 in .380 caliber. I do not need another .380. But the gun is in good condition, the holster as well, spare magazine, made in 1939 (stamped), and the correct markings indicating it's a military issue. Ask him how much he wants and he says $350.00. Sooooooo, I nearly damage my shoulder getting my wallet.
It shoots well, feeds hollow points, and I am waiting for the next show.

I'm setting up at the Marlboro Massachusetts gun show on the 23rd & 24th with some friends. Every show I do I swear it will be my last. It's sad to see people walk by a nice display of antique Winchester, Marlin and Savage lever actions to go drool over some plastic keltec 9mm something or other. There seems to be very little interest in single action revolvers as well. Which I can understand with the current price of Colts. At least it will be time well spent with other gun nuts and there's always the entertainment value. Hopefully it will be a buying opportunity for me because you never know what's going to walk through the door.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I go and overlook the guns. I focus on the small bits. Went to the rapid city gun show a couple years back. Guy had a box o takeoff grips. $12ea so I see a gp-100 grip with the dark panels actually a super Redhawk grip. Sure I'll take that so he says I've got more under table also-gets second box out. I get more interested grab a security six target grip, then a smooth large letts special gp-100 grip! Then another just like it! Then another-But it fits a security six! Then a rare smooth security six small grip. All as new Letts! I wonder how he got all these rare grips exactly but I can't ask- don't want to spook the sale. All he says is something about selling off Grandpa's stuff. So I have 6 grips at $12 each. Ask him how much? He thinks I'm trying to jew him down. He says wow if you want so many how about $35? I think I almost ran home for fear of being arrested for theft! Same sale I'm looking at cheap aluminum scope rings $10 guy says you buying? I say no looking for good steel ones. He reaches in a box pulls out some Leupold steel rings says same price. Don't overlook the "stuff" other than guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Don't overlook the "stuff" other than guns."

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

I do that all the time. In fact,, most of the time,, it's the small stuff I seek. And often, I get good stuff at very reasonable prices. But occasionally, I do get a good gun as well. That's why I like going to gun shows.

"I have nothing against someome wanting to make a profit. I do the same thing. But when a new .357 Blackhawk can be had at Bud's for $622, I can't see paying $650 for a used one."

A lot of people do not shop online, or will buy off the internet. Many prefer to put "hands on" a gun. Or,, they are faced with high transfer fees by the local gun shop if they do buy online. Many people have a valid reason to pay a little more in a local gun show, than the bargain shoppers.
But I can easily agree that many gun show vendors do have excessive prices on many things. When I encounter those types,,, I just smile, thank them for their time, and continue on my way.

Acorn

Buckeye
My buddy and I went to a show yesterday. Only thing I bought was a NIB set of K frame Pachmayr's for $10.
My buddy bought nothing.
We were hoping the there'd be some reasonably priced powder and primers being they are becoming more available, but prices were still up there. Like $13/100 primers and 1lb H110 for $51.89 plus tax.
On the way back we his a small shop that used to sell firearms. Now just sporting goods.
His son won a GSG AK22 that came with only 1 mag and has been looking for some spares. Like trying to find a unicorn.
There on the hook were 2 mags in the packages.
Marked $35 ea. but the guy sold the for $30 ea.
Ya never know.

akbluz

Blackhawk
I go to every gun show that I can here in Southcentral Alaska.
I told my friend on our way to the AGCA show in Anchorage this past Saturday that I LOVE living in this our great country and our great state where you can buy a gun/ammo from an individual without having to ask for "guvmint permission".
I do think since GunBroker and other online sellers are out there, folks can easily look up prices and mark up guns they are selling to try to get top dollar.... I'm OK with that. But tables (and tables) of plastic guns don't really interest me all that much. I have managed to find a few "deals" over the years from regular folks who were downsizing their collections. I always find some reloading something or other that I didn't realize I needed until I saw it. Plus I just enjoy visiting with some of the same folks I've met at gun shows over years. I do love it when I see moms and dads bringing their kids - and I congratulate them for the fine example they are setting for their little guys.
Our gun shows may not be really big but they do support great organizations that sponsor them. I'd go for that reason alone.

I began visiting gun shows back in the mid-1950s when they were loaded with war trophies that had been gathering dust for at least 10 years. Often the former GI was the seller who could tell you where he "captured" the treasure and from whom he secured. How many of those stories were factual we never knew and probably didn't care. We bought '03 Springfields, P17 Enfields, DEWATS of all kinds, Jungle Carbines, then the Bolo Mausers, Lugers, P38s, and an occasional PPK. You could buy an outstanding Luger Pistol for $75 or less.
The competion for the gun shows, at least in Buffalo & Syracuse, NY were the neighborhood "2nd Hand Stores" where war trophies were dirt cheap.,, especially if you were a collector you could find uniforms, medals & patches, flags & banners, even photos & books. In the early '50s a great deal of Civil War memorabilia could also be found in these shops at very reasonable prices with an occasional rare find of a real treasure. Those truly where the days!

Latest posts