Well…I bought it.Follow up to Any Ruger single sixes with 3” barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akmania

Single-Sixer
I went back today and took a chance and bought it. I wasn't sure how it would shoot. It shoots great, love it! I want to find out who did the work to it. The guy that had them on consignment is supposed to call me when he gets back in town.I want to find out more info on who did the work on it.

Does anybody know what kind of grips these would be, they are a little different shape than factory Ruger grips.

Ruger says this one came from the factory with 5.5" barrel and adjustable sights.
It now has a 3 1/8" barrel and a great trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 116
Ruger says this one came from the factory with 5.5" barrel and adjustable sights.
Neat revolver! 😍

I ran the serial number, and got the same model designation you did. I'm wondering if there's a mixup at Ruger records, or something.

It strikes me as odd that someone would go to the work of starting with an adjustable sight revolver, when Ruger has made various runs of fixed sight Single-Sixes through the years.

I expected that it would have started as something like an NR5-F.
(Assuming my nomenclature is correct!)

1716664023298.jpeg

Whatever is started as, I do like the finished product! ❤️

A couple of other curiosities, to my eye:
1) Is the topstrap area around the rear sight a slightly different color? (Looks like it, to me.) If so, that might suggest that the topstrap had been welded up, then machined down.
2) I don't have many blued Single-Sixes, but I think all of my blued New Models have sides of the hammer that are polished, or "in the white."

I'll be curious to see what others think, and especially curious to hear "the rest of the story," if the seller is good enough to contact you. 👍

Last edited:

akmania

Single-Sixer
It strikes me as odd that someone would go to the work of starting with an adjustable sight revolver, when Ruger has made various runs of fixed sight Single-Sixes through the years.
Yeah, I would have kept the adjustable sights.

Yeah, I would have kept the adjustable sights.

I totally understand the appeal of fixed sights… I love wannabe "cowboy guns" that look the part.

I just think that I would have started with a different canvas.

Of course, as soon as I had a "shortie" with fixed sights… I'd want one with adjustable sights, too! 🤪

Last edited:

akmania

Single-Sixer
I like the look of fixed sights better , but you never know where they will hit.
I got lucky with this one it's dead on. I was a little hesitant of buying it because of the sights. I thought surely if they took the time to do all of that work , they would get it zeroed so you can hit something with it.🤔

Star43

Buckeye
I think Uncle Howie is probably correct that maybe there was a mistake on the adjustable sight thing. It would make no sense to go thru the trouble to get rid of the adjustable sights when Ruger makes so many fixed sight guns. It's just unnecessary work and needless, IMO. I mean it looks good now, but it would be nice to get down to the bottom of what the gun was originally. The guy who owned that gun or the one who did the work on it, would be the ones to clear this up.👍

pyth0n

Buckeye
I went back today and took a chance and bought it. I wasn't sure how it would shoot. It shoots great, love it! I want to find out who did the work to it. The guy that had them on consignment is supposed to call me when he gets back in town.I want to find out more info on who did the work on it.

Does anybody know what kind of grips these would be, they are a little different shape than factory Ruger grips.

That's a beaut. Whom ever did the work obviously knew what he/she was doing.

akmania

Single-Sixer
I think Uncle Howie is probably correct that maybe there was a mistake on the adjustable sight thing. It would make no sense to go thru the trouble to get rid of the adjustable sights when Ruger makes so many fixed sight guns. It's just unnecessary work and needless, IMO. I mean it looks good now, but it would be nice to get down to the bottom of what the gun was originally. The guy who owned that gun or the one who did the work on it, would be the ones to clear this up.👍
I agree

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Second hand, I'm sure you got it cheaper than either the cost of all that gunsmithing, or the collector cost of a factory "Blackbird" or "Whitebird", which are both changing hands for $1500+.

I agree with Uncle Howie on the weld-up job around the rear sight. Ruger steel alloy is hard to match and hard to re-blue to match (or so I have observed - I am no gunsmith). UH is also correct that the sides of the hammer were not blued by the factory.

Looks like it shoots! Congrats

akmania

Single-Sixer
What do you think about what type of grip frame / grips that's on it? I was wanting to get a set of checkered walnut grips from Altamont .

contender

Ruger Guru
Over the decades,, I've seen many a good gun be chopped, customized or whatever because of the fact the owner had that gun and wanted something different. They did NOT care if it was a rare or desirable collectable version as built. or, they didn't care what it costs. They had a gun built however they wanted it.

I'd say this is exactly what has happened here. A previous owner wanted a short barrelled birdshead gun to their own liking.

As for the grips,, you'd best plan on having a custom set made. The original grip frame was cut & re-welded & made into that shape. Looking at the picture,, that g/f started life as a "NXR3-RED."

akmania

Single-Sixer
The grips are a little longer than the Ruger's,they fit my hand better.

Star43

Buckeye
What do you think about what type of grip frame / grips that's on it? I was wanting to get a set of checkered walnut grips from Altamont .
Think about it before you order grips from Altamont, especially for your gun. Your gun has had a lot of work on it seems.....On a standard Single Six right from the factory, for it, it seems you can order 10 sets of grips from those people and they will fit 10 different ways, sometimes And that is on a standard factory gun.....From Ruger (whom Altamont is the maker) I have personally ordered 3 sets, and all 3 are different in how they fit the Same gun....Frust

Star43

Buckeye
Yes, it can be frustrating when they don't fit right, especially if you really want them to fit right. Contender is correct on his suggestion. His last paragraph explains it well. Good luck !! 👍

akmania

Single-Sixer
Think about it before you order grips from Altamont, especially for your gun. Your gun has had a lot of work on it seems.....On a standard Single Six right from the factory, for it, it seems you can order 10 sets of grips from those people and they will fit 10 different ways, sometimes And that is on a standard factory gun.....From Ruger (whom Altamont is the maker) I have personally ordered 3 sets, and all 3 are different in how they fit the Same gun....Frust
Yeah I know, before I compared the the grips I was gonna order some. Afterwards I could see they were made different. I wonder if I sent them the white grips or a template if they would make some for it.Or if they even do that.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Whether it started as fixed sight or adjustable sight gun, it needed close to the same amount of welding and machining to make the sight channel and round off the top strap.

The grip frame is alloy so it wasn't welded, it had to be heli arced.

Last edited:

Latest posts