I didn’t even know I needed this…

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jav

Single-Sixer
I don't know about thinning the herd but I feel I have to stop some time naw just joking

Star43

Blackhawk
DITTO! My first buy was at age 15 of a shinning new Marlin 39A Lever Action .22 from a Western Auto Store in Buffalo. My latest has yet to arrive but is due this week. This one is a new production Belgian FN Hi Power 9mm Pistol that will be joining about 2 dozen FN & Browning cousins in my safe. I am a few years from 90 years of age. My downsizing effort so far has been limited to my enormous comic book collection. The next target is many years of The American Rifleman magazine.
After going back and looking at the posts, the best part about your 2 dozen Hi Powers and all of the Ruger revolvers mentioned throughout this thread, is that there is No black plastic involved in any of these guns !! Unless maybe a grip or two. To me, that is a pleasant thought !! 😊😊

pawncop

Blackhawk
I'm now to the point where I'm no longer actively looking for additional firearms. Unless it's a smoking good deal, or really unusual firearm I will probably pass. I have been on a.22 rifle kick lately and have added seven (7) to the fold. I'm not shooting as much and by the time I finish with these new rifles I think I'll be ready to thin the herd a bit.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Actually I've just about got this disease cured. I'm gonna turn 79 next week. None of my grandkids have much interest in guns, my daughter has no interest, and my son has casual interest but nothing to the extent that I've always had. I reduced my collection by probably 40 % and now don't have any more that I'm willing to get rid of right now and don't have anything on my want list. I had a good friend that owned a pawnshop in the past and that was definitely a bad influence, but he has gone out of business. I used to read these forums and something I would see would give me the urge to buy, but anymore I just look and admire but don't go looking to buy. Also I've pretty much quit going to gun shows and that helps.

Star43

Blackhawk
Actually I've just about got this disease cured. I'm gonna turn 79 next week. None of my grandkids have much interest in guns, my daughter has no interest, and my son has casual interest but nothing to the extent that I've always had. I reduced my collection by probably 40 % and now don't have any more that I'm willing to get rid of right now and don't have anything on my want list. I had a good friend that owned a pawnshop in the past and that was definitely a bad influence, but he has gone out of business. I used to read these forums and something I would see would give me the urge to buy, but anymore I just look and admire but don't go looking to buy. Also I've pretty much quit going to gun shows and that helps.
Sounds like you have a plan. Hope you have a great upcoming Birthday !! 🙂

jav

Single-Sixer
I know what you mean I am turning 70 next year I am definitely not buying any more guns. My kids and grandkids have no interest.My son will get what I have left .

Rclark

Hunter
Padded soft gun cases shouldn't be used for long term storage
I know people say this, but it is how I store mine. Nary a problem. Of course we live in a 'low' humidity area which might be why it works fine here high in the mountains.

I have set a new record by not buying a gun this whole month
Last revolver I've bought was back in 2020. Time flies :) . I think I may have kicked the habit ;) ... so to speak.

Last edited:
My record of not buying a gun for a month is still in tact. The truth is Monday is three weeks since my shoulder replacement surgery, and there were so many people there I was paranoid that I might fall while I was walking around. Under better conditions I saw a couple of handguns I might have looked at a little more but decided I just needed to get back home and ice my shoulder some more. I did run into deerstalker, a good guy, and I forget his handle akbluz, Steve a very good guy. It's harder when you run into friends and you end up standing in the way visiting, but then you are more liable to get bumped. Probably better off being home. At least I'm staying out of trouble.

Last edited:
Biggest driving factor for me is looking in the gun cabinet or safe and seeing an empty spot..................
This, exactly. Along with realizing your total gun count is not an even number…

Although a couple years back I had a safe full of AR's and HK's. No single actions and only 1 lever gun. I somehow stumbled across a .44 Super OM that WMG was selling here. That was all it took. I now have 16 Ruger single actions, and a bunch of Marlin and Henry lever guns.

I've been a member of the "Gun a month" club since Oct 2022 and I'm one month ahead currently!

Last edited:

xtratoy

Buckeye
Since buying guns is getting so restricted here in Washington, I'm going to try another hobby for a while and hopefully not break anything. And I'm talking bones here. I just inherited 2 Savage 99's, a early Remington 700 243, a Remington 660 6.5 Magnum and a 1936 Winchester 62 22 rimfire pump action. I've always been interested in Observed trials riding..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_120922_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_120922_Chrome.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 16

larry8

Single-Sixer
I've just turned 81 and am still buying guns that I like. I finally got the
'Old Man Rugers' favorite 4 revolvers, a security 6, a 5.5" 44 Redhawk, a 7.5" 44 Super Redhawk, and the best one, an Old Army. All in stainless and new (Except the Old Army). But I still am interested in a few of the new guns, maybe I'll buy one this month.

Star43

Blackhawk
I've just turned 81 and am still buying guns that I like. I finally got the
'Old Man Rugers' favorite 4 revolvers, a security 6, a 5.5" 44 Redhawk, a 7.5" 44 Super Redhawk, and the best one, an Old Army. All in stainless and new (Except the Old Army). But I still am interested in a few of the new guns, maybe I'll buy one this month.
I think the Old Army was Bill Ruger's one of if not his favorite gun. The company lost money on every gun they made, but he insisted "on making them as long as he was alive"....it didn't take long for the company to drop it after he passed away. If he knew he was losing money on each one, to me that kind of speaks volumes of how he felt about the Old Army !!! Good purchase there !!!

wproct

Single-Sixer
I think the Old Army was Bill Ruger's one of if not his favorite gun. The company lost money on every gun they made, but he insisted "on making them as long as he was alive"....it didn't take long for the company to drop it after he passed away. If he knew he was losing money on each one, to me that kind of speaks volumes of how he felt about the Old Army !!! Good purchase there !!!
This is what I miss about Bill Ruger. He would make certain guns, just because.

Latest posts