Blackhawk OM Flattop Barrel Problem - Need ideas.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marcruger2

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

My buddy and I are trying to diagnose a barrel issue with a custom '50s Flattop 44 Blackhawk (OM obviously).

After 20 years of shooting, the barrel has suddenly loosened in the frame to the point that (with the ejector rod housing off) the front sight is canted right viewed from the muzzle to about 10 degrees off when barrel is hand tightened up against the frame. It was never loose before.

The barrel is an aftermarket Douglas. The loads shot through it have all been 240 lswc 44 Special loads 6.9 to 7.5 grains Unique. Should not be loads that stress out a 44 Magnum revolver at all.

Work was done by the late Bob Yurina of Virginia Beach VA. A respected gunsmith who worked on all of Doc O'Meara's Colts.

As an engineer brain, it seems the only way it could loosen is for the barrel threaded portion to crack, or for the frame to have cracked. After cleaning inside and out, I do not see a crack in the barrel or frame. Used strong magnifier and bright LED lights.

What else could cause a barrel to suddenly loosen to the point that it needs another 10 degrees turn to get to hand tight?

I look forward to your answers or guesses. God Bless, Marc

expansion and contraction,, heat and time, pressure and the force of the bullet rotating down the barrel........proper way is remove and machine ( set back the barrel) some would just loctite,JB weld?? in place, let it set up though..........and make sure its "In place" anything to "occupy" the threads, set and harden,,,,,BUT do not be surprised if it doesn't not break loose ( free) again down the road...........( set back the barrel) ;)

hittman

Staff member
Rugerguy gives stellar advice.
He's been there and done that.

Marcruger2

Bearcat
In looking further, it appears that the real issue is with whoever originally threaded the barrel. They did a crappy job making the threads, and did not have it turn all the way up to top dead center when tightened. I was thinking setting back the barrel a turn was the answer, but after looking at the threads, I think that will still be an issue due to poor mating of the frame and barrel threads. Shortening the barrel by cutting off the offending threads and creating new threads is not an option as the barrel is 4-5/8". I think this one is in need of a replacement barrel. Many thanks and best wishes, Marc
IMG_5228a.jpg

Seriously, I would chase both male and female threads carefully, then clean, epoxy and reassemble to the index mark.
You should always be able to break the glue with heat if you need to.
You have nothing to lose.

Latest posts