Remington Thunderbolt ammo jamming 10-22 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cv540

Bearcat
I recently aquired a new 10-22 (Backpacker takedown) with 4 included factory magazines.

In shooting it initially I began using some Remington Thunderbolt ammunition to basically use it up, as isnt a favorite of mine.

In loading the first rotary magazine, after getting 3 or 4 in the magazine it jammed. I had to take the magazine apart to remove the rounds.

I had an older 10-22 magazine from an older rifle and it loaded and fed these same Thunderbolt cartridges without an issue.

I then tried loading the Thunderbolt ammunition in the 3 other new magazines and found that it jammed the magazines in 2 of the 3. So in total it jammed in 3 of the 4 new magazines.

After taking the magazines apart and emptying them I found the the Thunderbolt ammunition would consistently jam them during the loading process.

I then tried a couple different types of other ammunition, CCI, other Remington and the magazines loaded and fed normally.

I pitched a call into Ruger and they agreed to send out one new magazine to see if that worked.

Wondering if any other members have encountered anything similar?

As stated earlier, the Remington Thunderbolt is not a favorite of mine, and I wont be buying it in the future, but wondering if the new magazines Ruger are producing have been problematic to anyone else.

Any 'new' magazine(especially those made of polymer in a mass production environment) MAY have finish and function issues. A small imperfection or burr can cause the problems you describe.
When you 'took the mags apart' to empty, did you notice or look for burrs or molding sprues within the magazines?

cv540

Bearcat
I did look at them but probably not close enough. Did not notice anything that stood out.

gunman42782

Hunter
It's funny how .22s are finiky things. My wife has a Walther P22 that absolutely loves Remington Thunderbolts. But it wont feed Federal Auto Match. All my other .22s feed the Federal just fine, and most of them have no problems with the Thunderbolts, other than it's pretty dirty stuff.

Well, I hate to break it to you guys but Remington Thunderbolt ammo is made by the same guys/company that makes Federal and CCI. All of these companies are owned and controlled by Jason Vanderbrink CEO at Vista Outdoors. In regards to the projectiles, all 22 rimfire bullets are made of pure lead, as soft as it gets. I am sure there is some hardness on the surface imparted by the swaging process but not much due to the nature of lead. Some of the better bullets have mechanical coating of copper or brass which raises the hardness a little. I have never encountered a plated standard velocity 22 LR. Some of the most accurate SV Target has the gooiest lubes, others more like a hard paraffin with what appears to be graphite or molybdenum disulfide additive. There is now 22 LR ammo with lead-free projectiles (I assume they are zinc roto castings) but the reports are that they are not too accurate. If you are getting lead strips out of the barrel of your firearm you aren't cleaning enough, clean after every 500 rounds. In my gunsmithing business I clean a lot of 22 LR rifles and handguns, not because of accuracy issues but malfunctions. I have had, in the past, to drive a cleaning rod through the barrel with a mallet (50 years of shooting without cleaning a bolt action Remington 500 series). The lead came out in strips and slivers. Honestly when I looked down the barrel the first time I thought the rifling had been "shot out". The rifling was crisp and clean after my efforts.

In regards to the 10/22 loading issues, I suspect a burr or a bump in the molding of the plastic parts, or the feed lips interfering with the bullet nose. Seems every ammo manufacturer has a unique bullet nose (ogive) configuration. Ely has a case rim that is only a suggestion. Evidently, the overall loaded length and case diameter are the only dimensions that is held sacred.

Enigma

Hunter
And don't forget, WInchester recently introduced the .21 Sharp! Same chamber dimensions, but a smaller bore, intended for lead-free projectiles and intended to replace the .22LR.

Thunderduds are the Yugo of .22LR ammo, and I won't even buy them. But, I haven't fired more than a few hundred .22s in probably 20 years. Guess I need to get busy!

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
A guy at the range had an old bolt action 22 and some CCI's..... couldn't hit a pie plate at 50'........ I gave him some bulk Federals and his gun started to drill.....I am guessing those CCI's were either a tad smaller or his rifling couldn't handle the velocity.....either way....I was amazed how dramatic the difference was between 2 good rounds in a particular gun

Latest posts