Bought .22 ammo at Wal-Mart lately?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I remember having to "sign in" the log book when buying .22LR ammo at the local farm store years ago . . . name, address, birth date. What a joke. The employees thought so, too.

:roll:

Danno

Bearcat
For what it's worth, I've bought plenty of ammo - .22, .38, and 9mm - at WalMart and Academy here in the liberal bastion in central Texas. Not once have I been asked if it is for a handgun.

But now I'll remember the "slingshot" answer!

williamc

Single-Sixer
More importantly...has anyone noticed how expensive Federal bulk has gotten at WM? We're paying almost $20/brick here in GA. I remember (not too long ago) when it was $7.

As pointed out many states have different age requirements for buying ammo depending on if it is for a handgun or rifle....

Heck, y'all want to protest.... you have to be over 21 to buy spray paint from Home Depot. Go figure.?

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
carsinc said:
Think WalMart is crazy? Dick's now asks for a photo ID to buy ammo.
That's why they have that GREAT BIG SIGN on the front of the building. :twisted:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I don't have a problem with the photo ID. You have to show your ID to buy any kind of alcohol or tobacco. Although it seems kinda silly when you're old enough to have gray hair. :roll:

I might add that I used to buy .22LR ammo from Walmart and thankfully, it was the only thing I had to buy from there. I've since found that I can get it cheaper ordering it by the case from Cheaper than Dirt, factoring in shipping, sales tax and everything.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I don't buy much ammo since I usually make my own. I have bought some 22 ammo at Wally world though. I think they do ask. The next time someone buys some 40 S&W or 9mm ammo you should say, 'no it's not for a handgun'. I bet they would never know anyway.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Had a buddy about 20yrs ago with a Marlin Camp 9. Because he was under 21, he had a hell of a time buying ammo for it. Some would sell it to him, some wouldn't. I suspect it would be no different these days, if not worse.

I have not shown an I.D. to buy Alcohol in a long time....(55) places I buy it hire folks that can think past what the screen on the register tells them. That is probably the problem with your Walmarts.... the person swiping the ammo at the register does not know or care why the computer is prompting them to ask you the question... if they did then they could make the choice of just answering the question themselves.... either way and then saying yes they 'checked' your ID. This is assuming most of the folks on this forum are a little older than 21.

minderasr

Bearcat
At the Walmart by me, if you buy pistol ammo the register displays "Must show permit". I've argued with the clerk, telling him it was for a pistol caliber carbine. They don't care. Eventually I gave up and showed them my permit and went on my way.

Pal Val

Buckeye
It was a couple years ago at a Walmart in upstate PA. Went to buy a brick of .22's. The clerk (prompted by the cash register screen) asked me if this was the proper caliber I needed. Said yes. Then (again reading from the screen), he asked me if I was over 21. I asked - over 21 what?. Taken off his routine, the clerk looked away from the screen and saw me. I must have looked unhappy to him with my bald head and grey whiskers because he apologized. Then, again looking at the screen, he asked me if that ammunition was for a handgun or a rifle. I replied - in a handgun or a rifle. So he asked me again, and I replied the same again. Then he looked at me with a face like a confused dog and asked me to reply, not to repeat the question. So I told him I was using it in a handgun or a rifle, whichever I grabbed first, and that was none of his doggone business.
The question is stupid, and a stupid question deserves a stupid answer. I took my bullets and never looked back.
Remembered the old George Carlin joke about big store clerks. Their IQ is never as high as their age.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Personally, I hate Walmart but I'm gonna have to stick up for the hapless employee. I would guess that 99% of those minimum wage clerks have no idea why the question is asked. Like most employees, they're trying to do as they are told. I wouldn't be too tough on them, they're only trying to do their job. NO different than asking for ID to buy alcohol or tobacco products. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the manager.

Charon

Single-Sixer
Last time I bought .22 ammunition at Cabela's they asked the same question. Since I am clearly over 21, I said "Both." The clerk laughed with me, and I got my ammunition.

Zeego

Bearcat
I dont shop at WM. I would happily pay a $1 or $2 more for the same ammo and support a local shop rather than feed the machine. WM is soooo bad, i will drive 10 more minutes to get something.

A smart buddy of mine once worked part time at a WM type place.Folks would ask him where such and such was,to which he would reply' Isle "so and so",look for my twin brother'.
Then he would scoot over to the designated isle....play the twin brother role

martyj

Blackhawk
Heck by the time I find the person that is suppose to be in sporting goods at our walmart I forgot what I wanted or wanted it for.

cagedodger

Bearcat
I bought another brick of .22s and another 50 rds of .22 WMR at Academy today.

The clerk just looked at me, realized I'm well over 21 and never asked a thing.

Must just be Wal-Mart policy to ask questions.

We're going to try out the new revolver tomorrow.

RR22MB6AS_lg.jpg

Cage