Remington Thunderbolt ammo jamming 10-22 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have no need for something as new as an RAR and I'm glad two people in the universe found a gun that likes Thunderbolts.

Ammo bashing? Sure. Thunderbolts are trash. But good for the 0.0000007% of the population that can use them. They're winning.
I have some advice for you: Maybe...and hear me out, here...it's time for you to stop guzzling gas. :oops: Hey, just sayin'....;):LOL:

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have avoided Remington Thunderbolts purely on all of the negative reports on gun forums like this. I have had pretty good results from most different brands of .22 ammo. One bad experience was I bought a box of Federal Auto-match and it differed a lot in velocity one round to the next. I mean just the sound of the report told you this. I avoided this ammo after that until the ammo shortage a few years back and I picked some more up just because it was available and the second batch was just fine.

My second experience. Several years back I found a little used Rossi 62SA, copy of the Winchester model 62A, at a local pawn shop. Externally the little rifle looked just like new, not a scratch or blueing wear at all. I will admit that I bought it without really looking at the bore like I should have. I took it home and shot it a little bit and it functioned ok but the accuracy was just all over the place. I took it to my workbench to look it over better and I found that the barrel was leaded worse than any rifle barrel I had encountered. I spent probably 2-3 hours with gun solvent and a ramrod with bronze bristle cleaning that barrel. Finally after removing all of the lead I was nervous whether it would just do the same thing again, but it did not. It has shot just fine ever after. I would really like to know what kind of ammo the previous owner had shot through that little rifle.

bobski

Hunter
won many 22 matches with thunderbolts out of my hi standards.
lost count on how many students i taught with them too.
but i will say, every time someone would give me a 10-22 in on a trade, i got rid of it. in my world, it wasnt the ammo, it was the gun every time. sorta like fruitcake. guys would pass the 10-22 on like a hot potato. forgive me for saying it but a 10-22 is the (yugo) of the 22 world. give me a tube fed hi standard any day.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Wow, that surprises me. In my opinion, the Ruger 10-22 is just about as good as it gets in an inexpensive .22 semi-auto rifle. Now the Marlin model 60 is a whole different story, I won't own one of them.

hittman

Staff member
I think the 10/22 and the Remington Nylon series of guns are the 2 best selling 22 rifles in the world. Maybe over 7 MILLION total sold.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have some advice for you: Maybe...and hear me out, here...it's time for you to stop guzzling gas. :oops: Hey, just sayin'....;):LOL:
Do as you preach from a balsa pulpit and bash this guy below too.
Garbage in, garbage out. Rem TB ammo is garbage.
Right on.
I think the 10/22 and the Remington Nylon series of guns are the 2 best selling 22 rifles in the world. Maybe over 7 MILLION total sold.
Yep. I bet there were more Marlin 60's than the Nylons but I am not sure. I know I have two of the three and will never own the third.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
That's probably why I don't have a Nylon. They are super expensive now for no real reason other than nostalgia. Well, crap. I have some stuff like that too. Never got the appeal of the Remington nylon. My bad.

But after reading all the posts again, I seem to be the only one out of dozens that got crapped on for crapping on Thunderbolts. Go figure.

hittman

Staff member
When my Uncle Mike came home from Vietnam in about 1971 I was 12. He took me rabbit hunting ( or maybe squirrel? ) with his Nylon 66 so my first attachment was sentimental. I always kept an eye out for them and picked up a few over the years. The most common Mohawk Brown could be had used in the $150 range when I started collecting.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
The only action types I have found to work consistently with Thunderbolts have been single-shots, bolt-actions and revolvers. I long ago quit even trying them in anything else. Leverguns? Nope. Semiautos? No way.

I find it hard to believe that ALL 22LR ammo is made to the same specs even if one company owns several brands.
As far as I can tell, they aren't. Some may be similar,, but keep in mind how many types of .22 LR there really are. Subsonic, standard, and high velocity. All different types of loads and weights. Hollow points, flat heads, rounded, etc.

I stopped using Remington quite awhile back. WAY too many problems. While I use some CCI mini-mags and Blazers, and just started using Federal Punch, my absolute favorite ammo is made by a company that I almost never see mentioned here- Aguila. Awesome quality. I use Super Extra, their subsonics, and hollow points. I never have any problems with this brand- and they also shoot clean, so less maintenance. Nicely priced.
They are made in Mexico, and are probably the top rimfire maker in the world.

They have absolutely nothing to do with Vista Outdoor, who make CCI, Federal, and Remington. HOWEVER, Vista is in the process of selling off all it's entire firearms related businesses to Czechoslavak Group in Czechoslavia for 1.91 billion dollars. I am pretty sure this is a Czech government run company. If this goes through, you will probably find some quality drop in CCI and Federal as well.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way connected to the Aquila brand. I am just a very satisfied customer.

About 10-12 years ago, I bought some Aguila .22 just to try out, and was definitely impressed with their 'quality control' - looked like the worst on the planet (see my Post #41 ;^). Swore I would never buy another box, but recently wanted to try some heavy-bullet .22LR ammo in a 16" 1-7 twist AR barrel, so I bought some Aguila 60 gr. (which was the heaviest I could find). Haven't shot any yet, but I'm hoping for the best! Maybe I'll get lucky, and the Aguila will function as reliably as the Thunderbolt did, in my last .22 auto pistol (Post #48).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Last edited:

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
Interesting. I purchased a couple buckets of the Remington Goldens years ago when 22 ammo was difficult to find. Didn't shoot much of it until I got into a 22 steel plate league at my indoor range. I put many new parts in my MK III Hunter for thr handgun and I now use a Ruger LVT with the Hogue stock and a few new internal partsd for the rifle. I have found the Goldens have fed much better after doing some work to my MK III. I use it primarily for practice where an occasional jam isn't a big deal. I can go out and shoot for hours and multiple days and never have a problem even in rapid fire. There are just enough failures that I don't use it in competition. I sweep the range and there are often misfires rounds on the floor, often they are the Remingtons.

I reworked all of my 10 yugo pistol mags by rounding all leading edges and polishing everything. It makes a big difference and is not hard to do. I have not taken a rotary mag apart but will need to someday. I have had many people say the 15s don't jam as often as the 25s. I don't use the 25 in competition, too risky and I don't need that many rounds. Some guys use them though.

Snake45

Hawkeye
...recently wanted to try some heavy-bullet .22LR ammo in a 16" 1-7 twist AR barrel, so I bought some Aguila 60 gr. (which was the heaviest I could find). Haven't shot any yet, but I'm hoping for the best!
I did exactly that a decade or more ago. I shot the 60 grain Aguilas in some ARs with .22 conversions, both 1:12 and 1:7 barrels. They all functioned fine, but I got NO appreciable increase in accuracy over common bulk junk, so didn't think they were worth the higher price.

My most lasting impression of that whole session was the amazing STINK of Aguila ammo! :eek:

I'll be interested hearing how your tests go. Please post the results! ;)

Latest posts