Bought .22 ammo at Wal-Mart lately?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
Just picked up five boxes of Federal 525 bulk pack at Kames Sporting Goods (my local gunshop) today. Paid $15.99/box, which is about $3 cheaper than Walmart.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
It really doesn't bother me. Why should it, really? I just say "Both" and swipe the card.
The reasons they ask have been pretty well explained.

However, I usually can get a better deal on ammo when one of the LGS has a big sale, which they seem to do every couple of months or so. I'll get a case of them at $15.99/ea. They usually have CCI Blazer, Fed Lightning, or Rem Golden (I've found the "new improved" ones are pretty good actually). Fortunately, most of my guns like one or the other.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

In defense of the few W-M employees who do have a brain:

We have several W-Ms all about the same driving time from here. The Super Center where I usually go has a sporting goods dept. that's either totally unmanned and it'll take an hour to find someone w/ the right keys, pass code for the register, and so forth, or there will be someone right there who's pretty knowledgeable (all things considered.)

One of the gals who sells me .22 ammo gets to the question on the register about handgun/rifle use and asks: "It wants you to lie about your age. Do you want to be 18 or 21 again?" (Another year and 21 will go into my real age three times...)

Yesterday we went to the same store so a buddy could get his hunting license. In front of us was a gentleman maybe just a little older than myself. He had all kinds of fishing "stuff", needed a fishing license, and had a large bottle of wine w/ the rest of the goodies. The lady taking care of him got him his license first, a now computerized procedure that starts w/ swiping your driver's license. Then the conversation came to the bottle of wine. It was for his wife. So she'd let him go fishing, sorta: she goes w/ him, but doesn't take the fishing part too seriously as long as she can sip a glass of wine.

When the lady rang up the order, he started teasing her that she hadn't carded him for the wine. She didn't miss a beat: "Well, I figured if you've been married long enough to figure out what kind of wine it takes to get your wife to let you go fishing, you're at least 21!" Then she let it slip: she'd already seen his driver's license... "just in case."

Rick C

steelhawk

Bearcat
Sometimes giving a clever reply is easier than trying to educate the sales clerk, but education is to be preferred when it can be done.