Will Ruger Fix This Problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought this .44 Special Flat Top Blackhawk 10+ years ago and just never could get "in" to it. But recently I dug it back out and started working with it to the tune of cutting the forcing cone to 11° and fire-lapping the tight spot out of the barrel. A little ways into the lapping as I was checking progress I noticed the rear of the lands looked odd. A close inspection revealed that 5 of the 6 lands have bad spots on them-

5Rkz4Qul.jpg
VT9LMMul.jpg
V5Y7zzbl.jpg
NrpcnUdl.jpg

As one can see, the left rear edge of the lands aren't complete.

Is this something Ruger would possibly take care of? The barrel catches lots of lead in those bad areas.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree,, that will be a question for Ruger to answer.

Call, be polite. Ask for a service tech. Explain the past issues with bad leading etc. Then explain you were trying to correct it when you discovered the issue. See what they say. Emphasize how bad it had been & how disappointed you had been in it's performance.

Woodtroll

Bearcat
The eroding leading edges of the lands are from the fire-lapping. The abrasive wears that edge first as the bullet hits that edge hardest as it launches before it starts to rotate. I've seen that done on a couple of stainless .45s; the rifling erodes well before the "choke" is ever lapped out. Hand lapping is a lot more work but is a much safer way to eliminate the choke without affecting the rifling as much, because the lap is always rotating with the rifling.

I'm anxious to see if Ruger will repair it. With a gun that old, if I'm not mistaken, they'll at least ask you to pay shipping.

I also agree with the opinion that it's a fire lapping result and also think it doesn't make any difference in itself
to how the gun will shoot.
Strictly, as in totally guessing... Ruger will charge you for a new barrel.

Just my opinion, but that's not a huge issue. How does it shoot? Is the the constriction gone?
The constriction is gone. I haven't yet tested it for accuracy. The problem is that those areas in the rifling catch lead.

The areas in question were not caused by or from fire-lapping. I noticed them about 18 rounds into the process.
If you've ever tried to fire-lap one of Ruger's granite hard barrels, you'd understand!

magpouch

Single-Sixer
Yes, I have firelapped a "few"... :) Great fun sometimes, I usually firelap shooting groups, and you can watch each group tighten up as you go.

Also cut a bunch of forcing cones, my experience with Smith and Ruger revolvers is that they are usually nowhere near concentric to the bore, and as it relates to accuracy, this has always shown me great improvement. Cut only the very minimum amount to get full clean-up.

Did you buy the tooling to cut the forcing cone? The reason I ask it that if you have the brass tapered plug to polish the cone? If you do, I have had great luck using the plug and a couple small strips of sticky sandpaper cut and stuck to the plug. You can polish the cutter marks out and that will help with the leading.

Also, if the leading happened while you were using a faster powder, try something slower. I got schooled by an old timer to try 2400 vs Unique and it made a huge difference in several of my problem children... :)

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Being over a 2 year old gun you'll have to pay for shipping, should be $45. But Ruger is likely to take care of your 44.

Yes, I have firelapped a "few"... :) Great fun sometimes, I usually firelap shooting groups, and you can watch each group tighten up as you go.

Also cut a bunch of forcing cones, my experience with Smith and Ruger revolvers is that they are usually nowhere near concentric to the bore, and as it relates to accuracy, this has always shown me great improvement. Cut only the very minimum amount to get full clean-up.

Did you buy the tooling to cut the forcing cone? The reason I ask it that if you have the brass tapered plug to polish the cone? If you do, I have had great luck using the plug and a couple small strips of sticky sandpaper cut and stuck to the plug. You can polish the cutter marks out and that will help with the leading.

Also, if the leading happened while you were using a faster powder, try something slower. I got schooled by an old timer to try 2400 vs Unique and it made a huge difference in several of my problem children... :)

When fire-lapping I try not to waste my daylight shooting time, so I do that at night. 2.5-3.0 gr. of Bullseye or IMR-Target is about perfect.

The forcing cone cutter is a kit from Brownells. It does have the brass taper plug and I have tried to use it with lapping compound. You can probably guess what happened since brass is softer than Ruger's barrels! But I will definitely try the sticky sandpaper idea.
The leading I'm taking about is where the bad spots in the rifling grab lead and strip it from the bullets.

Woodtroll

Bearcat
The constriction is gone. I haven't yet tested it for accuracy. The problem is that those areas in the rifling catch lead.

The areas in question were not caused by or from fire-lapping. I noticed them about 18 rounds into the process.
If you've ever tried to fire-lap one of Ruger's granite hard barrels, you'd understand!

I have indeed firelapped several, and the constriction in the .45s seems to be more pronounced than in the .44s I've seen, I assume because of the thinner material at the threads in the .4s. My experiences lead me to believe that rifling wear in the photo is from the firelapping process. I don't know of any machining or assembly process that would produce that. But, I could well be wrong! Curious to hear what Ruger has to say, for sure.

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
Now I'm curious, I'm going to check the rifling my Ruger .44 Special flattop, 4 5/8" barrel.

I've shot about 150 rounds jacketed 200 grain HP charged with Unique, and 150 rounds of 200 grain lead SWC with 2400. Works fine.
I'll report any issues

contender

Ruger Guru
If I see this correctly,,,, you were confronted with a problem in a .45 Colt. You worked on the constriction, and wondered about the forcing cone area. And you worked on that.

Now,, looking at the targets,, and I see great groups,, which I think any of us would appreciate.

But I have a question.
If in .45 Colt,, why are you using bullets that are for a .44 mag or .44 Spl? (429421)

I'm scratching my head here.

If I said here that I was working on a 45 Colt, my apologies, it's a .44 Special. I DID recently buy a Flat Top Convertible in 45 Colt, but the subject of this thread is my .44 Special.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oops!!!!!!

This was MY mistake. I was looking at another thread about .45's and got my wires crossed.

You didn't say anything here about a .45.

But NOW,, that I'm in the right place & looking at the correct stuff,, my head scratching stopped,, and my red face of embarrassment has taken over. It's what I get for being tired & on here so late.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think it is a non-issue, and perhaps if you had noticed and taken a picture of it prior to fire lapping you might have a case. But, there is no way to determine whether that is the result of your actions or theirs.

Latest posts